1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attack on Libya imminent?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Mar 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its pretty sad that GOP already has its talking point about what's wrong. even democrats would unify with bush in times like this.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The bottom line is that the process hasn't even really started. Whether Djibril was in any way involved in drafting this document and whether it is even in any way authentic is very much to be doubted as of this point, when Gaddafi has not even been completely ousted. You are completely making it up that Dijbril was involved with this, to bolster your premature posts that pretend that the only alternative is Gaddafi or Sharia.

Maybe you missed this part in the blog post that was referenced:

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK, great. So if it isn't authentic, and it isn't set, then why are people whining and complaining about it?

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I haven't seen any whining and complaining.

Someone posted about a presumed draft constitution in a blog post and two posters linked to that here. I believe that it would certainly be a development to watch if Sharia law were to be above the constitution. Nothing wrong with linking to it if there is speculation that there are forces which are trying to instill that.

You could have questioned the authenticity or you could have made an argument that you think it is not a problem.

But you made it seem like it is already a foregone conclusion that there is no other alternative, and that is simply incorrect.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As far as I know, Republicans have almost universally voiced support for Obama in this, especially now that it's worked out. There are a few fringe players that have said that successful regime change doesn't excuse an illegal war, but those are few. I don't speak for the GOP.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well the fact that people are acting like something bad has happened with the probable fall of Qaddafi seems like whining and complaining to me. So Tallanvor who posted it and then claimed Islam should never exist and is the biggest threat he faces is certainly whining and complaining.

I hope that isn't part of the rule of law in Libya's future, but to me it's better than Qaddafi.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really? did they unify w/ W when the 1st marine div marched into Baghdad?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

never mind

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

really, just leave it alone, he's crazy

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It's quite obvious that he's in full on troll mode. To his credit though, he's damn good at it.

11. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Allegations that Saif was never captured, with a video interview of him surfacing. :eek:

Comfirmed by a CNN source as well

mchancecnn Matthew Chance
    Here's the picture I took sitting next to #Saif #Gadhafi! Certainly not detained! Exclusive!! #cnn #libya #tripoli pic.twitter.com/1h0Fcgo

http://twitter.com/#!/mchancecnn

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just skimming this thread I find several mentions of prominent Republicans criticizing Obama over Libya. Unless you consider Gingrich, Rand Paul, Ron Paul, John Boehner and Michelle Bachmann to be fringe players.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Why not just look at NATO's "plans" for an idea?

Leaked 70-page post-Gaddafi NATO plan for Libya acquired by The Times.

A foreign policy success? Inasmuch as we have maintained colonial control at the expense of popular sentiment, probably.

More at the link.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

^^^

you can't just make up a new gov't out of thin air. the biggest problem is khaddafi was a dictator with total control, he is absence will leave no functioning gov't in place. of course some of his force will have to be left.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Not surprising to me at all. It's probably the best for stability, and it will make Libya more friendly to France, which was the point of NATO's involvement. It's not so good for Libyan self-determination, though.

16. rhadamanthus

Oh it's definitely not surprising. This was the obvious desire of NATO all along; flowery rhetoric is, well, just that.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you think it would be better if there was no plan?

18. rhadamanthus

Hard to say, honestly. I guess it depends on the objective and the perspective, if you will.

A new colony-esque political architecture or potential civil war...
    A new autocratic regime or possible democracy/self-determination...

I'm not making a statement per say by posting the above information, I just find it annoying when folks (particularly politicians and the media beholden to them) regurgitate rank propaganda or defend the status-quo simply because they are unfamiliar with anything else.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member