1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Cell Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

New rumors say the HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy S 3 could both come out in April. I'm thinking that the S3 might be a slightly later US release (maybe May or June), but apparently, Samsung and HTC are trying to avoid this gap. Both want to compete with the iPhone 5 coming out this year, and I think both want to beat the iPhone out in order to get the early sales jump.

Couple these two with the iPhone, the new Huwaei phones, the new Acer stuff, etc., etc. and there are some pretty exciting phones coming out this year.

My contract is due up April 1st, but I'm curious as to what happens in the next two months or so, and I may have to wait to see what comes out. Apparently, Sprint and HTC have a big announcement to make (probably regarding the HTC One X) on April 4th.

(Sorry, I know this could have been posted in the multiple other cell phone threads, but I feel we need a general discussion on all types of upcoming phones)

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Unless the rumors say the iPhone is going to have a display worthy of a large man's hands (like mine and yours), go with HTC.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yeah, Sprint is pretty much going to announce a new "EVO", at least that's my feeling.

I'm personally more of a Samsung fan, but those new HTC phones aren't that bad. Go with AMOLED :)

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'd go with Samsung just because I like it as a brand and their screen is really second to none. It'll be with ICS too so that's always nice.

6. Nero

Nero Member

What is in the pipe for Sprint as the successor to the EVO 4G? My upgrade time is also coming up in a few months, but I have heard precious little, and this thing is starting to feel a little long in the tooth.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anyone have the sprint samsung galaxy epic 4g touch?

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Go with the Galaxy Nexus :) that bad boy is coming to Sprint. However, phones are get outdated so quickly now lol

9. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

No idea if Sony Xperia S is out or not, I would go with that one.

10. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Had no idea about the new HTC phone.. had the evo and the evo3d.. Love them both. That will be my new phone.. 4.7 in screen! Just wish it was the quadcore that the world phone will be...

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

If I was going to get an Android phone, I don't really see the point in getting anything other than a Nexus 'brand'.

oddly enough, Reuters published a rumor that they are going with a 4.6 screen.

12. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

IF you like android and feeling like James bond, you should totally go for the Asus padofone. A solid phone with specs to the tube of 1 g of ram, 8 mp cam, and AMOLED screen BUT it slides into a tablet docking station. It's pretty creative

http://event.asus.com/mobile/padfone/

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I do and I love it.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

i do. great phone. sprint sucks though, already regretting my 2 year contract.

i've avoided it for years, but next contract, i'm going to verizon.

15. Nero

Nero Member

What do you not like about Sprint?

I can't imagine going away from the unlimited data plan.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I have one I got on launch day. Still as amazing as ever. The first phone I ever used that didn't seem to understand that it was just a measly phone and ought to struggle with big boy tasks. Everything just flies. I still remember my amazement the first day I loaded up ESPN3.com and it loaded FASTER than my computer would, and streamed all the high quality video without even breaking a sweat. And the display just ... wow.

The thing is a beast. It's never slow, never tied up with anything, never too bogged down to respond to your request. I know the Galaxy S III is going to be twice as amazing, but this thing will be competitive for a long while.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm looking to upgrade from my nexus 4g s. I get a big discount at sprint. You are talking about the data speed right? That's what sucks for me. The 4 g is a crap shoot.

18. Nero

Nero Member

4G has been almost a total bust for me as well, I have had the EVO 4G since August of 2010, and I have probably actually USED the 4G less than 20 times.

But I understand that that kind of comes with the territory of living in the far NW of Houston, as well as working inside a dense IT building surrounded by electronics and servers and all kinds of interference - heck I can't even listen to an AM radio in here.

But I have heard that Sprint is trying to build LTE service as fast as it can, and supposedly that will improve the 4G experience.. anyone have any information about that?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

They are building an l t e network. I think that new nexus phone will have it

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The data is erratic, at best, even on 3G.

The voice service isn't all that strong, either. Serviceable, but nothing to write home about.

The data is the killer for me, though. I can't justify paying just as much as I would on Verizon for this crap.

I don't like the data service. It absolutely sucks. Worse than T-Mobile, IMO. Better than AT&T, but that's like saying one dog turd is better than another.

Unlimited data is kind of pointless when it's 1) this expensive and 2) hardly works.

I know Verizon phones are not the best, and the data is capped, but at least the FRICKIN' WORKS when you tell it to. :mad:

When I got this phone, Amazon had it on sale for a penny with a 2 year agreement. I thought the unlimited data would pair well with my HP Touchpad. But the data has been so spotty, and the Touchpad doesn't suck down Kbs all that much. Then Verizon came out with their new plan for 4GB and mobile hot spot enabled for $30, and I wish I had done that instead with a Galaxy Nexus. I'm stuck in this MFin' contract until November 2013.

#20 DonnyMost, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012