1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you tip takeout counter people?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I ordered some hot wings yesterday from Hooters and when I picked them up, I didn't leave a tip. The girl was watching me sign and gave this kind of scoff/sneer/laugh. I said thanks and left.

But it got me to thinking- I've gotten the impression before that these folks who man the takeout counter expect a tip. It's pretty much a drive through window to me, and I certainly don't tip those folks either.

So...do you tip them? If yes, why?

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If I'm strictly picking up, no way. But sometimes if you order takeout at a restaurant, they'll serve you a drink and some bread or something if you have to wait for your order. At that point I'll leave a buck.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

10% or less for me. Its not like they are waiting on my party and I for an hour. They brought my food from the kitchen, put it in a bag and handed it to me. I only give the 10% to be nice (and JIC they are making $3/hr. and do expect tips).

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Hell no. It's their damn job. Are they trying to tell me that they have been inconvenienced (sp?) by moving their lazy ass over to the cash register to take my money and give me my food?? To expect a tip for that is beyond r****ded - I mean seriously...

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't tip these people either. It's no different than getting food at McDonald's or anywhere else.

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

No way man, it's just because it is Hooters and she thinks she deserves it for some stupid reason. NEVER tip if you're gonna pick it up..they don't do anything but maybe pick up the bag from the back and walk 20 feet..

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't tip

[​IMG]

but for straight pick up like that? no. that girl was just being a biatch looking for a tip because her ass is hanging out of her shorts

8. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I always think about this when I order thai food. The lady at the counter stares right at me every time, and usually grunts when I don't leave gratuity. If they did anything besides running my credit card they might get a buck or two but they don't.

It's also possible (highly probable) that she doesn't speak any english other than words from the menu and 'tip please'.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Yup.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've always wondered what the right thing to do is. Sometimes I will tip a little, but usually I don't.

Another question along these lines. Should I tip the lady that grooms my dogs? I paid by credit card the other day and noticed a line on the receipt for Tip. I found that kind of odd, but maybe people in that industry are supposed to be tipped? :confused:

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Leave her some Gaines Burgers.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That's the reason why you should pay cash at the takeout counter. If you pay by cc their is a space on the bill indicating tip amount. Makes things less awkward to pay cash.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Why??

And on an unrelated note, this thread after Lil Pun's first post had 9 responses and 10 views. Then when I refreshed, it had like 11 posts and over 110 views. :confused:

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Do you tip at Sonic? I mean they do bring the food out to your car :rolleyes:

16. Fatty FatBastard

This is the correct etiquette. When you order takeout from an actual restaurant, you are typically having a bartender or waitress put the order together for you, which is impeding their normal business.

Seriously guys, if you want food from a restaurant, expect to tip. Only the manager makes more than the pittance salary these people make. And 2-3 bucks is just fine on any order under $30 bucks.

And what the hell is JIC, anyway? Did you mean JCI?

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

OK, I've worked in a restauraunt before and handled the 'takeout' duty maybe one or two times. We normally had a designated lady that handled the takeout. I'm not sure, but in some busier establishments, I think they might have a person whose only job is to handle the takeout orders. Well, our place wasn't that busy with takeout orders, so a person that had to wait tables ALSO had to handle the takeout orders. The takeout person didn't get any direct extra benefits other than not having to share any of their tips with the bus boys and host(ess). So this lady was still only making $2.62/hr I'd say, in my experience, more than half, but not nearly everyone would tip the takeout person. One time, on a $40.xx order, I had a guy give me $50 and tell me to keep the change. I thought that was a little bit ridiculous. I'd say if the people get your order right,bring the food out to your car, and are prompt, leave a buck or two.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I usually tell the girls at Sonic to keep the change, if it's less than $1.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Just in case

20. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

The board program uses cache for view counts, so it won't halt CPU as much.

And no, I don't tip people who just swipe my credit card.