1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup Guard: The MVP's Bro (Do it Morey)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jul 19, 2015.

?

Should Morey offer him to a contract?

1. Yes, he can be our backup point guard.

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. Meh. It's just Summer League.

30 vote(s)
    61.2%
  1. nobie

nobie Member

exactly.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I just looked him up more. The Cavs are offering 2 mill per, he wants 4 mill per and talks fell apart. Perhaps we can come in and give a 3 mill per poison pill contract to keep them from matching.

I know he would be settling, but anybody we sign for PG position will be settling at this point, so why not get a white Bev replica in Dova for our backup spot? I'll take that over Terry, Prigs or Johnson.

Unless we plan on making a trade for a decent PG soon, where going to need somebody to play backup point. Hopefully not Terry, Prigs or Johnson.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

One thing we've seen from Morey is that he is very clever with his signings and always thinks a few steps ahead. For example, is anyone "untradeable" on our roster currently? Has anyone been "untradeable" since TMac was shipped to the Knicks?

In other words, he is extremely reluctant to give up flexibility for a non-big 3 talent. This was the driving force for why Parsons was not matched and the kind of contract that was given to Papa. If you aren't providing elite talent, you are simply not worth locking up the cap for and your contract will be trade-friendly regardless of your perceived importance.

How this applies to another poison pill has to do with Morey's willingness to not only use so much of the MLE on a subpar talent, but to also do it in a manner that will hurt our flexibility. It is simply against Morey's MO.

I'm not totally against the idea of 48min of Bev's tenacity, but it is simply not the most significant deficiency of this team. Marcus Thornton is a step in the right direction, but we need another creator...badly.

#23 shastarocket, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we can get rid of Lin and his 15 million, i'm sure we could get rid of Dova and his 8 or 9 million. Poison pill is just and idea. Could also be a strsight 2 year 7 or 8 mill deal, easy contract to trade especially with the salary rise. The reason the Cavs are reluctant to give Dova more then 2 mill a year isn't because he's not worth it but more so that they have an all star PG in Irving and a good backup in Williams, Dova would just be their third PG.

For us, he would get real minutes and earn his money as a legit backup point playing 15 - 20 mpg. 3-4 mill per is fair for a decent backup point, can't see him being hard to trade.

5. Mr Chuck Norris

No man, delly sucks!

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lin is a bad example because of how much he cost to unload. That kind of a risk simply will not be repeated for a non-elite talent while we are serious contenders.

Also, Mo Willimas was signed well after the negotiations with Delly began. He is worth a certain amount to the Cavs and they seem pretty content with letting him walk if he doesn't meet that number.

As for your assertion about him being tradeable at 3-4m, I can't disagree with that. However, we have to judge how Morey values KJ Mcdaniels vs Delly in terms of ability to contribute on a contender, tradeability, ceiling, elite talent, etc.

I think Morey would be more willing if he had some cap room to work with instead of being so close to the hard cap.

7. basketballholic

Delly, LOL.

Seth Curry is s better 3-point shooter than all but a small handful of players in the NBA, including his brother. He's the kind of shooter that can take 10+ 3 pointers in a game and knock down 5-8 of them without necessarily being wide open. Delly cant do that.

#27 basketballholic, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can you explain why? I seriously don't follow him, but I see he's a pretty damn good 3pt shooter (41% this season, 38% last season, 39% on 320+ shots over the last 2 seasons) and he's rumored to be a good defender, similar to Beverley with his peskiness and hustle. At his age, with his size, his big games in the playoffs, him being a solid 3 and D player, why would he not be worth 3 to 4 mill per year to us?

I know he'd be settling, I know he doesn't fix the play making problem (although he averaged 3 assist in only 20 minutes), but unless where trading for a big upgrade at the PG position before the season starts, where going to need to sign some sort of backup point unless we want to hand those keys to Prigs/Terry or Johnson again.

9. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

I definitely wouldn't have minded a gamble on Seth. Those comparing him to Daniels don't understand that he has some ball skills and an in between game (mid-range and floater). He can run some spread PnR but lacks the explosion and quickness to do it a bunch, so he would be better suited playing off of Harden, getting catch-and-shoot and catch-and-go opportunities.

He should flourish playing for Gentry

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Seth hasn't played more then 3 games in the nba, until he proves him self, Fredette would be a far superior option for a contender.

Seth the kind of players knock down 5 to to 8 three point shots... in a D league game. I'm thinking he's going to be Troy Daniels 2.0

Dellavedova has played in nearly 160 games, in the finals. He may not be a better pure 3 point shooter then Seth, but i'd take Delly every day of the week over him for the fact that Seth hasn't even played 5 games in the nba yet, he's a d league scrub.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He played 4 games, forgot to edit the start of my post woops*

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get it. Does Harden even have a brother who is good at basketball?

13. Mr Chuck Norris

All of those shooting numbers are inflated playing with LeBron, His defense is just pure effort, not really a lockdown defender at all. Thats also why i hate people advocating for Mario Chalmers here too. Delly's shooting will fall off a cliff here. And with zero playmaking skills, zero driving skills, it doesn't make any sense to spend money on him, especially if he have Nick Johnson still on the roster, who was drafted to do the same thing.

14. PointZero

PointZero Member

Morey could have drafted a point guard (instead, he drafted a 3rd string small forward, Dekker, who'll play behind Ariza and Brewer).

Morey has left this team without a PG (except Bev).

Overpaying for Dellavedova is one of the only options left.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I accept the criticism you stated below this point ^, but I have a comment on that.

Thing is I don't think that would be a problem at all, all of the Rockets shooting #'s are very inflated as well with our pace, 3 point volume shooting and plus we have Harden who is very similar to Lebron when it comes to creating for his teammates.

Delly's shooting would not fall off a cliff here, he would probably have a lot more attempts and a slightly lower % due to all the extra attempts, same with Chalmers.

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

You're clearly making judgements based off boxscores or just haven't watched enough of this kid. If he can do anything at the next level well it WOULD be his ability to shoot 3's. He would be a HUGE upgrade over Terry. And he's actually pretty crafty, not to big bro's level but he's creative enough to score in many different ways.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't want Dellavedova or Seth Curry, but one comment I have about Delly, and it's that with the injury to Irving, Delly's minutes went up. I don't have the game by game stats in front of me, but Irving missed 7 of those playoff games last season and that put Delly on the spot. We're familiar with how suddenly playing more minutes than was expected can impact a player's performance. I think that as Cleveland's playoff games continued without Irving, Delly's playoff performances trended down, particularly in the last series.

We could do worse than Dellavedova. Again, however, I really don't want either guy. Curry has that "untapped potential" which doesn't always translate to NBA success. In fact, it simply doesn't, more often than not. At least Dellavedova has actual NBA regular season and playoff experience, and played with two highly intelligent stars, one considered the best player in the game. He must have learned something.

18. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

LaBran James?