1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Salman Rushdie attacked / stabbed on stage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As someone who has an overall negative perception of religion I do understand that it does provide some positive benefits to society.

Most humans need a sense of belonging or else they become mentally ill. Religion provides that. Religion can also provide a tight community that looks out for one another. I definitely see why people are religious especially the elderly who are battling existential crisis in their heads in regards to mortality and consciousness and desire something more beyond the short amount of time they have left on this plane of existence.

Nook likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issue isn't religion itself - it's just a belief structure like any other at the end of the day.

The problem is the politicization of religion - turning it to a tribe of us versus them. That's where the trouble starts.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Extremism - big issue.

Islam isn't the issue, just the mechanism.

Catholicism is the same, just not quite into its next phase. Seems to be well on its way in the US.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The issue is having a culture pump up how Great you were 4-500 years ago, only to wake up in a dead end life. To top it off, "Progressive Cultures" poke their nose at your backward male supremacist values and constantly undermine your belief in your God.

If it sounds familiar (divide the years by ten), then it's probably not a religious thing...though Fundamentalists using religious are generally a catalyst for violence since doing horrific things might not make you rich or improve your lot, but can be seen as a lotto ticket into a great afterlife.

Nook likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

basso likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Islam is a much bigger problem than Catholicism during our lifetime.

Nook likes this.
  8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I was raised in a Pentecostal Church, no not that snake handlers LOL, and our preacher was very inclusive to outsiders and was just an awesome guy but one phrase I would always here was "the Bible says Adam and Eve......not Adam and Steve", that always made a few of us younger kids chuckle. He moved away and I had some great times there but the older I got the inclusiveness was to get me in the door and then try and change there minds.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

10. larsv8

Not for me.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bummer.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Objectively, it is. Many more people murdered in its name, oppression of hundreds of millions of people, women, gays, apostates, sponsoring of terrorism, etc., etc., etc.

Nook likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some people (maybe most people, when not arguing on the internet) care more about problems that they or their fellow countrymen face. The threat of Muslim extremism versus Christian extremism is probably more pronounced where you're from than in the US, so I understand why your priorities could be different.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The attack on Rushdie happened on U.S. soil.

Let's not forget 9/11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#Islamist_extremism

Yes, there are other forms of extremism, for sure, and they are equally bad. I also agree with you that it is less of a problem (relative to other forms of extremism) in the US compared to other parts of the world.

I understand your point. But I don't think it is a good counter-argument to Islam being a problem. There are way fewer Muslims in the US, percentage-wise, and they have been much more hand-picked compared to what you see in Europe.

I also just look at things from a global perspective.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

In the 2000s I would say it’s not even a question, and was terrifying. In the US (knock on wood) we haven’t dealt with the same things as the rest of the world. Not to minimize Rushdie but if a stabbing is the extent of it over the last 10 years, I would say Christian extremism is impacting the health of individuals more. You can’t even get treatment for life threatening ailments because of it and physicians afraid to violate some weird gyn law. Dylann roof for example shot up an entire church of black worshippers. Lone wolf violence unfortunately is something we have seen too much

I pray none of these groups are able to get their hands on deadly weapons but I am cautiously optimistic. The Muslims raising kids today are the ones that grew up on 9/11 America. They are far more understanding than other religious groups given what they’ve known. Muslims in Europe seem more different

16. larsv8

Hmmm no, that is a lazy view.

Catholics / Christains have certainly murdered in "Gods" name. 5 million people died in the Crusades, Islam would need to kill roughly 80 million people today to equate to populations at the time. There was also the inquisition, Salem Witch Trials. The African Slave Trade was primarily Christian backed.

Christian nationalists are currently trying to destroy our democracy, have also oppressed millions of people (maybe not hundreds of millions), which unlike everything else being discussed, is the only thing directly affecting me.

Again, neither Christianity nor Islam are the issue, it's extremism, IE people who use religion as a mechanism to oppress others.

Any rando Catholic or Muslim on the street is harmless, its the radicalization that is dangerous.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I said during our lifetime. Bringing up the crusades today is BS. Don't be a stupid person.

(Also, the crusades weren't a totally one-sided affair either. They were at least partly a reaction to Islamic extremism, even back then.)

tinman likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

this is the same thing as DAVE CHAPPELLE'S ATTACK, except Chappelle beat his attackers ass and then got rappers like Busta Rhymes to beat his ass backstage

An attack on freedom is speech is what woke losers want

19. larsv8

If we are limiting the scope now, which you seemed to want to ignore when you responded to my personal experiences, I am happy to do so.

I have never been oppressed or murdered by Muslims.

People I know, including family, have been by Catholics / Christians.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fair enough, your personal experience is what it is. Overall, Islamic extremism is a much bigger problem than any other religion's. Matter of fact, what is considered mainstream in Islam would be considered extremist in other religions.

Nook likes this.