1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman95, Apr 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

She is alive now. He is saying things would be better if she was not. It's really not as hard as you're making it out to be.

I've read a lot of strange things on this board, but your last sentence flat-out scares me--and I don't throw words around like that loosely.

2. haven

haven Member

Abortion is a tough issue for me because I'm not religious, but there's still something about it that makes me uncomfortable in my gut. I mean, how DOES one know when someone's a person? So I've tried to find a scientific answer to the problem. That seems to be the best one I've found.

Listen, I respect your opinion on this board a great deal. I don't want to get in some slugfest over an issue that's so inflammatory and unresolvable. This is why I noramlly try to keep quiet.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

rm95, I know that you were just trying to be a dork when you started this thread (not that you have to try too hard), but did the episode of Bush last night cause this?

------------------
    \../

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

When I spoke of adoptions, I didn't say they were the definitive answer, I said adoption was an option for those people that VOR mentioned. I just didn't like the black and white phrasing of his post (that the choice was keeping the baby or abortion). But he wasn't trying to say that anyway. It was just the implication I got from reading it.

As we've noted in other threads, there are plenty of children available for adoption who don't have a family to go to. Many of them are children who were taken from their homes later in life (making them harder to place since most adoptive parents tend to want newborns or near-newborns) or they have health problems, or whatever. I wouldn't contend that adoption is the be-all-end-all solution to the question of abortion. I merely state that is an option that should probably be considered by people in many situations. Adoption can be a very beneficial alternative to some. But it isn't right for everyone.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

5. The Voice of Reason

freak, since the inception of this thread you have made inflamatory comments. dont try to turnnit around on haven now. I will however my own defense of what I wrote for a bit.
    you post that i want this baby gorl dead. not even true. if i wanted her dead, i could snap her neck next time I hold her. that is an assinine assumption. I just think they would have been better off if she was never born. if she was aborted, she would have never been alive therefore she could never die.

I feel that abortion after the synapses connest is murder. before that it si nasty and immoral. but 1st trimester is all good. even 2nd trimester is ok, but not encouraged. 3rd trimenster is scary, so dont do it.

If you are gonna continue to make inflamatory comments you will only serve to make this thread a falme war on opinions that will never meet in the middle. aftetr all I DO understand why pro lifers are against abortion, however pro lifers rarely can see the valididty of pro choice arguments.

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

I am glad that I was not aborted, I would venture to guess that most of you are too.

------------------
    Hike up your skirt a little more, and show the world to me.

7. TheFreak

haven, do you feel a little silly now about what you said to me earlier? Cmon.

Voice of Treason -- never mind, it's not worth it.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

If you're going to kill it, you'd better be sure it's NOT an innocent human being. Can you be? Ever? At any single moment?

Who is going to speak for the child?

All your contortive thinking is just self-justification to find an easy way out of a tough situation for those (usually) responsible.

I think there are some isolated cases where an abortion is justifiable when considered by the parents and an attending medical professional, but offing a life because the time is not right in your life is simply horrible.

We have a two- to three-month old wriggler in the oven right now. There's no way it comes out anything other than a HUMAN CHILD.

How can you be so foolish to even argue that? From the moment of conception it had the HUMAN genome (sp?).

The argument only exists out of desperation and I can't wait until the day when it is hushed out of existence.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

9. Timing

Timing Member

Can we expect a gun control thread for tomorrow? Anyone... Bueller?

------------------
    "You have to think optimistic. I think it's never over till it's over." - Clyde Drexler after losing at home to go down 3-1 to the Suns in '95

10. The Voice of Reason

Freak, do you think you are better than me?? are you too good to answer?? i think not. either this is a flame war, or this is a debate. a debate over debateable issues. not the crap that has been coming around so far.
    I am pro choice, However I will never endorse it. I will support a woman throught it if she chooses to abort.
    It would be wrong of ME to assume that abortion is right for someone I do not know. Just like YOU cannot tell me it is wrong for someone you do not know. I shared 2 stories one supporting the womans right to choose how her life will turn out. also i gave an exaple that showed that there is some grey area. I am happy that little girl exists. she is adorable and will grow up to be a good kid. but if she was aborted, the parents would be leading happier lives right now, and they could each have beutifull special children in the future. honestly it dosnt matter to me. either way i get called uncle micah. I just belive they would have been better off. also their future children would be better off.

I accept your views. do you accept mine?? am i a barbarian?? a monster?? not worth comment??

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

11. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Not that I really want to get in the arguement, but paying for a woman's abortion is de facto endorsing it. Surely you can see that?

------------------

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that there really are not enough abortion threads. I wish that every day someone would start a new one. then, all of the same characters can join in with the exact same arguments...no, better yet...everyone would have ot change their arguments/stance.

Today I will say that I only approve of abortions AFTer 8 months. That way, the irresponsible woman can feel the pain of childbirth for 8 months without getting the payoff of a lovechild.

Then, the mother has to get a tattoo on her forehead that says, "I once had a baby but the stork took it away because I was baaaaad. For 25 cents I will go into labor right in front of you."

That would learn her!

------------------
    Whitey will pay.

13. Ali Cat

Ali Cat Member

Abortion is the woman's choice. along with the guy that knocked her up. not religious zealots.

Oh yes, I like being confrontational, but that is a different thread... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Poopy!
    And, yes, I have a boyfriend.
    Five papers and counting! wahoo!

[This message has been edited by Ali Cat (edited April 05, 2001).]

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I just wrote a 13 page research paper on partial-birth abortions for my gov class at UT. I don't have time right now, but in the morning I'll share my thoughts [​IMG]

------------------

15. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thank goodness,

We almost went ten minutes without a discussion on abortion. I was beginning to get worried. [​IMG]

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams

16. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hey, you pro-Choice advocates, should you be able to terminate the life of your 4 minute- or 4-week, 4-month, or 4-year-old because you are tired of being a parent or some circumstance in your life has changed that makes it inopportune to be a parent at this juncture of your life?

What's the big deal about which end of the birth canal the fatal blows are struck?

Granted doing the dirty deed pre-birth makes it SEEM less real and so less horrifying and evermore justifiable but still delusional.

And no, pro-Lifers are not obligated to respect your opinion. We are only oblilgated to respect your RIGHT to have an opinion. I don't even ask you to respect my opinion.

Just respect the innocent human life that sleeps, laughs, smiles, kicks, sucks thumb and hiccups LONG BEFORE exiting the birth canal.

Is that really too much to ask?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

17. TheFreak

VOR -- no, I'm not better than you or too good to answer. Sorry. One thing though--I can absolutely say it's wrong for someone I don't know. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean I can't say it's wrong.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You don't know that the parents would be living happier lives. Perhaps they would be ruing the fact they aborted the child. They would certainly be living different lives, but I don't think anyone can say they would necessarily be happier. Perhaps they would be happier, but to assume that if they had aborted their child their lives would be happier is a bit absurd.

If the mother is spending the child support money unwisely, the father should go to court and work to get the custody issue changed. Maybe he could get custody or have the court appoint a 3rd party to monitor the money.

------------------

19. The Voice of Reason

Dylan, by helping to pay for her abortion i was not endorsing, NO WAY. i was helping a person afford to do what she thought was best. she chose to abort. she shared that with me, i helped her afford it. if she had the child i would have given her money to help with the child as well. the fact is she couldnt have afforded the child let alone the abortion. my 100 saved her 100k

as i said earlier it all worked out for this girl, so i am quite happy with the results. if she had not come to me for help she may have gone to someone else, some butcher. or she may have given birth. regardless. she did well by herself, and i was just there to support.

bobrek, you are correct i do not KNOW that they would be living happier lives. I am quite certain however. i have to remind you that i have known the girl literally my whole life. our families have been cluse for 3 generations. the father i met 6 years ago, and is one of my best friends. please trust me when i say they would be happier. I should also add that she could not gen an abortion because of her families religon(very strict) both she and him wanted to abort, but she would have been disowned..and ostracised.
    the kid is ok, because they live in the same town, so he has her 2 days a week, and sees her almost every day (day care pick up type stuff) so there is no need for legal action, well at least not yet.

to you posters that are un accepting of my views, or accepting of my right to those views i suppose i could show you an equal amount od disrespect. if this thread is to be of any substance. any substance other than opinion stating, and bashing, than we need to accept where other people are coming from. to debate the debatable. I dont think abortion is murder, you do. fine no argument from me, but i at least respect your opinion. please respect mine. if you do not, than fine, live in your cave be closed minded, and gain nothing. I gain from every thread on this bbs. well every intelligent thread anyway.

peace

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I bet if that 'fetus' survived till its 20th birthday, it would put a little bit higher value on its life than 100k.

------------------
    Panties not best thing on Earth ... but next to it.