1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, I mean we are at boy who cried outrage at this point.

If the right wants to be taken seriously, stand for something, and have consistent principles.

They just don't....ever.

They are outraged at everything, everyday.

I actually think, for once, there is a reason to be upset by Afghanistan. Unfortunately, outrage fatigue makes this just another roll eyes at these diatribes.

ROCKSS, quikkag and dobro1229 like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The thing I just cannot get over is the fact that Trumpers here either do not understand that ISIS is not the Taliban or they really think people are dumb enough to believe that so they can confuse and spark ignorant outrage.

When I saw posters here go there my jaw just dropped at the notion that they’d even try to push that or that they are just that stupid.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Not sure who was trying to say that, the Taliban helped hide Bin Laden and al-qaeda.... Now this new Isis-K group emerges and we are suppose to believe what exactly? The Taliban have helped these terrorist before, well they all are...

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

We had 0 deaths for the last 1.5 years before this tragedy. Orange man would plan a little better than this wouldn't you think? Instead of doubling down, just own up to Biden's mistakes instead of distracting people with the name calling insults and thinking you are so much smarter than people who disagrees with you.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  5. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Both sides are guilty and you know it. If I was a betting man, I would think there will be alot more snowflakes on the left. If people cannot see this they are in their own echo chamber and cannot think critically on both sides.

6. HardenVolumeOne

dont forget the historic levels of crime and homelessness currently happening throughout this country as well, law enforcement officers are quitting due to the lack of support from their state legislators and mayors. Border agents are getting overrun having to almost work as baby sitters to these immigrant minors

its a complete mess

Salvy likes this.
  7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Is the implication then that there were deaths under Trump 2.5 years prior in his Presidency? Wouldn't that kind of go against your take that Trump would have handled it better if we're judging based on loss of life?

The last military action I paid attention to was when U.S. soldiers still stationed in Iraq were bombed by Iran after their general was assassinated. This thread.

A Tweet from back then to highlight how poorly operated Trump's administration was courtesy of No Worries.

If you go through that thread, a lot of the vocal conservative voices finding outrage at present were silent when Trump was failing at foreign policy too. It kinda makes me think a lot of posters upset at present aren't being genuine but that's just me.

There's genuinely good reasons to find fault with Biden's administration handling of this event but personally it doesn't resonate with me as a major issue the same way as say advocating for a single payer healthcare plan or overturning Citizens United would or the way local or statewide legislation that actually impacts my life more than foreign policy failure on the other side of the globe would. Were I to personally know a U.S. citizen or soldier that died as a result, I would of course hold a different opinion. Were I a refugee seeking asylum from the country and found myself stranded or knew someone personally that was, I would hold a different opinion. I'm sure I can think of other scenarios where I'd be more personally concerned over the handling of this event, but none qualify. As a result, I've been relatively silent in this thread. That said, I agree, Biden is handling this poorly. But to argue that Trump would have handled it better? I find that extremely doubtful.

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Today will be a better day. Please let today be a better day.

9. DonatelloLimestone

the taliban is more a local religious facet based in norhern pakistan but essentially harbored in afghanistan. they are also a political force and thirst for power.
    ISis has also been around a long. they don't have a centralized control or command, its a different network of terrorist spread out. they don't work in coordination and never hve, but both of them are dangerous to americans, isis more so as they don't just operate in afghnistan, they have cells all over.

They are also both dangerous for the locals. They killed about 6/7 times more afghanis yesterday than even our boys, they use a religious voice and just lust for power and debauchery. but they are not a normal country so we can't defeat isis by knocking out one guy or commander or one place. In fact aghanistan is like that entirely. Its totally tribal and the geogrphy hass no infrastructure, thats why we couldn't impose our idea of a country by propping up a central government and calling it democracy. they have different languges and cultures and thats why when we grouped them and put them together it'd be like tking someone from guatemlaa and costa rica and saying you guys are in this together.

Read the afghan papers that were leaked...the generals knew the training wasn't working, the nation building wasn't working, we just kept throwing money and sadly when you scream be patriotic and support our boys people give a blank check when that isn't supporting our militiary, its tsupporting the suits who safely make decisions from far away. let alone the level of contract delegating that happens here, but is especially ripe during conflict areas which are hard to check and balance. Whole thing is a racket, 20 years and the most brave of our citizens lost lives, families lost children, and literally we have nothing to show for it. its a damn shame....

if you want more info on the background of the two terrorist groups,

#1129 DonatelloLimestone, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    quikkag likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump supporters disingenuously tried to imply it was just "mean tweets". And it wasn't just that trump lied... but lied constantly about all things, small and large. As did most of those he put in positions of power in his administration. He also bent if not outright broke laws. As did the same people in his administration. We will probably never know the full extent of the laws he broke, as the presidency tends to protect. But the trump presidency will go down in history as one of the most corrupt of all time.

VooDooPope, Andre0087 and quikkag like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good one.

A good source told me the Babylon Bee was going to run with the "Taliban condemn the terrorist attack on civilians and US serviceman while Republicans attack Biden". But after they messed up the story about the Taliban selling US Army Surplus stores, they did their homework this time and decided not to run it.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump cut a deal with the Taliban, agreeing to release 5000 Taliban fighters and to leave by May 1. The Taliban agree to no longer target Americans. There have been 0 attacks, not just deaths, against Americans by the Taliban since then and that's still true after yesterday. Trump was already executing that deal, reducing US servicemen down to 2500 troops by the time Biden took office. Biden options were either to honor the deal and continue withdrawing or to break the deal, put troops back on the ground and the Taliban would again target Americans. He made the right choice.

As for terrorist attacks on Americans, there was no deal with ISIS. ISIS is an enemy of the Taliban (they want control of Afghanistan) and has carried out numerous terrorist attacks on NATO, the Taliban, and civilians.

Would Trump has done better? Yes, he could in one way for one specific outcome. If he repeats what he did with the Kurds, he would abandon Afghans who worked with the US, get out by May 1st as he said he would. Without a need to evac hundreds of thousands, there would be less opportunity for attacks on US servicemen.

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Orange Man would most definitely NOT plan better. Were you paying attention at all to the 4 years he was in office?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It has been implied all day long from everyone on the right and people in the media like Chuck Todd that because this ISIS bombing happened that Biden should be expected to retaliate to the Taliban.

Yes the Taliban aligned with Bin Laden back in the day and still to this day and refuse to acknowledge he had anything to do with 9/11. But it displays a high level of ignorance on the Middle East to think that the Taliban or even Al Qaeda are the same thing as ISIS. They are about to go to war with each other as soon as we leave. They’ve been at war with each other for years.

In the Middle East the enemy of my enemy is not always my friend. We learned the hard way back in the 90’s when the US essentially bankrolled and trained Bin Laden because of the civil wars in the Middle East.

So no the Biden admin is not going to be that naive about the Taliban but we have no interests in shooting at them for an ISIS bombing when we still need their cooperation to get out of harms way. The Taliban has interest in stopping ISIS attacks so they can show that they can govern and keep Afghans from fleeing. They’ll need to keep as many citizens there in Kabul as possible if they want any source of revenue from taxes not to mention international recognition in the future.

So you ask “what are we supposed to believe?”…. I don’t ask anyone to believe anything… I ask them to do 2 seconds of homework before having an opinion that America is now going to crap because there was a bombing in freaking Afghanistan. It’s not Hawaii people …. It’s Afghanistan. THIS is why we need to leave. Let them fight their own civil wars and stop thinking you can prop up a Bin Laden type who is the enemy of my enemy,

But at the same time let’s not just stay shooting at the guys we need cooperation from to get out of the damn country.

ElPigto likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't understand people like Dan Crenshaw who are calling to "Unleash our military power NOW", we are at the end of an evacuation, the largest the world has ever seen. You cannot do something like that UNTIL we have everyone out, as Biden said, we will do this in do time. I have a feeling we will light em up in the very near future, but to do it now is just dumb.......not that I would expect anything smarter coming from Dan

Biden was given a sh** sandwich, could the evacuation been done earlier, I don't know. I would have never believed the Afghan army would lay down and run and the government would abandon it`s people, that was 20 years, trillions of dollars, dead Americans and a big waste of time

There will be plenty of time to dissect this AFTER we accomplish our mission and it`s no surprise the trump cult does not want to acknowledge his transgressions but hey, I would never expect them to. Biden is not perfect and he will get some of the blame on this as it should be, but context people.....lets have some context.

I was naïve to think an event like this would make Americans rally around the flag as one and work together but I feel that ship has sailed for the foreseeable future

As Astrodome said earlier, please let today be a better day

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Today will be a better day. You will get up in the morning, kiss your wife… drink your coffee… get into your nice car, drive to your nice job and go home to have a nice dinner with your family…and fall asleep in your safe and warm bed holding your wife.

You didn’t wake up worrying every day the prior 20 years when the US was in Iraq or Afghanistan and civilians there were being bombed to death by US weapons, or rounded up by extremists and raped and murdered or died from a lack of drinking water.

You will be perfectly fine while watching the news on a television reporting on a place across the globe that has been chaos for hundreds of years.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For people like Crenshaw crying that we should “unleash” our military might right away — against what and who?

If the goal is to continue the evacuation while minimizing risk of further terrorist attacks, bombing away isn’t going to help things.

dmoneybangbang, Pringles and ROCKSS like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

What will be the next open checkbook war the war hawks will promote?

A well timed 'tear' attack on US soil again?

How can we next move the needle to use war to make money and kill brown people?