1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Miracles Boys33, Nov 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

lol, I was waiting for that.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

nobody should ever die too. Also there should be no wars. :rolleyes:

yes a woman shouldn't need self-defense but here in the real world she does.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My comments regarding self-defense aren't an excuse to men but a caution regarding self-defense. I agree that men shouldn't be cat calling women at the same time though it has to be understood that cat calling while crude and annoying isn't the same as a physical assault. The thing we need to be very careful about regarding self-defense is where an overreaction might end up escalating the situation.

Of course women shouldn't have to worry about things like this at the same time I shouldn't have to worry about locking my doors or guarding my wallet when I walk in a crowded area. There are a lot of things that we shouldn't have to worry about but the reality is that there are people who rob and harass other people. It's not right but it is sensible to be prepared to deal with such people.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

^that reminds me of an article I saw a couple of months ago. It was by a university's police department titled like "Don't Be A Victim". Basically, it tried to convey to female students to be safe, be aware, and make yourself less of an easy target to predators.

Stupidly, the feminist crowd was up in arms about teaching people not to be sexual predators and that women shouldn't have to be scared for their own safety. Ideally, that's true, but how many criminals are really up for an open discussion to rehabilitate their criminal tendencies?

The message was pretty universal for anyone who didn't want to be a target of a crime. Self defense is a lot about self preservation. Be smart and avoid dangerous situations. Nobody should have to be subject to harassment. Most of that video is a stretch to call harassment. But when you feel threatened, like I would when that guy followed her for minutes, stay safe and stick to public areas with witnesses who could help.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you wear clothes in a manner that attracts attention, it attracts attention. Squeezing into skin tight clothes is one way of attracting attention, both good and bad. If you don't want that attention, don't wear clothes that attract it.

This really should be easy to understand.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

These women clearly deserve it.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Teaching self-defense recognizes there are evil people in the world. I shouldn't have to lock my door or worry about getting mugged walking down an alley, but it is a fact of life.

It is nothing like rape. Now, it might make a woman feel uncomfortable and in certain cases fear that she is about to be raped, but in a crowded area somebody saying "How you doing" or sneaking a glance is pretty innocent.

A woman should consider her clothing and my experience with women tells me that they do. They wear tight clothes to look attractive. They shouldn't have to worry about being harassed, but they should consider what they wear and how people might react.

There is a line on what should be acceptable. You can't just say don't speak to women out in public.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

what is the solution?

Hollaback talks about legislation... Is that the solution?

What is the solution?

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The solution is to treat people with respect.

10. Andrew Wiggins

While i agree with leaving women alone and that they should not have to deal with this, you cannot deny the fact that she is a huge troll.

A fat ass chick wearing all black to make her breasts and ass look even bigger walks around urban spots in NY for 10 hours. How do you even know if this is real? What if she paid some of these guys or they were her friends. I digress. Do the same thing with a skinny girl wearing all white walking in downtown Houston for 10 hours and see if you get the same results. We all know young, urban guys love fat asses due to the rap genre. Some of you guys are making way too big a deal out of this. Her goal was to get reaction$.

11. Andrew Wiggins

On another note, we should see her ass before she starts the video. Those pants are too tight and they could be showing off more than she bargained for.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It doesn't matter. People should not be subjected to 'cat calls'. If she wants to wear tight fitting jeans, she should be able to without attracting unwanted advances. She should not have to compromise her wardrobe.

13. bobrek

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What world do you live in? If I were to walk down a busy street wearing nothing but a thong and a hat with a dildo attached to the top of it, do you think I'd receive some attention both wanted and unwanted? Should I have to compromise my wardrobe or should I just expect attention both wanted and unwanted when dressed that way?

15. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

We're genetically disadvantaged. Our strength and size pretty much means we'll lose almost battle against a man. Throw in a pencil skirt and heels or flats from work or a tight dress and heels when going out, and we're really at a disadvantage if attacked.

It drives me nuts when someone blames a woman for her choice of clothing for her harassment. I wear tight black pants. I like tight black pants. They're pants. I don't deserve to get harassed for anything that I wear.

I've experienced catcalling a lot more in Europe, here, usually downtown Houston after dark. When we're in groups or in a well lighted public place, catcalling can much more easily be received as a compliment because safety isn't as big of a concern. We can later laugh and giggle about some comments someone made about us, and sometimes it is nice to hear a compliment.

But when I'm walking alone, when I already don't feel safe, a stranger noticing me, saying something about my appearance or even just says how you doin, really puts me on the edge. It's terrifying. It's not a compliment. I don't know if men know how terrifying their catcalling can be for a solo woman. If they did, it's disturbing why they'd keep doing it.

Here's what pretty much goes on in my head when I'm walking alone. Even when someone doesn't catcall

okay man approaching on the left
    he's looking this way
    don't make eye contact
    or will he get offended if I don't look at him and react?
    put your don't mess with me face on
    okay he's really looking this way
    crap, should I switch my purse to my right side?
    or will he get offended if he thinks that I think he may rob me?
    I'll switch it anyways. There are photos on my camera roll I haven't transferred to my computer yet. Can't have my phone stolen tonight
    is there anyone around who would help me if I scream?
    maybe that person?
    If he attacks, I could kick him in the groin
    punch his throat
    could I really punch someone?
    "Hey pretty mama"
    :|
    ugh
    don't respond
    wait what if he gets offended and keeps bothering me to hear from me?
    but if I respond he may think it's an invite to talk more to me
    just keep walking
    he's not following me is he?
    don't look back
    wait maybe you should look back to be sure
    okay in the clear

You feel bad for making judgements about people before they even do anything but you're foolish if you don't think of your fight or flight plan. I've had a couple of those I should switch my purse to the other side incidents lately, one guy made an angry remark about it after he walked by. I was terrified, but I still have my purse.

4 people like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing that you don't have a daughter?

Had to edit. That was a damn fine post, Rocketgirl, and right on target. Too bad that a lot of guys here simply won't understand it.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

^ THANK YOU for giving us your take on this.
    This is one of the first times I can say I'm truly ashamed of some people on here. Just ridiculous.

You sir are an idiot. Pardon the insult but it's tiring to hear guys use that as justification for a woman getting guys saying stuff-cat-calling her.

SHE WORE BLACK! Not an all white outfit. Not a red outfit or some other bright color. So WTF colour did you want her to wear???
    A simple pair of jeans and a shirt. That's all she wore. I have had girlfriends and friends wear similar things, simple things and yet endure such behavior. I am sure some people have sisters and daughters that have had to deal with such crap and they weren't even dressed up in anything special. IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHAT THE FEMALE IS WEARING!
    Also, trust me on this, yes a chick with a big ass will get a lot of attention and cat-calls from the "urban" crowd and the hispanic crowd but don't be fooled in thinking a skinny chick wouldn't also get harassed by such.

Her goal was to put on video and show what MANY women deal with everyday. Most of them are at the point where they just shrug when talking about it and try to move on to another topic because they have been dealing with idiot guys saying things to them and harassing them SINCE THEY WERE TEENAGERS!

I'm just incredulous that some on here think it's all an overreaction and she brought it on herself and blah blah blah. Hopefully your girlfriends, wives, sisters and daughters never have to deal with such crap.

18. bobrek

Yeah...because that is exactly the kind of wardrobe I was referring to. :rolleyes:.

Wearing a normal pair of jeans and a normal shirt, as this woman was, should not invite unwanted advances. Wearing a pink shirt as the guy in Dallas was doing should not invite being beaten. Wearing an opponents' jersey to a home game, should not invite poor behavior.

1 person likes this.
  19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Lolz ok, keep believing that. You either don't know enough females or haven't talked to them about that stuff because I've had a number of them tell me about situations on the way to a grocery store or back. I didn't say anything about while grocery shopping, I said wearing basic clothing that one might wear to go to a grocery store and in the process of going to one. For sure the city one is in also factors in as well. Some cities are worse than others when it comes to this.

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Catcalling is undeniably disrespectful. No one catcalls a girl expecting that she'll take it as a compliment and maybe strike a conversation.

However... What the hell is this online video going to do? This behavior is class specific (those lacking class). These are the types of people that you cannot educate. I've never catcalled a girl because it is self-evidently stupid.

If you want to get a girl's attention you have to turn all of your disrespectful instincts towards creating an illusion of respect and common decency ;)