1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broken Promises, Broken Dreams: Boston Herald on Why Omer Got Angry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 19, 2013.

1. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Morey should have taken that offer from Boston instead of keeping Omer around as a walking corpse.

2. supa

supa Contributing Member

Actually Asik was not a highly thought of free agent. He was restricted and averaging around 20 minutes a night and less than 4 points a game. Morey caught a lot of flack from the national media over the signing. He also was the first to use the poison pill balloon payment.
    So let's not say Asik didn't think he could get the most money over 3 years in Houston or have Chicago match any other 4 year offer from a team which they would have as he was a restricted free agent.
    Instead of looking at those facts you throw out that Morey says anything to get what he wants because he went to business school. That's a pretty big assumption on your part instead of looking at the fact that Morey offered the most money and quickest path toward Asiks free agency.

#142 supa, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Supposedly people who went to business school (Morey) lie more than people who went to law school (sports agents)

and then back in the real world....

4. hlcc

hlcc Member

There's nothing sad or pathetic about what Asik is doing.

The only thing "real" about professional sports is the $$$, being on a contending team or even winning the championship are all "empty" if they don't result in more $$.

Fan's priorities are very different from that of a players. His #1 priority is securing as large a contract as possible after his current contract expires, playing limited minutes as Howard's back up will not help him secure a large contract next year. It's better for him personally to have heavy minutes for a scrub team than to play limited minutes in a contending team

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Meanwhile he is still collecting his "paychecks" right? K, that's what I thought.

6. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Good move by Danie Angie to get this story out. I understand where Asik is coming from, but you may as well go to work while Morey tries to get a deal for him.

The fact we gave him this chance as a starter should owes us at least his best until traded.

7. MichaelG281713

I don't understand why everybody wants to give Omer a pass on being such a diva. Morey gave him the big contract. So what if he told him he wouldn't bring in a center to start over him. He should know, when you have a chance to get a player like Howard, you get him. That's what was best for the Rox.

I'd like to get rid of Lin's contract, so I can give him a hard time. But, at least I respect the dude's professionalism and character. I can't say for that Omer at this point. The guy doesn't even care about winning a ring. It's also funny how, if we didn't give him his contract, he'd likely still be stuck behind Noah in CHi. So, no, I don't get where he's coming from. And, no, I'm not cool with him trying to ditch the Rox by completely becoming a nuisance.

He's a grown ass man acting like a little kid behind the scenes. He hurt his own trade value immensely.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Most sports agents don't have law degrees. There are more ethical violations you are vulnerable to as a lawyer.

9. hlcc

hlcc Member

I'm glad Asik have his priorities right. I'd call him a complete utter moron if he was willing to sacrifice significant personal financial gains at this stage of his career just to play for a contending team.

For Asik, his NBA playing days will probably end when he's in his mid 30s. What the hell would he rather have when he's in his 50s, a stupid NBA championship ring or $4 - $5 million more.......

10. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

if they did make those promises during recruitment, then it is bait and switch, although maybe it's unbinding, but breaking a promise is still bad faith, no matter how big a textwall you put up, you cant change the fact.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It's called a contract for a reason. Asik is the 2013-14 Royce White. Wants to get paid. Wants to get an unearned spot and pt. Wants to pout and make things up when things don't go his way. Man up Asik and show some responsibility on the contract you signed.

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If its not in your contract then don't expect it to happen

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Morey wants to win a championships. And so maybe lying and cheating and a little backstabbing is what needs to be done in order to get that done. Go Rockets!!!

14. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

exactly. even the team wont go for the ring if it cost several millions more luxury tax, why should the players care, why couldnt they choose what the team did before, more dollars rather than the ring. why people only blame the players being unprofessional and when it come to the organization, well it's business. this hypocrisy really make me sick.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Spoken like a true it's not my fault that entitlement is what my mom and dad taught me person.

16. MichaelG281713

If it's about money, then we paid Asik. The Rox paid him handsomely at that.

He's not going to get some jumbo contract by going to a scrub team to get his minutes. People saw what he can do last year, and there's still wasn't a good deal offered. So where's the logic in the possibility he's going to get a lot more money that he's making now.

If anything, if he plays a role and we win a ring this season, teams will be knocking on our door like crazy trying to pry him away.

Why would another team give up a true asset for a guy who quits on a team so easily? If he'll do it to the Rox, why wouldn't he do it to them as well? Needs to help his own case.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Or maybe the agent is lying for damage control on his client. Agents have been known to lie.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They just added the clause...... You are the starting C .....unless a Top 2-3 Center joins our organization

19. hlcc

hlcc Member

Yes the Rockets paid him and paid him very well with his current contract. That's not what's on him mind now, he's thinking about his next contract.

What do you think is more likely to yield a large contract next year? Him playing limited minutes while putting up numbers that's significantly down across the board from last years? Or playing heavy minutes for a scrub team and perhaps show some kind of improvement in his numbers compared to last year? He will be entering into his prime playing years soon, he'll obviously aim for a contract higher than his current one,, and not looking for a paycut.
    To me the 1st scenario will result in a lot GMs viewing him as a good to great back up center that can perhaps start in some teams => not worth $8.3 mil or more per year. With the 2nd scenario, some team might sign him to a rich contract ala Deandre Jordan, Javale Mcgee etc.

Also nobody is trying to pry away the role players from a championship team.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

No, the dude is a starter and cares about being a starter. It isn't about money and stats.