1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adrian Peterson injured still?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pariah, Apr 26, 2007.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think it's a rumor started by the Texans to get AP to fall to #10. :)

2. updawg

updawg Member

Be one of the smartest things they've done if true, but I doubt it
    Supposedly the NFL front office is pissed about the leaked info of the players that admitted to smoking pot

I'd love to see the Texans take him, some risk, but huge reward. Keep in mind that stoops ran the **** out of him so he did hold up pretty good. That collarbone was more a fluke injury.

3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

of course

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How sweet would it be if we made the rumored Denver trade and AP fell to #21?

I can dream, can't I?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ricky williams eventually played and didn't have injury issues in college.

6. Major

Major Member

The Ricky Williams example is the exact opposite of what you're trying to argue, no? He had no injury risks - he was considered the prototypical size/strength you want in a power running back. And he still wasn't a sure thing. All it shows is that there are no sure things in the NFL.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, except for you-know-who...

;)

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

there's no relation whatsoever between perterson and either prior or davis-williams - they both suffer from chronic, recurring injuries resulting specifically from what they do on the field of play; in prior's case, a bum arm; davis-williams, a bum knee.

peterson's nicks have not been chronic or recurring. and thus, they should, given time, heal properly and cease being an issue.

beyond that, it's wasted breath to try and predict injuries as there is no rhyme of reason to ones that aren't non-recurring. bennie joppru had four healthy years at michigan but couldn't get off the IR in three years with the texans. willis macghee blew his knee out his final college game and has missed just two games in his three-year pro career.

etc., etc.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, no kidding. When I heard that Ricky had injured his china dolls a few years ago, I was devestated. But then when it leaked out that he had shattered some of his snow globes, I was PISSED.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

With his proction declining every year, the susceptability to injury, and the more important needs of the Texans; I'd definitely let somebody else take the risk.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

proction=production

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

???

'04: 148.0 rushing yds/game; 5.7 ypc; 15 TDs (13 games)
    '06: 144.5 rushing yds/game; 5.4 ypc; 12 TDs (7 games)

when fully healthy ('04 & '06), his production was consistently great. even during an injury-plagued '05, if you take the 3 games in which he totaled 16 carries (and 57 yards), his numbers look like this:

'05: 131.4 rushing yds/game; 5.2 ypc; 13 TDs (8 games)

let's stop trying to talk ourselves out of something.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

He insists he's healed and ready to go.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/football/4752830.html

Sooners' Peterson healed and ready

By BARRY WILNER AP Football Writer
    © 2007 The Associated Press

NEW YORK — Adrian Peterson insists his collarbone has healed properly and he will be in minicamp for whichever team selects him in Saturday's NFL draft.

He's also not concerned that a recent report claiming he will need further surgery on the left collarbone will hurt his draft stock. The Oklahoma running back expects to go very high.

"The last couple of teams I visited with, Atlanta and Minnesota, I've been through everything you can do and there is nothing negative," he said Thursday. "Everything has been positive news. They've got everything right there in front of them and there are no red flags.

"I'll be ready for minicamp and won't miss anything at all."

Peterson originally was hurt against Iowa State and missed seven games. He acknowledged he reinjured the collarbone during Oklahoma's loss to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.

"Yes, but it was not a re-break," he said. "It wasn't completely healed at the time, but it was solid. I hurt it, but I didn't break it again."

He estimated the injury is "95 percent healed."

In the last two months, Peterson has had CT scans and X-rays, been poked and probed by team doctors and trainers, then had more exams. He said not once has a team indicated it was dissatisfied with the findings.

Peterson was at the NFL combine in February for medical tests, then returned to Indianapolis in March for a checkup. He said that even if another medical procedure had been necessary to place a plate in the shoulder, he would have been ready for minicamp next month.

"The doctors all said they looked forward to it being healed very shortly," he said.

Peterson's college career was plagued by injuries. When healthy, he was among the most productive players in college football history.

Peterson reeled off a record-setting nine straight 100-yard rushing games to start his freshman year and set an NCAA freshman record with 1,925 yards rushing. In subsequent seasons, he missed time with a sprained ankle and a dislocated shoulder before the collarbone problem.

A junior, Peterson is considered the best running back in the draft by far. No other runner is projected to go in the top dozen picks.

"The guy at Oklahoma is a great running back," said Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, whose team chooses fourth but has a standout runner in Carnell Williams. "I think he's as good a running back coming out of college I've ever seen. This guy is killing people when he runs the ball."

Had it not been for the injuries, does Peterson believe he would have been the No. 1 pick?

"If my collarbone was not broken this season, I could be sitting here at No. 1," he said with a smile. "But there's nothing I can do about it now.

"It's truly a blessing to be in this situation. There are millions of people who would like to be sitting here now."