1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Zac Taylor, Matt Lefleur, Brandon Staley….

McVay was young and inexperienced when he was hired.

At the end of the day it’s impossible to know for sure, but I would be very content with trying to emulate THAT system.

2. STR8Thugg

Right? Geezus with some of these ****ing people.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As I said before. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to fawn over.

Although for argument's sake, you could delve into who those guys are coaching at QB versus who we have....

Also, not trying to demean his or your point, but it's 2 of the 4 teams in the playoffs, technically.

#663 Two Sandwiches, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Rudyc281 and STR8Thugg like this.
  4. STR8Thugg

What exactly has Brian Flores proved? That he alienated a young QB? That he couldn’t play nice with others? (BOB cough, cough). That he wasn’t able to have a consistent or effective offense?

I think he is a fine candidate. I just don’t think it would be a good fit here in Houston. There’s plenty of nuance to this discussion. Flores certainly overachieved by all outward appearances with W/Ls in Miami. He also seems to be very good at making adjustments in season and getting his team to respond. The reason he was fired was much more political than on the field results, that much is clear. So I’m not trying to act like he is a trash candidate. He’s not.

Regarding KOC, he’s learned under McVay, I like that offensive system. He seems like a bright, young, moldable coach. I think he has a lot of positive attributes. At the end of the day it comes down to McVay and his influence on him. People can sneer at that all they want, but unlike the Patriots south BS (which Flores would contribute to) the McVay tree has shown extremely promising early returns. I think KOC could do wonders for Mills or another young QB we eventually draft, and it comes down to me trusting that offensive system and influence of McVay. Going a different direction than an Easterby buddy is a huge added bonus.

5. STR8Thugg

Fair enough. I took your quote in the wrong context.

People laughed and rolled their eyes a few years ago when “everyone who has had a passing conversation with McVay is getting hired.” Namely they were throwing smoke at Zac Taylor.

Talent is required to win in the NFL, and I have confidence Caserio will turn around the roster. I also transformed from Mills’ biggest critic to being on record that I think he should get an opportunity to be the starter from day 1 next year. With a good offensive scheme and added talent from this offseason, it’s not unreasonable to think Mills could show vast improvement. He was the 2nd best rookie QB on by far the worst team with the absolute worst coach.

6. Two Sandwiches

I don't disagree with you.

And I may have to dispute you on transforming from Mills biggest critic. But I agree he needs a set system with a good mind to develop in.

I trust Caserio to hire the right people. I hope it's an offensive coach. As I've stated before, I am on the McCown train, but O'Connell would be a good choice. I want McCown hired mostly from an anarchists' point of view, and because I like him as a man and what he stands for. I also believe that given a proper chance, he would succeed.

But I would love O'Connell.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

No he didn't. He said "that more than likely would not be the case.”

He gave himself wiggle room.

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

Dispute me in what way? That I wasn’t a massive critic of him, or that you are his biggest critic?

See that’s the thing. I actually don’t trust Caserio to hire the right people. Regardless of whether it was a bridge coach thing or whatever, I can’t give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

His draft class and player evaluations on the other hand? Hell yeah I can get down with that.

This coaching hire is extremely important, and I hope he doesn’t try to get too cute again.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Being his biggest critic. I started a thread at the end of his first game saying he wouldn't last two years in the league lol.

I hear you on hiring the coach. I still have no clue why they hired Culley. I think there was some sort of ulterior motive there, but I have no idea what it was.

10. STR8Thugg

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/houston-arizona.313422/#post-13758455

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/mills-throws-a-really-good-ball.313401/page-5#post-13758511

A couple of snippets from earlier last year, lol

I think they thought he would be a good bridge bc he would listen to his superiors and have an annoying, positive attitude. It hard to imagine that you could expect anyone to decline a penalty that gives you another chance at a 3rd down conversion, or that he wouldn't be able to "compute" letting the Patriots score, but regardless, he was one of the most clueless coaches I have ever seen, and I'm not giving any more benefit of the doubt when it comes to that.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So KOC is hope based on McVay? I understand that's just part of it but man how long has he even been in his current position he's in? KOC on hope is different in that it's not so Patriot south but outside of that it's still a hire that's more questionable than it does make sense. The shots at Flores is political like you said which is another reason why if the Texans hired him it could get all this media/player focused hate off of Houston and shifted to Miami. Would give Houston a breath of fresh air to truly rebuild and rebrand. I do think KOC gives us a chance to rebuild if he can come in strong as a head coach with 0 experience... just a huge risk for a franchise that cannot afford to just F this up again.

12. STR8Thugg

[​IMG]

raining threes likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So Josh McCown is the leading candidate?? Josh freakin' McCown?!!

Cstyle42, Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  14. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

does anything surprise you with this circus show at this point? If they are going to hire this fool who has no experience what so ever they might as well have just kept Culley.

Oh the good ol’ days when we had Bill O’ Brien

TheRealist137 and coachbadlee like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Damn damn damn

17. raining threes

Harbaugh will most likely get that job.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Last “source” said demeco was the favorite to land the job there

raining threes likes this.