1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broken Promises, Broken Dreams: Boston Herald on Why Omer Got Angry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I am a LOFH but I will give points that Lin is handling his playing time like a pro...unlike someone else...

2. Hak34

Hak34 Member

I can't even begin to explain where I would try to start to have a conversation with you about your comments. It's all over the place and nonsensical. no ones talking about a awarding ridiculous contract to players.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

If what Omer said is true, then he is the stupidest person to ever grace this planet. Morey was proclaiming loudly that he wanted Dwight Howard, before, during, and after signing Asik to his offer sheet.

So basically, either Asik and his agent can't understand American internet, or they signed the offer sheet with the Rockets knowing the risks of playing behind Dwight.

Which do you think is more likely?

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree. They gambled that we wouldn't get Dwight, which looked like a safe bet last year at that time, but lost.

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

[​IMG]

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's true to a certain extent. But the reality is, there aren't that many smart GMs like Morey. Maybe there will be more in the future. Historically, talent evaluation has been based on either volume production (points, minutes, rebounds, etc.) or perceived potential (mostly about athleticism). Asik had little of those in Chicago that was going for him. He was lucky to have Morey giving him the kind of contract.

Now that he knew he could command a large contract with the conventional talent evaluation mode most GMs are still operating on, he knew he probably would be lowballed if he stayed a sub-15mpg backup.

So it's really ironic. Morey was both his savior and destroyer. And yes, Asik is kind of stupid in how he handles the situation. It surprised me. I thought he was better than that. I am guessing that he is actually an emotional guy disguised in a reserved manner. The Howard move probably hit him so hard that he could not function rationally.

7. hlcc

hlcc Member

It makes perfect sense. Like I said before a player's priorities and for that matter the organization's priorities are very different from the priorities of a fan. A player's #1 priority is $$$, his #2 priority is $$$, his #3 priority is still $$,, maybe somewhere down the list at priority #10 maybe it's winning a championship before retiring. Any player that values a championship before $$ is a complete and utter moron.

Sure as a fan you don't care what is best for Asik and only care about the Rockets winning, but some people are spouting complete nonsense that 1) if they were in his situation they'd care more about playing on a contending them than the value of his next contract or 2) He's whining excessively and a "real" NBA player would not do this.

8. hlcc

hlcc Member

It's probably not just that. He's entering into his prime playing years, he's probably aiming for a contract richer $25 mil for 3 years for his next contract. Asik played great last year, he probably figured he can show some more improvements this year and probably land a Deandre Jordan or Javale Mcgee type of contract. That's kinda hard to achieve as as a 6th man type of player with limited minutes.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Give me some of that broken dreams along with 25mil.

11. RRockets

RRockets Member

The same goes to Morey, doesn't it?

I mean, Morey was so smart that he came up with those poison pill contracts. As a result, he got Asik, and JLin. But now, it seems he has to swallow those pills himself.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Bit of a crappy choice though. I hate terms like poison pill and CBA loophole but the way the NBA is setup his options were very limited.

In any event his agent should have let him in on the ultra secret that our roster is constantly changing and just because he was the starter then doesn't mean that will always be the situation.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

And from Asik's perspective, what are the odds a team will take a cap hit of 8M/yr in exchange for 15 minutes a game? It wouldn't have seemed like a huge gamble.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

The "poison pill" doesn't really affect the Rox in any way, because we've only been paying Asik (and Lin) 5M a year the past 2 years. In fact if Asik didn't demand a trade then chances are Morey wouldn't have made him available.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I dont understand how people are siding with Asik on this

Both the Rockets and Asik signed into a mutually agreed upon contract - he would be paid a sum of 25 million over the next 3 seasons for his services.

I totally get that he is upset that his role is going to be reduced - he did very well as a starter - actually one of the top 10 centers in the league despite almost being a complete 0 on the offensive end. He is elite defensively.

All that said - no player should be that naive to believe that a team will not try to upgrade its roster whenever possible - in fact even with the signing if Asik beat out Howard in camp he may have been the starting center. The team tried to - at its own expense - try to play both players at the same time despite knowing that it would not work to help appease his desire to still be a starter. The Rockets too have tried to fulfill his wishes by trading him but unfortunately there was no deals that did not result in having the Rockets break even let alone coming out on top. Morey will not make a deal that would hurt the team going forward.

The Rockets tried everything they could - even making up a fake injury to help cover up his image of sulking -- and on top of all this they are even paying him throughout all this.

If anything Asik is in breach of his contract by refusing to play and acting this way. Forget the millions and all - they both signed a contracts - the Rockets are still sending in the checks so he should hold up his end.

Even if the other teams out there need a starting center they are going to see this sort of behavior and its going to be frowned down upon. What if he was traded to Philly and started the rest of the year but then next season they go with a healthy Nerlons Noel to start at the center position? Is he going to do this all over again?

He gets his next deal but the team drafts a stud Center or signs an even better center - is he going to pout? How far will it go? Asik is tarnishing his image big time - hopefully Tellum is in his ear trying to explain to him the situation of things and how much Asik is killing his future earnings.

Big men are paid all the time - everyone has seen what Asik can do - whether he is out there 20 or 40 minutes isnt going to change that - GMs know the caliber player he is - he'll get his contract when the time comes but all this other baggage is just going to deter away any potential teams that want his services.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets also promised that they were going to draft Rashard Lewis also.

17. 6thward

6thward Rookie

Move on and be a professional. Play for your teammates you bum. Who gets guaranteed playing time? What do think this is?

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

His current injury isn't fake, he knee is swollen and he can't play.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Because Asik pouted for a game or two - understandable given the situation - and returned and played hard, accepting his position. Then he got injured, it actually was evidently legitimate, and has been out since. He is on the verge of returning and when he does I believe the team, the coaching staff and Morey believes he will contribute to the best of his ability. Otherwise Morey would have dumped him for a soggy sack of potato chips. Let's just see how this develops.

20. deshen

deshen Member

Really? didn't we just hear from somewhere that Omer's contract prevent him from any trade deal?