1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros schedule 2 p.m. news conference to announce decision on Dierker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

nevermind

#21 Ty_Webb, Oct 18, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2001
  2. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Leyland 1 WS rings, and mucho playoff expereince. Felipe Alou ZERO rings and no playoff expereince.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Though I can see Tom Kelly returning to baseball, he is after all only 51, I think he's more likely to take a few years off and relax, rather than jump right in.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

What did he do the next year?

What did he do as Pirate Mgr?

Anyone could have managed that Marlin team.

I don't watch baseball, but I stayed at a holiday inn.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The thought of Leyland with our young pitchers makes me shudder.

Felipe has never had the talent that this team has at one time.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you mean, what does it mean. It was fairly obvious that Bagwell and Biggio helped oust Collins. Comments over the past year or so from Bagwell and Biggio certainly weren't complimentary of Dierker. Bagwell and Biggio have a lot of power and say-so in the Astros organization.

The comment was a joking one indicating that they wouldn't be able to make a veteran manager adapt to what they want.

I understand that it's time for a change, but Dierker is simply a scapegoat for the team's inability to perform during the postseason. He has less to do with their failures than the key players (especially the hitters). Who can forget bases loaded and no outs in game 3 against the Braves in 1999 when all they needed was a run to win the game and Everett, Eusebio and Guttierez all failed (although Eusebio was robbed). The only hitter they have had step up in a series was Caminiti in 1999.

Even though Bagwell had a good OBP this postseason, he still did not have a HR and the team did not get a single hit with runners in scoring position. If the players need a manager to get them fired up or inspired for a postseason game, then those players are sorely lacking in character.

There were 7 constants from 1997-2001 - Dierker, Cruz, Bagwell, Biggio, Wagner, Reynolds and Eusebio. Cruz may be gone (none of the coaches are signed through next year), but aside from that, Reynolds is the only player from that list who may go. I would not be surprised to see Reynolds involved in a trade for a 3rd baseman or center fielder. He is their highest paid started and will be their #3 guy (at best) next year. He will make 6.5 million with an 8 million club option for 2003. Eusebio is a free agent but I suspect he'll be resigned.

7. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Do you people know who was on Alou's Expos teams? His team was LOADED. In 94, their best year, he had:

Cliff Floyd, Mosies Alou, Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, all in the prime of their career.

On the mound, PEDRO MARTINEZ, Ken Hill, Fassero, Reuter adn Wettland in the Pen.

That team is as talented to any of the Astros teams of the 90s or the Marlins of 97.

8. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

I would want Felipe Alou as the manager. He seemed to handle Moises well while in Montreal, and I think its the only way to keep Moises. As much as I like Ward I don't think we can get by with him as an everyday OF.

Matt Galante has been able to stay through many administrations, but I think his time may be up too. If Alou is brought on I'm sure everybody will be cleaned out.

This Astros team reminds me of the Jazz (90s). Able to win in the regular season but never in the playoffs.

Rob

9. BobFinn*

Did you know that team won their division? That means they finished first. That was the strike shortened year. 114 games were played and the expos won 74 of them.

Those players were <b>NOT</b> in their primes.
    Floyd 2nd year
    Walker was a free agent the next year and left
    Grissom was a free agent the next year and left
    Pedro rookie year
    Fassero 8-6 he had a big year
    Reuter 7-3

Oh yeah, and Felipe was named manager of the year.

#29 BobFinn*, Oct 18, 2001
  10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

yes, Felipe Alou was the manager of that massively talented '94 expos team.

he was the manager that had that team in first place, way out in front, when the season was pulled out from under him by the labor strife.

after that, the expos promptly dismantled that team, and he was managing a triple-A team with 3 fans.

ask anyone, ANYONE, around the league, and they will tell you that felipe alou is about as respected as they come.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Montreal was ahead in the NL East by a wide margin until the strike started in 1994. Alou knows how to manage young talent, nad that's exactly what we need.

Other than him, Tom "TK" Kelly is a no-brainer. He won a WS in 1987 with probably the worst team ever to win a WS in the last 50 years. Not to mention the job he did this year with a Twins team that everyone predicted to be in the cellar.

Buck Showalter was mentioned as was Davey Johnson. Both are washed up bums though.

12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

finn, you beat me to the punch.

13. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

The Expos were 6 games up with 50 games to go, they were a LONG way from being a lock to win that division.

The next season they ended up 12 games under .500

Felipe is good, but not great.

14. BobFinn*

Here is the lineup for that next year ('95)

C *Darrin Fletcher
    1B #David Segui
    2B Mike Lansing
    3B Sean Berry
    SS Wil Cordero
    OF Rondell White
    OF *Tony Tarasco
    OF Moises Alou

A little different don't you think?

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Make Biggio the player/manager since he likes to take over the clubhouse...;)

16. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

It isnt a 16 games under .500 team, plus they still had very good starting pitching.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ty Webb

Arguing that Felipe Alou is nto a good, much less great, manager is futile. The guy knows how to manage and that's that. You may be the only one who desnt think that the 95 Expos team on paper wasnt a good one. It didnt shock me that they finished 16 games under. Beyond talent, Alou has had to deal with a very bad organization. While the Astros can't win in the playoffs, I consider their organization to be very classy. Even further, Alou would fit in nicely with our mix of veterans and youngsters, hopefully allowing us to possibly keep Moises, and with the large Latin American population (and proximity) in Houston.

Felipe Alou is the obvious and RIGHT choice

I won't be extremely dissapointed if he isn't hired, but there are definitely people out there who I would not want to see.

18. BobFinn*

Very good?
    <b><u>STARTERS</u></b>
    ERA-W-L
    SP Pedro Martinez - 3.51 - 14 - 10
    SP *Jeff Fassero - 4.33 - 13 - 14
    SP *Carlos Perez - 3.69- 10 - 8
    SP *Butch Henry - 2.84 - 7 - 9

<b><u>BULLPEN</u></b>
    CL Mel Rojas - 4.12 -1 - 4
    RP Tim Scott - 3.98 - 2 - 0
    RP Jeff Shaw - 4.62 - 1 - 6
    RP Greg A. Harris-2.61-1-2

19. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I was Bob, and I see some differences. First, Phillips NEVER lost the respect of his players. Dierker has. Also, despite having the best running back in all of football, he had little else to work with. Dierker did. Bum had the worst owner in football, while Dierker had a middle of the road (money wise) owner.

One more thing Bob, just to clarify. The Oilers only lost to the Steelers twice in the AFC championship game. The third year was a wild card loss to the Raiders, after Stabler was traded to the Oilers. Rumor has it (unfounded, of course) that Stabler partied all night with his Raider buddies before that game.

20. BobFinn*

#40 BobFinn*, Oct 18, 2001