1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breyer retiring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jan 26, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible Manchin and Sinema don't support a Biden nominee but I doubt it. Again if you look at their history they've supported Democrats on nearly all of the major votes. If Biden nominates someone far out of the mainstream I can see them not supporting but my guess is Biden will nominate someone who will be to the Left but still in the mainstream.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There isn't much McConnell can do to stop this one, but hell hath no fury like a Majority Leader McConnell if Thomas or Alito dies. The "standard" will become that a "new Senate, elected in a midterm election and controlled by the executive branch's opposition party" was done so to "provide a bulwark against Supreme Court appointments until the American people can have their say two years later." Take it to the bank.

JayGoogle and jiggyfly like this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

I appreciate his life of public service... I'm not all that familiar with his decisions as a supreme court justice but he is veteran and someone who gave most of his life to less lucrative public avenues in the legal profession.

JayGoogle, mikol13, Nook and 2 others like this.
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

80 isn't old anymore, but i understand the point. as i said, when i'm in the dark place...

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Interesting take from someone who aligns with the party that bashed 78-yr old President Biden on his age.

jiggyfly and ThatBoyNick like this.
  6. basso

Supporting Member

he was bashed for his sentience, not his age.

Astrodome likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The quiet part out loud...

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

so says the self-described 'god-fearing conservative millennial' who hates labels.

Ketanji Brown Jackson[/url], who is 51, fulfills a lot of requirements for the establishment set. She has the same Ivy League credentials as the sitting justices, having earned both her undergraduate and her law degree from Harvard and edited for the Harvard Law Review. She clerked for three federal judges—including Breyer, from 1999 to 2000. If nominated and confirmed, Jackson will follow the same track as Brett Kavanaugh, who also clerked for the justice he ultimately replaced. Also like Kavanaugh—and seven other current and former justices—Jackson would be coming directly from the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, the second-most important court in the country after the Supreme Court.

But Jackson would be the first Black woman to serve on the high court, offering the body a perspective that progressives, in particular, have long wanted to see represented. (Of the 115 justices who have served, all but seven have been white men.) Jackson also has strayed from the typical route of a Court nominee, which matters a lot to Democrats, who have tended to prioritize experience over ideology. After a few years in private practice, she worked as a federal public defender. Later, she served for four years as the Obama-appointed vice chair of the U.S. Sentencing Commission, during which time the commission reduced sentences for many people convicted of drug crimes.
    [​IMG]

London'sBurning and FrontRunner like this.
  9. basso

Supporting Member

we're all sure it'll be a black woman, since Biden promised to appoint one.

and Harris is a non-entity, who was only chosen for the color of her skin.

KBJ is imminently qualified, as is Leondra Kruger, and I doubt either would be seriously opposed in the Senate.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If McConnell is the majority leader in 2023 and there is an opening in the USSC he will do that. He's already said that his actions on the hold of Garland and the rapid confirmation of Barrett had nothing to do with principle but that they were the majority party.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, no way he doesn't appoint a black woman.

Harris was chosen over other black women, but I do think he has to regret that choice at this point.

Depends on what you mean by seriously opposed. Wouldn't be shocked if we see no Republican votes. Would be shocked to see them get more than 5 Republican votes.

12. basso

Supporting Member

let's just say the hearings will be less contentious than they were for the first black man nominated.

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Marshall?

AleksandarN and Nook like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

embarrassing if true

15. NewRoxFan

I guess the 43 republicans in the senate weren't serious in their opposition to Jackson when they voted against her last year?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. basso

Supporting Member

19. NewRoxFan

20. basso

Supporting Member

they'll have to to get it done before the election.