1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Monday

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

All head coaching vacancies have been filled.

Browns hired Bengals OC Hue Jackson
    Bucs promoted OC Dirk Koetter to HC.
    Dolphins hired Bears OC Adam Gase.
    Eagles hired Chiefs OC Doug Pederson.
    49ers hired former Eagles HC Chip Kelly
    Giants promoted OC Ben McAdoo to HC.
    Titans kept interim coach Mike Mularkey.

Chargers(Mike McCoy; received one-year extension through 2017), Colts(Chuck Pagano; received a four-year contract), Cowboys(Jason Garett), Jaguars(Gus Bradley), Lions(Jim Caldwell), Rams(Jeff Fisher), Saints(Sean Payton) all kept their coach.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Can't believe the Titans kept Mularkey. Horrible decision.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good stuff. :cool:

4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I wonder what the Titans saw in Mularkey. That's like the Texans keeping Wade Phillips after 2-14. That team did not look like it wanted to play football.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Why does Jeff Fisher still have a job?

He hasn't had winning season in 7 years and had his 4th straight losing season with the Rams. 99% of coaches in the NFL would be sacked for such performance. What has Fisher achieved to deserve such slack? I mean if 2x Super Bowl winner Coughlin can be canned for stagnation than Fisher should have been axed long ago.

Especially now with the move to LA would be a good time for the Rams to get rid of a perennial loser and start with a fresh face and a winning culture.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What are the Titans doing? Morons

7. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Lol at the Titans. They hire someone with a 18-39 career coaching record right after hiring Wisenhunt. The NFL loves retreads. Once you become a head coach once, you can almost always get another job.

8. juicystream

Because he is 169-156. The team could do worse, as the Titans certainly have.

9. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

So in 20.5 years of coaching, he averages slighly more than 8 wins a season with only 6 playoff appearances in 20.5 years. He hasn't been to the playoffs since 2008, and hasn't won since 2003. He's nothing more than slightly above average. Could they do worse. Of course. Could they do better. Of course. He is middle of the road. If you want to finish between 7-9 wins every year. He is your guy.

If I owned a NFL francise and my coach can't get to the playoffs after 4 years, I would want better.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, the ultimate 8-8 coach.

Jeff can always spin to his boss that next year is the year!

We went 8-8 this year but next year we'll get over the hump! :grin:

11. juicystream

Then you should find a GM that can get your team a decent QB (and receivers).

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The reported reason why Fisher got to keep his job is his experience in being a part of a franchise move. I'm not sure why that's relevant or even important. If I were the Rams, I'd would've moved on, too. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his seat is on fire for 2016 and anything less than a playoff appearance gets him canned.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well now that Fisher will be in LA, I'd expect his seat to be extra toasty this season. Failing in the relative anonymity of St. Louis is one thing......failing in Hollywood is another.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Titans?src=hash">#Titans</a> CEO Steve Underwood explains what was evident: During the process, Amy Adams Strunk knew she was hiring Mularkey before interviews.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/689164051692285952">January 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>