1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tipping 2022 Edition] What's the protocol?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 1, 2022.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I used to feel bad when I would go to my local donut shop on Saturday and spend 5 bucks and then they flip the eye pad around and the first question is tip.......I just decline now and throw a buck in the glass jar, I have been to a few places where you can tell they are uncomfortable even bringing it up. Now if I go to jimmy johns and they actually make something, I go ahead and tip, usually the lowest % and it comes out to like $1.23

Not sure how true this is but I have read that if you tip on the i pad then the owner in some cases will keep the majority of it and not share with the employees......thats why if they ever have a tip jar, I will throw a buck in there and not tip on the ipad. When I get my haircut our out for dinner I normally like to pay the tip in cash so if they don't want to report it they don't have to.........the bartender at my local watering hole loves this, she makes a stronger drink knowing she gonna get paid in cash for her tip

TimDuncanDonaut, Andre0087 and Sajan like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Something changed at some point where everyone seems to expect a tip for everything. I’m surprised we’re not tipping our Amazon delivery drivers at this point. If I order Chinese takeout, it’s now expected that not only do I have to drive burning gas to pick it up but also tip for basic food preparation and bagging my food. And, you feel like a douche if you don’t. Why don’t I follow you into the bathroom and wipe your ass after you take a dump as well? The idea of takeout used to be you drive, go in, and pick it up yourself to save on tipping. You do the work of getting the food. Even then, there were exceptions like say Pappa’s Seafood where not only do you take out but are expected to tip the person assembling your order because somehow they acted like a waiter/waitress because they had to throw in extra items like tartar or red sauce. Now, we got Dominos tipping us to pick up pizza while their payment device prompts for a tip. So, we’ve come full circle. Tip the consumer for picking it up while also providing them a tip at checkout. lol

#22 Surfguy, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Don't forget to tip your doctors, folks.

Jontro, Surfguy and Sajan like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There seems to be a tipping thread every few years. Here's mine about tipping takeout people from 2008.

BigM, TimDuncanDonaut and Surfguy like this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Guess I am not the only one:

Code:
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/04/29/tip-culture-shift-us-service-economy-foreman-pkg-the-lead-vpx.cnnbusiness
    Service tips spiked at the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic. Two years later, the service economy is witnessing a drop in tips. CNN's Tom Foreman explores a Washington DC pizzeria affected by tipping fatigue and a general confusion surrounding the shifting tip culture.

jiggyfly, Andre0087 and JuanValdez like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

i tip $5 across the board cus i’m about dat lyfe

TimDuncanDonaut and FrontRunner like this.
  7. droxford

droxford Member

I'm compensating him for the gas he burns going from one house to mine (or from the pizza place to mine). I don't need to pay him more. (okay,... I think I pay him two bucks or so, but there's no need to go crazy with it).

8. droxford

droxford Member

No. Why should you?

In my rules list, I forgot about barbers.

I *shouldn't* tip my barber, since he doesn't get paid below minimum wage, but I do. I feel like he's not gonna give me a good haircut if I don't (holds me hostage).

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I tip with one of these:

[​IMG]

Good luck getting a second beer at a Parisian restaurant before the check arrives.

10. Xerobull

In restaurants, I tip very generously given the pandemic and inflation. 15% is the bottom of what I tip if the service is bad (just keep my damn drink full is all I really want), usually it's 20-25% for good service. For deliveries I try to at least tip $10 because of cost of gas, vehicle maintenance, time, etc. For pickups or counter transactions, I'll tip 5% or a dollar or two. It's tough being in the service industry, people are assholes. I can afford to be the nice guy and help make someone's day a little brighter.

My wife used to be a real skinflint and I had to get after her to tip more generously. There were times when delivery would show up and she had tipped a couple of dollars. I would tell the delivery person to hang on a second while I scrounged up a few more dollars. She's gotten better at it though. We both grew up poor so those are some habits we both had to break.

Rock Block, ROCKSS, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  11. droxford

droxford Member

Businesses have learned that, by asking you to tip their employees, their workers can get paid more without it costing the company anything. So many places that pay minimum wage or more are asking for tips. It keeps employee morale up and passes the cost on to you (if you're a sucker and you pay it). Basically, you're paying for their employee bonuses instead of the company paying for it.

ROCKSS, Andre0087 and JuanValdez like this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

this tipping culture is definitely getting out of hand. even at fast food places you are expected to tip. or my oil change place, which now has a tipping option when you pay. they have those things set up where it goes to a screen to tip 20%-30% and then you have to hit "other" to not tip.

i was a waiter for a few years and i get that service industry lives on tips...i tip at restaurants with waiters. 20% is my standard. i tip a dollar to the bartender if i get a drink(s). i tip my tattoo artist 20%. i tip lyft/uber driver. thats all i can think of. i never do food deliveries, but if i did i would definitely tip for that.

i was in ireland recently and there is no tipping anywhere. all the waiters and bartenders have those handheld card readers. they run your card in front of you and just give it back and walk away. no tipping.

Manny Ramirez, Andre0087 and Sajan like this.
  13. droxford

droxford Member

Why do you tip more than 15% for average service?

The inflated food price already puts more money in the server's pocket. If you're thinking "well, times are tough, they need more money", well then, they should put in more effort and deliver above-average service to get a higher tip. Why are you rewarding them for being mediocre?

14. Xerobull

Because EVERYTHING is inflated and there's no equilibrium yet. I'm not rewarding people for mediocre service- that goes in the 15% bracket.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5954kd/north-americas-tipping-culture-is-increasingly-oppressive
    Tipping was born in Britain back in the late 1800s. Customers usually gave a “coin or two” before they sat down for a meal to ensure good service. This practice quickly moved to North America, where tipping was usually seen in low-end diners full of female servers. In the 1950s however, the culture changed. As more and more people started travelling (especially by air), the demand for travel magazines that explained local customs burgeoned.

“These travel magazines would advise people to tip 10 percent when they dined at American restaurants. That’s when it really started becoming a norm,” claims McAdams.

jiggyfly and FrontRunner like this.
  16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

What about like a Mia's table, where you order up front but they bring you the food and will check on you from time to time? I think they might fill your drink, but you can also do it yourself? They ask for the tip up front, so you're kind of hoping that they get everything right and do a good job (unless you hold cash specifically for tipping at the end, but then the tip may only go to the person who cleaned the table).

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't really like tipping culture in general. I'd prefer that employees get good wages and customers are charged a transparent price. But, we've been heading in the wrong direction with tipping become even more important in the service industry and very little individuals can do to stop it.

Customer pays either way. If there were no tips, they'd have to pay employees more, and then raise prices to finance the salary increase. Though what tipping does do is introduce some price discrimination. Customers who are willing to pay a lot are charged more (full price plus generous tip), and those with little willingness to pay can still come and get the service (paying the company but stiffing the employee). And the beauty of it (from the company's perspective) is that they get the benefit of the price discrimination but the employee takes the associated risk.

Maybe so. But it would be illegal for them to do that.

18. droxford

droxford Member

Let's take an example of Jersey Mike's sandwiches. When you pay, you are prompted to enter a tip.
    Years ago, a sandwich shop wouldn't have prompted you for a tip. Are the employees paid less than minimum wage? No. Do I HAVE to tip? No. If the tips go to the Jersey Mike employees, then it's just a bonus for them - a bonus that comes from the me, not from the company. So Jersey Mikes (and companies like them) have learned that their employees can get paid more and have higher morale if they can get that extra bonus, and it doesn't cost the company anything.

I'm not going t pay for their bonus, so I don't pay that tip. If you pay it, you're a sucker.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Customers always pay in the end, if not in dollars then in quality. But, you're right. "Customers" always pay, but not all pay equally. You can refuse to pay, but the 'bonus' still gets funded by the other customers who do tip. You are being subsidized by tipping customers. If everyone took your advice and refused to be a sucker and tip, then either the price you are charged will go up or the quality of the service you receive will go down. I think Game Theory dictates that you should continue your non-tipping ways, but should be encouraging everybody else to tip generously. That way, you maximize the quality of the service while minimizing your own burden in paying for it.

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Hold on, are suppose to tip the Uber drivers? I have never tipped them in my life.