1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broken Promises, Broken Dreams: Boston Herald on Why Omer Got Angry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 19, 2013.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

You trust no one in this business, Morey and the Rockets included. NBA is a dirty business like others, run by less than honorable people. Asik got a rude awakening and he was just trying to do what he thinks is best for him. Some of you who called him names need to do the same with Morey.

2. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

He mentioned specifically about the benching so we know he is definitely not happy about it. Now, would it that unbelievable to call your agent about getting you out of a team before your are permanently labeled a bench/role player? He has enough doubters about his ability even as a starter.

3. trock

trock Member

At the end of the day, s*** happens, things change. I can't really blame Omer for wanting to start, but this whole sitting out and demanding to be traded when the team is trying to find chemistry and there's such an obvious need for a center is not a good look.

4. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Dude doesn't care about winning a ring or his NBA team. Dude only cares about his own stats and contract money. This is what is wrong with 95% of the NBA.

5. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I'm with DaDakota on this. Asik has every reason to ask for this trade. The dude gives it everything he had last year only to be displaced. It sucks, it's a business, but dude has every right to a starting job. If not for Omer Asik the team would not have made the playoffs!

6. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

I don't fault him for wanting to get out of Houston and put up numbers for his next contract else where. But to sabotage his own value and refuse to play when he's receiving paychecks and obligated by his contract demonstrates poor characters, not to mention really stupid.

1 person likes this.
  7. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

It's a two way street. Unless you are an established superstar, the teams can drop you with a simple call. There is really no job security so players have to look out for themselves.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

No sympathy from me. This is professional sports; promises only count if you're LeBron or Kobe. Everything that's said has "for the time being" or "if nothing changes" attached to it. In Asik's case, it he were better at finishing around the rim and had developed a 10-12 foot jumper, we probably wouldn't have made a run at Howard in the first place.

9. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

10. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

teams going back on their promises happen all the time in sports. It's business, and Asik should have been aware of that. Though I have a more negative view of Morey than ever before. I have a negative view of the entire management and ownership of the Rockets. I do like the players overall and I hope they can gel and become great. we'll see

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Doesn't Enes Kanter start ahead of him for the Turkish National team ?

12. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Perhaps Morey was told by Omer he would learn how to make a layup. Call it even and get back on the court.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

This story makes no absolutely no sense. The Rockets big whale that entire offseason was pursuit of Dwight Howard. Morey was making public statements left and right in regards to that pursuit. In fact, I remember specifically in an interview whether he thought having Asik would affect whether or not they get Dwight. And Morey said they could still easily work out a trade even if Chicago didn't match our offer sheet. Morey also expressed numerous times how he was disappointed that Orlando traded him to LA.

The Rockets promising Asik the starting job in 2012 offseason is like a guy proposing marriage to a girl while openly admits he's consistently been trying to get into the pants of another, much hotter girl.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes it's just business and he should know that. The Rockets are trying to win titles around here. So they upgraded that position by adding Dwight. They also started Asik once he was healthy, didn't they not? So then tell me why he didn't take full advantage of that opportunity? He lost his starting job because he allowed his feelings to get in the way. Crying about he wants to be traded. Pimp that is a terrible way to handle business. You are getting paid, what 5 million. Come LOL bro

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

This isn't the NFL or European basketball. NBA contracts are a different beast.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I too find such a promise hard to believe.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree with others...I don't believe it. Sour grapes from a spurned trade partner and/or agent lying for damage control. I'm leaning toward the later

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Someone mentioned loyalty. Ummmm...this is a professional sports organization.

First loyal is putting a winning team on the floor. Check. Oh what you want another 3 games over .500 club ? Asik has been pouting and half stepping it. Step up like a man so your wish can be granted dude! You have 20 million reasons why.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

touche'

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

I'm a big Morey fan, but the guy would say anything to get what he wants. Lies don't bother him at all as would normal people. That comes with the business school degree, most people I've dealt with who've been to business school are like that.

(Another example is Mitt Romney, whom incidentally Morey supported. He would say absolutely anything if he thought it would get him elected, the concept of whether it was truthful or not did not enter consideration.)

Had he not told Omer what Omer wanted to hear, he would have gone to Portland or elsewhere, so in his mind he did what he had to do to get the result he wanted.

Now, on the other side, we have a guy who's grown up in a more traditional society, where one's word is one's honor. He now feels lied to, disrespected, and has nothing but contempt for the postmodern weasel who's his employer. Tough situation...