1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Red Hot Chili Peppers one of the greatest bands of all time?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 25, 2009.

?

RHCP- All time greats?

1. Yes

96 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No

152 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. Jesus ****ing Christ. Are you serious? Is this **** serious? God, no. No. No, and kill yourself.

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm ok with bands changing styles. I'm still a huge Wilco fan even though what made me a fan is not what they do any more. In my opinion, One Hot Minute was a crime against humanity.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

No, I have Uplift. I was talking about their selff-titled debut that does not have either Slovak or Jack Irons on it (they were in their other band at the time) and Freakey Styley.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I liked their early stuff.

4. cson

cson Contributing Member

I'm a fan, haven't listened to whole album from them since One Hot Minute (which I liked) however.

I think the reason they are not in the greatest catergory is that they did not change the game. Have broad influence or mass Mass appeal , other than a few singles. (In fact some lesser in the know prolly think them one hit wonders re: Under the bridge)

Also no one in that band is in the running for the best...anything. Flea & John are awesome, but few would say they are the best at their trade and "Greatest Bands of All Time" often have a member in least in consideration as best or top 3 or whatnuts.

5. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Are you serious? I probably should've stopped readin at the one-hit wonder part. I don't think anyone would consider them a one-hit wonder. At least no one over the age of fifteen.

As for their musicianship, man there's another point of contention. Any debate on best bassist of all time will have Flea in the conversation. On John, I play guitar and have a lot of guys who are awesome, but Frusciante is far and away my favorite. I'm not saying he's the best, but he is in the conversation for top ten or so IMO. That dude is highly underrated, check out his solo and live stuff.

As for mass appeal, they did have their impact. Unfortunately it left us with that limp bisket era of rap/rock hybrid junk.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Didn't see another RHCP thread, so I thought I'd put this here

First single released from their new album, not too impressive

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8QoB3sifzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Summer Song Giver

Starts off okay, you're like alright, here it comes, here it comes, it's coming... and then, "lipstick junkie" and right there you're like man **** this wack ****, it's same ****ing song they've been doing for the past 15 years.

8. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

If you think all Chili Peppers songs sound the same then you are no RHCP fan.

They are my favorite band and always will be. They never sold out and are still making new music today.

1 person likes this.
  9. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Agreed and rep'd.
    Dave Grohl is a rock God

10. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

I'd disagree.

But I like the more funky style of the Peppers.

Foo's are the number 2 spot of my favorite band list though. They each love each other dearly also so it's all fine with me.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm like rhino17 in that I hated most of the RHCP earlier stuff and came around on them later but I 100% agree on the Foo Fighters.

That last album was just wicked!:)

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Was just thinking about this thread the other day and how you yahoos didn't give RHCP their due.

13. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

No one seems to.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The RHCPs need at least one classic album and I doubt they have it in them... edit: the new single sucks hard.

15. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

Depends upon how many bands are in your "greatest" category.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hard to see anyone thinking they were one hit wonders. I remember seeing the video for Give it Away all the time when I was young, and they won a Grammy for Scar Tissue.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I haven't voted but I plan to after I type out this post to see if they belong.

I'm totally biased though. I love their music but they haven't transcended anything really.

But they do make hit after.

Is there a limit, like 3000 hits in baseball for music? Like let's say 30 songs that are just badass.

Plus it's hard to say a contemporary band is an all time great.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

hai i just stopped by to say, yes.

kthxbaiiii

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for bumping the thread. I'd forgotten to vote "no." A very fine band, but not near "all time" fine.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If AC/DC was part of the criteria of "greatest bands of all time" then absolutely yes Chilli Peppers is up there. But if you're talking Beatles/Zeppelin/Who then they aren't in the ball park.

They're loads better than Nirvana though.

I guess that's another thread but I'd love to understand what the deal with Nirvana is? They have one amazing album and a couple very average ones. And that's it. I have never understood the hype related to the music. I get the grunge image thing they helped introduce, but what did they do that revolutionized music to where they're now legendary?

Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/STP/Peppers just stomp all over the Nirvana catalog.

I'd rather have the Foo Fighters.

1 person likes this.