1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest bust potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Apr 26, 2022.

?

Five years from draft night, who is most likely to be considered a 'bust'?

1. Paolo Banchero

22 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Chet Holmgren

90 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Jaden Ivey

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Keegan Murray

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Shaedon Sharpe

57 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Jabari Smith

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I personally want Jabari because he can easily play off both Green and Sengun. The latter is especially important if we move forward with him as our starting C and he never develops a steady jumper.

groovemachine likes this.
  2. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

He’s not athletic at all and yea his frame

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Who’s not athletic?

4. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Chet.. Don’t get me wrong I like his length and his defense but he’s slow and he’s not athletic. I feel like Chet would fit well with a team like the Spurs..The only fit he have with the Rockets is his defense, unless he shoots lights out from the arc that a different story

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think you can find someone that agrees with you. Athleticism is a strength of Chet, it’s what makes him special.
    He’s faster, quicker feet, quicker off the ground than Paolo by far.
    Literally every scouting report says “good athlete, extremely mobile and fluid”

Edit* And he’s a 39% shooter from 3

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i think Jabari Smith bust rate should be higher than it is. A top 3 pick whose only attribute is shooting is spooky to me.

7. alethios

alethios Member

One of the concerns I have about him too is the block rate he gets at the rim, something like 30%. He'll need to work on his play around the rim if he wants to take his game to the next level, not just settle for the outside shot. We don't need another Channing Frye.

8. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm not high on Chet. All of the highlight videos I've watched just show him dunking while not being boxed out. I'm also one of the biased against skinny players over 6'11''. Yao had twice as much sand in his shorts. That said, you make a good point and I'm coming around.

And if getting Chet means we can move on from our too skinny, chip on his shoulder wearing, and entitled acting center CWood, then I'm all for it. Team Chet

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Speed might be relative term. Apparently he is fast enough for Curry.

Fast enough to cross Curry on the first step.
    [​IMG]

Fast enough to time a denial.
    [​IMG]

Sizzle used Curry's own dribble package on him at Curry's own camp.

Reeko and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

What logic is this...

I ONLY listed "Non-Conference" games.
    You absolutely look at the season as a whole.
    SOS isnt determined on preseason hype and the 1st two weeks of a season.

With that logic we would say the Lakers are contenders.

Non conference games not included tourney

Gonzaga played 5 games.
    Duke played 3 games.

Conference games
    Duke played 2 more quad 1
    Duke played 6 more quad 2
    Duke played 7 more quad 3
    Gonzaga played 5 more quad 4

The Power 5 and Big East have the strongest schedules which is why the tourney is dominated by schools from these programs. Duke literally only lost to ACC schools and 1 Big 10 loss.

Look what happened to WCC top programs in Non-Conference before tourney.

St. Mary's was 2-3
    Gonzaga was 3-2

The Quadrants continuously change up until the final tourney games. Teams/previously played games change Quadrant status weekly. Including the tourney games helped Gonzaga's SOS.

Don't include tourney games and the gap in SOS between power 5 & big east vs mid majors and its not close.

Basically you are saying the 2 extra non conference games Gonzaga scheduled (Texas in Spokane & Duke in Vegas) means Gonzaga played a much harder schedule... Lmao no and it's not even close. Let's not even mention Duke ending up playing most of the teams Gonzaga scheduled and beat them all.

#170 Ekiu, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is a plus defender. Too many fans only look at one side of the ball. If all that was important is offense, the Rockets would have a good of a shot as a championship as the next guy. Anybody that thinks Jabari is a shoot only player has not watched him play or done any research on his work ethic.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

No you don’t look at the whole season as a whole that includes the tourney. Like I said the tourney isn’t even known and your schedule prior to that absolutely matters and impacts who you play going in. Just bc you try to spin the nonsense to fit your agenda doesn’t make it true. Dukes schedule was weak af compared to the zags

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think there's truth to both sides. Athletically/positionally he's going to be a plus on defense, and his versatility should be very valuable once he's settled in and his body fills out.

And calling him a "shoot-only" player is unfair, and comparing him to a guy like Channing Frye who couldn't move is inaccurate. But he is incredibly jumpshot-dependent, and while he's mobile enough to create shooting opportunities off the bounce (and his high release allows him to get them off and hit contested shots), he does not get to the rim or finish much at all, especially for a 6'10" guy with athleticism. I believe he had the lowest % of FGA at the rim of any top prospect in recent history

If/how his handle develops is going to be central in his future. He could be a 2-way star if he puts a ton of work in, but I have my doubts about his shot-creating/selection. But it might not as big of an issue if you have finishers inside and penetrators from the G/Wing spots.

14. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Lol I even broke it down from you eliminating the tourney makes Gonzaga's schedule FAR weaker. Do you understand alot of these games are scheduled years out rosters aren't even set.

With all your knowledge please explain to me why Quadrants are designed to be fluid? Do you understand the Quadrants?

What about early season tournaments like the Maui or Champion classic... Are those not to be looked at because "you don't know who you will play". Come '23 will you not consider the new scheduling initiative because "you don't know who you will play"
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-bring-big-nonconference-games-into-february/

That's literally to help the conferences like WCC with there weak schedules.

Remove the tourney and Gonzaga has only 5 games against top competition before they go into conference play. Btw WCC was just bad out of conference.

They had practically no quad 2/3 games and a bunch of games against trash quad 4 opponents in High School gyms.

It's just simple math. Who play more teams in higher quadrants BEFORE the tourney???

Duke played in 15 MORE games against higher level opponents than Gonzaga.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You just did….I 100% agree that he is not the athlete that any of the other top five are. He will get taken to town by NBA competition and will resort to fouling out frequently. Nobody looks at this guy and thinks elite athlete….they think toothpick with a decent shot. We need more!!!

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

when your quad 1 schedule consists of primarily a horrible ACC division this year and only playing the zags and kentucky, welp news flash casual their schedule was incredibly weak af.

17. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Gonzaga's Quad 1 schedule consists primarily on the WCC division. Which was ranked 11th(down from 8th last year).

The ACC was ranked 5th behind Big 12, Big 10, Big East & SEC.

Again Duke played 3 OOC games
    Gonzaga played 5 OOC games

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You agreeing isn’t what you think it is.
    It proves the point.
    Chet is a far better athlete than Paolo.
    And very similar to Jabari athletically

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Like I said the acc was terrible this year. Duke played nobody outside of Kentucky

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think even if he doesn’t develop a great handle and the ability to beat people off the dribble, his ability to shoot from 3 and contested 2’s from the mid-range and play excellent defense will fit perfectly with a team that has 3 guys like KPJ, Green, and Jaygup who create off the dribble and a guy like Sengun that has eyes in the back of his head his spot up jumper makes him a perfect fit. Without the one on one ability he might never be a superstar, but not everyone on our team has to be that. He or Chet is alright with me, then Ivey, then Banchero.