1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breyer retiring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. I can't remember the Barrett, Kavanaugh, or Gorsuch votes

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Given that KBJ's confirmation is assured anyway, I'm glad Republicans will mostly be voting against her. It can remind moderates how unreasonable they can be, even when they know they've already lost. This could have been an opportunity for Republicans to vote to confirm en masse to demonstrate a contrast with the hysterical democrats of the Trump picks' confirmations. Instead they elected to go for more red meat for the base. And, as sad as these guys are, it protects them for primary challenges from trumpies who are even more fringe than them.

3. JuanValdez

Actually sounds like an honest position, unlike many I've seen from No votes. I still think he's wrong, specifically regarding his role as a Senator asked to vote on confirmation. But at least it's not an excuse. He's voting no on ideology.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

After the way the Democrat left and the corporate media have behaved during the Kavanaugh hearings, not to mention a long list of other BIG Lies that they have been constantly and insidiously gaslighting the American public with over a good number of years now, the people who supported all of that can G.F. themselves.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Barrett was not qualified. Kavanaugh clearly a controversial topic. Gorsuch controversial because of the GOP holding the seat hostage.

Of the three I think Gorsuch had the best case to be compared to Ketanji Brown Jackson in terms of a qualified candidate being voted on.

Barrett was voted as unqualified for the seat by the ABA and is clearly the least qualified candidate just in terms of professional qualifications in recent memory. Even a Republican voted against her.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol.

MojoMan likes this.
  7. justtxyank

I mean that's what the American Bar Association said, not me.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The American Bar Association is a notoriously partisan outfit, which is not qualified to issue an opinion on these matters that can reasonably be expected to be consistently objective and fair.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed... since Biden would likely need to have nominated a more centrist candidate next time since its likely the senate may shift to republicans... republican opposition to this nominee will suggest they will oppose any nominee... and Biden should just nominate whoever he wants while pointing to their partisan opposition to Judge Jackson (and unwillingness to even have a hearing on Garland).

JuanValdez likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. JuanValdez

Yeah, I figure revenge is the animating motivation for the Republican base to insist that their Senators withhold their votes. After McConnell did Garland dirty, Democrats wanted their pound of flesh from Neil Gorsuch. It was rather a political imperative at that point, even though Gorsuch himself seems like a fine appointment. They couldn't get it from him, couldn't get it from Kavanaugh (though it was close), and couldn't get it from Barrett. But, impotently trying to get it has caused enough ill will that the backlash must come. But it's fine because it can be no more effectual than the protests the last 3 appointments got.

Fortunately, I don't think the opposition to KBJ has been any more caustic than what Barrett got. KBJ and Barrett will shake it off and have fine tenures, whereas probably Kavanaugh (like Clarence Thomas before him) will never fully shake off the ill will from the confirmation hearings. And, I think her confirmation might finally put to bed democratic anger over Garland, though anger regarding Kavanaugh might continue on both sides, and now suspicions of racism over KBJ. In that regard, I guess the vicious cycle in confirmation politics will continue forever.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no worries

14. justtxyank

It's a toxic system in general, but honestly I don't know that we should really have a problem with a senator saying "I won't vote to confirm this person because they they will vote goes against what I believe."

Democrats will never get over the Garland thing because the fall out from that in terms of decisions will linger forever.
    Republicans will never get over the Kavanaugh thing because if you believe he was innocent, then it was the most egregious character assaults of all time.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. justtxyank

I hate to quote myself, but for example, if I were a Senator and I knew a judge would vote against the right of a church/clergy to refuse to marry a gay couple they would not get my vote for confirmation no matter what their qualifications were.

16. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Because that's the type of attitude that leads to a toxic system. It's just going downhill. The ONLY time a Supreme Court nominee can be successful (or even have a hearing) from here onward (actually since Garland) is when one party control both the Senate and the Presidency. That was not the case before Garland.

The Supreme count will join the other branches as horribly partisan soon. A fix is possible but nearly impossible.

Andre0087 and Deckard like this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Big lies like the lie that Trump won the election even though the Republican controlled states agreed that their votes were valid?

18. justtxyank

Yeah, but it is unreasonable to expect political actors in a charged political environment to set aside political factors when evaluating someone will absolutely rule on things important politically.

19. JuanValdez

Many Senators seem to have taken that view. And given that the Constitution doesn't dictate what can be considered in confirmation and that the Senate is at the top of the legislative branch and accountable to no one but the electorate, it's fitting that they have that latitude to decide for themselves what is and is not up for consideration in a confirmation. But in the construct of our separation of powers, I think confirmation works best if it is used only to reject actually unacceptable candidates.