1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Miracles Boys33, Nov 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You mean... just avoid well populated streets like the Hollywood strip?

Great lesson, just hide from anywhere where you stand out by how you look because:

1) Idiots are everywhere
    2) Bystanders around idiots are too chicken to stand up for the bullied

There's a thread in the hangout about living life in fear...

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

Avoiding walking around the Hollywood strip is hardly an experience you'd kick yourself for on your death bed for not experiencing...

There are far more important things in life people avoid out of fear more readily than something this mundane...

3. Invisible Fan

^You're the missing the point or the context. Not enough ellipses?

4. VanityHalfBlack

Guys, come on!!! Bros before hoes man!!!

[​IMG]

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

6. Hmm

Hmm Member

Your point is as flaccid as whatever personal impelling force was behind this churlish retort...

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't make those type of catcalls (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't "window shop") but I don't know if it's so terrible. It happens. It's not ideal but ehhhh. Maybe my perspective will change in some years but watching the video and reading people's arguments for why this is offensive don't sway me.

8. Invisible Fan

What's this? The dictionary!?!

It's a no-brainer that a person in drag is going to get grief where ever he/she goes. Even in the freakshow that is Hollywood.

The suggestion that he can just avoid public places to avoid said grief is as big as a no-brainer, that you might as well not suggest it at all.

And the problem to this is that we like to live in this ideal that we can do what we want as long as it negatively influence doesn't other people. Provided of course, that ideal only applies to ourselves.

People are dicks, no ****.

9. Asian Sensation

This is nothing compared to India. So I've heard.

10. Buck Turgidson

Sweet black baby jesus, there's a whole ton of stupid in this thread....[turns around, walks away]

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I talked about it here before. Lol thanks I'm glad I'm here too. :)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8969513&postcount=24

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I was about to type something similar(assuming we feel the same way about the majority of what has been said in this thread so far).

A number of fella's here apparently believe a woman only (or usually only) gets cat-called when she is in clothing that "should" elicit such behavior. As if that matters to most guys that engage in such behavior.
    Also, I have to believe most of the people that don't see the problem with it either do not have daughters or sisters because rare is it to find a woman who has not had to deal with such behavior and for some they've had to deal with it more than most. (Starting from teenage years).
    For those that have little issue with the behavior in the video(obviously saying hello and have a nice day, etc. isn't on the same level as the guys that say crude stuff or follow the girls around), what if your girlfriend or wife had to deal with that? I don't even mean when wearing "club" outfits or short, tight outfits. Just basic professional clothing, going to work or to the grocery store after work or some place like that. I'm not sure I'll understand how someone that wouldn't do/say stuff like that can condone such behavior.

/rant

1 person likes this.
  13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So let me get this straight, it IS a problem to be overwhelmed by someone's attractiveness when they are not trying to attract people even if you just think it in your head?

What about a smile and eye contact?

Or is this just a matter of whether to actually say anything to that person or not? Does it become ok if she gives you initial positive eye contact and a smile? If that's the case, why is it that she has the authority to grant "permission" to proceed and not vice versa?

What is the solution exactly? Some people are going to be attractive to some other people. Some of those people are extroverts and some introverts. Some of those people are extremely sociable and some not. Are we going to make everyone identical? Maybe this campaign will help, maybe some of those people realize how creepy it looks on camera and decide to tone it down. But when does this end? What about at a club, is it acceptable? Is it acceptable for the other person to be rude if they don't want the attention?

The following her around was obviously messed up. Could end badly, you never know. But everything else seems blown out of proportion. She's a very attractive woman IMO, with the type of body which makes all types of clothing look attractive. That's going to attract attention, the good and bad kind. To avoid the bad kind, you have to have the right attitude and make good choices about where/when to go out to avoid this stuff - which sucks, but it sucks less than the consequences of literally every other genetic 'problem' ever. If this is the biggest problem in her life, let's say things are not that bad.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow, just reading people have been sending her violent messages, rape threats, etc.

Wtf? Why is any VIEWER so furious about this?

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10 hours of Posting in the D&D as a Conservative.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Obviously so:rolleyes: The video was an experiment and a demonstration on street harassment in the span of 10 hrs of walking. I'm sure if she's just doing errands like grocery shopping, it won't be that aggressive.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Right.

I'd ask you to name one relationship that started this way, but you'd reply with a false-premise, and idiot men would continue apace.

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, sad dudes.

And that "no risk" comment is infuriating.

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

"Teach them self-defense."

"She's fat."

"It's not the same as rape."

You people are unbelievably daft.

No woman should have to deal with this. No woman should have to consider her appearance and/or clothing while walking to a bodega. No woman should have to consider a keychain pepper spray canister a needed fixture.

What's so hard about this? Leave women alone. Don't let idiots raise their unwanted voices toward women without raising your voice toward them. Stand for something.

1 person likes this.
  20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

This experiment could have been conducted better. The fault lies with the producers.