1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cc.net Spelling Police Survivor game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Band Geek Mobster

You picked the wrong guy to snipe!

You and your fellow Dream Cultists will be under close surveillance from the Mobster from this point on. I will pick you all off one by one, starting with you!

:mad:

;)

2. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Ah yes! I was forgetting American Bumper-Sticker English. How silly of me. The Dictionary of American Bumper-Sticker English must also be the one that includes the terms: busted plays, toys-r-us, nite, and y'all. :D:D:D My mistake. Carry on.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hoop T sniped me , I place a and lot together to spell alot which is not a word . supercalifragilisticexpealidociuos

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I have eliminated two players. This is becoming an obsession. MUST
    KILL
    AGAIN!

1. Crispee
    2. moestavern
    3. ?????

I am coming for you all. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Here's a tip for all of you rabid spellers out there. Scope this link out....there's a cool little button that fits on the "Links" bar of your browser.

yourDictionary.com Quick Lookup Button

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can I just go ahead and eliminate HOOP-T right now because he's such an ass? ;)

I present the evidence :

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26432

He spells the word "all-around" as two words "all around". It should be hyphenated. Does that count? I figure it should count since moe got killed for "alot".

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Score the kill for Dr. of Dunk.

<b>Rules of Hyphenation:</b> there are several correct times to hyphenate; we will only accept hyphenations found at dictionary.com. OK!

#88 heypartner, Dec 19, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2001
  9. heypartner

You *are* taking target practice.

No! "girl's: is NOT in the dictionary, nor is "girls' ", thus not covered by spelling, but rather punctuation rules. I should kill you for that.

By extension, I rule HOOP-T missed due to DoD taking target practice with testing the boundaries of spelling and punctuation rules.

Before this starts, you can be killed for failing to conjugate verbs correctly. I'm not going to call it, though, because tense is too dependent on context. The accused must apply their own Honor Code.

#89 heypartner, Dec 19, 2001
  10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

All this talk about sniping and I can't join in the fun :(

Until that day comes :)

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

THEN IT IS A BLOODY KILL... LET HIM DIE!!!!! :mad:

... my Hoop-T rollin', tailpipe draggin'...

12. heypartner

I'm going to repeat this since we are on the top of the page.

Score the kill of HOOP-T for Dr of Dunk.

<b>Compound Word Hyphenation:</b> It is a kill only if it is at dictionary.com.

<b>Possessive Apostrophe:</b> This is a punctuation error not a spelling error, unless the word is in the dictionary. I believe "its" and "it's" is the only possessive vs contraction ruling in the dictionary.

<b>Verb Conjugation Errors:</b> Some are obvious, but since tense is often a matter of context...I'm not going to make the call. Let the accused call the hit or not.

#92 heypartner, Dec 19, 2001
  13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Actually, "all around" or all-around" are both correct. Either way is acceptable. I have consulted an English teacher on this. In addition, check either one with the spell checker. Hyphenation is punctuation, and since I spelled all around correctly, even if it wasn't a correct term (which it is), you miss. Both all and around are words. Both are spelled correctly.

"ALOT" is not a word at all. The proper word or words "a lot" is the correct spelling.

So the question is, do non-words count as misspelled?

14. heypartner

HOOP-T :rolleyes: all-around is a compound word, and it must be hyphenated, just like All-American, all-clear, all-star, all-purpose. Your "English Teacher" consultant is wrong. If the hyphenated compound word is in the dictionary, it is supposed to be spelled that way, no ifs ands or buts about it.

DoD with the hit of HOOP-T. :p

#94 heypartner, Dec 19, 2001
  15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Oh, by the way, it is "hyphenated." :p

Hunt away. You can't fade me. Bring it.

16. heypartner

HOOP-T,

Yeah, but you are wrong about "all-around."

You shouldn't have pushed it.

I change my mind. It's a kill for DoD.

HOOP-T is out. :p

Keep masterbating ;) if you want.

<font size="1">btw: I'm sure you noticed that I got that edit in within 3 minutes, then went back to take out the "whine" and explain the hyphenation rule more. As you can see, your quoted post is within the 3 minutes. I'm not in the game, so why do I care about the edit showing.</font>

#96 heypartner, Dec 19, 2001
  17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Pushed what? Do you think you are upsetting me by calling it a kill now? PUH-LEASE (OOOPS, it's please, now I am officially out by actually misspelling something). :D

Besides, I took you out before you even established the rest of the rules. I think I am ok with whatever happens in the contest after that. :p

You are "removing" me because I talked a little junk, and "pushed it" after you had already said the reverse. Sour grapes? :D

Happy spelling all.....;)

18. heypartner

yeah, whatever. I thought I was trying to make a point to DoD not to fish for rulings. All the rulings are in the dictionary.

I was trying to make an example of DoD for being wishy-washy. I called "all-around" a <b>technical miss</b> for being wishy-washy, plus I actually didn't want you out so early, but it is a clear misspelling.

So, ba-bye! :p Don't whine on your way out.

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Hey, it's all-good.

:cool:

20. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

Damn. Thought I had a kill, but it was apparently a few hours before the game started.