1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2012 Cell Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Just using the messaging program that came with the phone. I downloaded hand cent but am a little wary of a free SMS program.

Don't know why.:(

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Do you have jellybean?
    Makes me want to never touch gosms again. Especially now that I have built in emoji

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Were you getting lag prior to switching to swift key? You can download the jellybean keyboard found on aosp phones

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Yeah, I was getting lag before swift key.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I compared goSMS side-by-side on 2 GS3's (the other running stock). goSMS is SLOW. Sad I used for so long.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I just got rid of GO SMS...its so annoying during group text messaging.

So I opted for no group text messaging by sticking to the stock app.

That's the only issue I have with the S3...the text messaging sucks compared to the iPhone.

7. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I posted a pic of my group texting in the other iphone thread, was that not evidence it works on the S3? Or am I totally missing what you mean?

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I love GOSMS, but people who would text me from an ATT iPhone would not always come through...so I uninstalled it a few days ago and am running the stock on HTC Sensation..

I miss GOSMS already...

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I never saw it...let me try to find it.

EDIT:

Yes, you can send out texts to multiple people...but you cant engage in a group conversation. For instance, if one of your friends sends out a text to 5 people with you included...and you try to respond, your text will only be sent out to the sender, not to everyone in the group. For example, if a friend sends out a text, "Lunch at 1?" to 5 of us...and I respond with "Lets go grab sushi"...nobody will see that text but the friend that originally sent out the message. That defeats the whole purpose of group texting.

#249 rezdawg, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Ah, I see. Yeah, I use Google+ Messenger for that myself and doesn't use texts.

So yeah, I misunderstood ya haha.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Just announced today, the Windows Phone 8X and 8S from HTC. Looks nice.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The best-selling phone doesn't mean it is the best phone.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Very nice. If the 920 doesn't go to Verizon, then they'll at least have this solid phone to go to. And it has a microUSB port!

I'm still leaning towards the 920, but I will go in to a store and actualy use the 920, Ativ S, and 8X before I make my final decision.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So I've been looking far and wide for a data centric cell phone plan with unlimited texting and limited minutes, and I think I found one.

T-Mobile has a $30 a month plan (no contract) that has 100 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data (5GB until throttling kicks in).

I'm definitely thinking about pairing this with a Nexus 4 and buying a Samsung Chromebook that I can tether it too. ($15 bucks a month)

My only reservation is T-Mobile's data coverage. If it isn't trustworthy, or fast enough, I think I'd rather go with Verizon and sign a contract. Even though the monthly bill would jump from $50 a month to $120 a month, it would fit my needs perfectly. I would have to choose between phones like the iPhone 5 or Motorola MAXX, though. Google's Nexus isn't really worth it on Verizon, so I hear?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I got an unlocked Nexus and use that T-Mobile $30/month plan.

Coverage and data speed seem pretty good to me. According to this map:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405611,00.asp

The speeds are competitive with Verizon.

Though I've never used Verizon's LTE network.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

LTE is not a dealbreaker for me in terms of the Nexus 4, obviously. But I can imagine it would make browsing on a tethered laptop amazing.

I got snookered into signing a 2 year contract with Sprint for a shiny free Galaxy S2, and I've regretted it ever since. "Unlimited" data doesn't mean jack if there is no signal, which is frequently the case where I live and work.

If T-Mobile can give me a consistent, reasonable connection, I will be absolutely sold. Although I suppose if the signal sucks I can always sell the Nexus 4 and jump to Verizon, since I won't be under contract.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Does the Nexus 4 support the HSPA+ 42 network though?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just the HSAP+ 21 network, but it's the same as Galaxy Nexus.

I don't see speeds get to 21 anyways.

19. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I thought I read on the official release that the T-Mobile Nexus 4 does support HSPA-42. This works for unlocked phones on the T Mobile network as well.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member