1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Salman Rushdie attacked / stabbed on stage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 12, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

https://www.maisondesreves-france.com/history-blog/history-cathars-extermination-languedoc

The Catholic church has killed a lot in the name of their power/religion.

DD

2. Nook

Nook Member

Okay, lets hear way.

Sorry, but this is a lazy position. First, every major religion on earth has murdered in God's name. Having said that, Catholic and Protestant are different.
    Also you don't understand the history of the Crusades very well if you think that is simple as Christians murdering Muslims. Those areas were Christian areas before the Muslims came in and killed people while conquering those areas, and then the Christians attempted to take the lands back. A lot of people died on both sides.

The Muslims took the Christian countries of Syria, Iraq, Egypt and North Africa. Also the first official Crusade was when the Muslims invaded Christian Constantinople.

Not to mention that happened 1,000 years ago.

Please give me a list of Catholics that are currently destroying your democracy.

The context of the text is relevant.

Again, why are you singling out Catholics? Are you not well versed on Christianity?

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

This isn't at all surprising. India is a very patriotic country and they do not particularly like Pakistan or Muslims.

Of course, if you go into Pakistan and see how Hindi's are treated, you would be horrified as well.

Since the division of Pakistan and India into two separate countries by the English, based broadly on religious grounds, there has been a growing hardening of views in India. The "us versus them" narrative also allows the incredibly resource and income inequality in India cover when the common enemy is your neighbor who is a different religion.

At the end of the day, every major religious movement has done or is doing horrendous things.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You seem to be taking this as an attack on Catholics / Christians, it isn't.

Based on your feedback, I am assuming that you agree with Aroundtheworld that Islam is a huge problem?

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

No, I most found it odd that you singled out the Catholics as they certainly were front and center in violence and carnage many hundreds of years ago but not so much now. I haven't really heard of violence perpetrated by Catholics specifically since the IRA. In that case the Catholic church condemned the actions of the IRA, but they were Catholic. Maybe the Philippines? The country is a majority Catholic, but even then that is questionable because the dictator of the Philippines has said he dislikes the Catholic Church and said he wishes he could have raped a dead Catholic missionary first and has had a lot of fights with the Catholic Church.

So I was curious what I was missing regarding the Catholic Church currently being a large global threat. Historically, that is certainly true many hundreds or a thousand years ago but I don't see it being the case now; especially compared to other denominations and faiths.

As far as attacking Christianity, I don't really have a problem with you or anyone doing so if it is accurate. The reality is that a lot of people have died in battles over Christianity and really all of the Abrahamic faiths. There are also domestic terrorists in the USA (although less that the media portrays) that have a desire to spread white nationalism and Christianity is one of the concepts they rely on.

As far as whether Islam is a huge problem? Yes, in 2022 it is one of the largest problems because it is extremely repressive and doesn't recognize individual rights, often teaches believers to literally not question, it is oppressive to women and the LGBTQ community and preaches a since of justice that wasn't really even progressive 1,000 a years ago. When you have this as a CULTURE in a large part of the world, it is a big problem. Does that mean those born in countries that are Islamic dominated are "lesser", absolutely not. I will just say, having a wife that is from a nation that was a majority Islamic and friends as well, it is a very pervasive and terrible problem in a large part of the world.

fchowd0311 and Rileydog like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I spoke on Catholics / Christians because that is what I know, because that is what I am / was.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to write another book
    And hire better security like a real celebrity

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It takes time for these extremist and intolerant views to develop into something bigger. Modi is potentially leading his nation down a road to genocide. If you are not seeing the troubling signs then you are blind to your tribalism.

https://time.com/6103284/india-hindu-supremacy-extremism-genocide-bjp-modi/

Salman Rushdie was attacked because of extremist views from Saudi. They wanted to change how the Koran was interpreted and changed the interpretation to be extreme because they saw it as a way to control the masses. They did not realize what they did beyond their borders....Modi is going down a similar path but more adjacent to Nazism.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are there any news on his health status? I sincerely hope he will recover fully.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are aware that this particular "Fatwa" was decreed by Shiites from Iran, not Sunnis from Saudi, right?

tinman likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are aware that the Iranian fatwa was lifted right?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The Saudi extremist rhetoric started in the early 1970s and it was spread in schools, books, and scholars across multiple countries. This type of intolerant views and stone age mentality is a big reason for the sunni-shia divide. The extremist Shah did not help matters.

Anyway India is trying to unite it's people through Hindu elitism. It is just as sickening as the Saudi Wahabism. This type of rhetoric should not exist in a growing world power like India. China is even worse, but India is getting to the same place....2 billion people all hypnotized by tribalism. Scary stuff.

Nook likes this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My understanding of the new "anti-Muslim" citizenship laws doesn't put them anywhere close to a road to genocide. So far, the only actions taken I'm aware of is creating a record of who has citizenship documents and who doesn't in some states, and then relaxing immigration laws for non-Muslims in neighboring countries who are potentially under threat of religious persecution. People are speculating an ulterior motive of mass ejection of undocumented Muslims from the country. I'll believe it when I see it or when politicians openly declare that to be the aim. Fill me in on more details I may be missing. This isn't something I'm following that closely.

Religious violence against minorities should always be a concern. If there are statistics indicating increased incidence of this in India, that would be good to cite. The Hindutva movement strikes me as conspiratorial and xenophobic, and it does seem like a cult. Not a fan of it. Plenty of people in India don't care for it either. Just like you got right-wing wackos over here, you have them there too. Right-wing populism seems to be on the rise in many places.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. durvasa

I mentioned this earlier:

Nupur Sharma: India's BJP suspends official over comments about Prophet Mohammed - CNN

Does anyone know what this BJP spokeswoman actually said about the Prophet Mohammed that caused the BJP to suspend and distance themselves from it? It's strangely difficult to find a quote anywhere -- almost seems like media outlets are afraid that simply repeating it will put them under fire.

Ah, here is something about it:

What did the BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma say about the prophet Muhammad? - Quora

She referred to Muhammed having sexual relations with a child, which apparently comes from Islamic sources? For this, the party suspended her and issue an apology condemning her insult to Muslims. I don't know the context in which she made the remarks. Clearly inflammatory, even if technically accurate.

#156 durvasa, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait so does this dude get a reward by the Iah Toldya?
    @AroundTheWorld

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's technically accurate. If this was in the framing of a western nations, I would have huge problems with elected leaders insulting the theology of a religion practiced by many of their constituents. I would have a huge problem if someone like AOC starts a really insulting Jesus. The most liberals frame criticism of religious conservatives in the US is actually appealing to Jesus and Biblical teachings.

I just don't find it within the job purview of a politician to become a theologian and start criticizing religion.

But yes they are technically correct. Multiple trusted Hadith confirm Muhammad married a 9 year old. Though ask many modern Muslims about this and they will just say it's not true. I'd rather them believe it's not true because they know it's disgusting than believe it to be true and follow it which unfortunately does happen with some very fundamentalist communities outside the West.

19. durvasa

More background:

2022 Muhammad remarks controversy - Wikipedia

On 27 May 2022, Sharma participated in a debate on the Gyanvapi Mosque dispute on the Times Now television channel. According to Sharma,[16] in response to remarks (perceived to be derogatory to Hindu god Shiva) by her opposition speaker and by many Muslim personalities on social media, she replied regarding Muhammad and the age of one of his wives, Aisha, noting that Aisha was 6-years-old when married, and 9 when the marriage was consummated.

A day later, the video clip of her comments were shared by Mohammed Zubair, the co-founder of Alt News, a fact-checking website, on social media.[17] Sharma later alleged that it was a "heavily edited and selected video", which was denied by Pratik Sinha, the other co-founder of Alt News. Sinha stated that it was unedited and also included a longer clip which showed the context.[18][19] Times Now deleted the video of the programme from its YouTube channel the next day.[20] Nonetheless, Sharma defended her comments and accused Zubair of "heavily [editing]" the clip; she further claimed to have been receiving rape and death threats as a result, prompting Delhi police to provide security cover. Alt News denied any responsibility for the reaction from the viewers after watching the video clip.[18][19][21] BBC News refused to publish the remarks, citing their "offensive" nature.[14]

Journalists note that Sharma has made similar comments on several TV shows.[22]

In this case, there was a debate over a mosque believed to have been erected centuries ago after demolishing a Shiva temple. Apparently she was piqued by comments that she says were mocking the Shiva Lingam -- Hindu surveyors are claiming the presence of this Shiva Lingam, a sacred symbol, on the grounds around the disputed mosque, while Muslim commenters are saying its merely a fountain. In response she pointed out things within the Islamic faith that she thinks could also be mocked -- among them the holy Prophet's marriage (including consummation of that marriage) to a child. This ignited a firestorm against her personally, many death/rape threats as she puts it, including many countries threatening boycotts against India for her transgression.

Her comments do seem irresponsible for a high-level party spokeswoman, given her high profile status and religious sensitivity over this stuff. On the other hand, just pointing out things that are true about a person's beliefs and stating one's opinion that they are worthy of ridicule should not illicit any sort of violent threats.

#159 durvasa, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ah I see. So this is a case of both sides just poo flinging.

But I'll admit that in reality, there are more Muslim fundamentalist who are willing to murder because their prophet was insulted than a Hindu extremists that would murder because a dirty of theirs was insulted.

AroundTheWorld likes this.