1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you really want Dwight Howard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Aug 6, 2012.

?

Why do you really want Howard???

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Superstar presence in the City!

81.7%
  2. Easy to associate him as a name!

13.6%
  3. I don't know why

15.7%
  4. Just to have more National Televised Games

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. roxxy

roxxy Member

I never said that he definitely does want to be here. But you seem convinced of the fact that he doesn't want to be a Rocket. Why?

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Because he is the best center in the nba by a looooong shot. And it just so happens (like always) this league is thin on nba big men who can anchor your team's defense every night and on offense throw it down anywhere within 5 feet of the rim.

If you pair Dwight Howard with say, Chris Paul, and let daryl morey do his thang and fill out the roster - you can beat OKC or MIA with two superstars...

That scenario is the only way Houston becomes relevant before OKC and MIA begin to fade in 5 years (or longer).

I want Dwight Howard because I don't want to watch MIA and OKC collect trophies while there's no team around who can contend with them. Why can't Houston be the team to land howard and challenge them?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Only because i haven't heard otherwise.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

So if a "source" comes out and says Howard would like to be traded to Houston then will you be convinced? You trust "sources" that much.

You are aware that Nash openly said on the radio that he was old school and couldn't imagine himself being a Laker. Well guess what, he changed his mind and is a Laker now. These players changed there minds all the time.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

But all we have to go on is hearsay .... We dont know for a fact that Howard said that , we dont know his agent said that .... What we know is that Morey is willing to make the deal with or without an extension pending the cost - Obviously he knows something we dont.

If you can find a single quote where Howard or his agent says they wont re-up .... I'll shut up and go away. Sources say .... sucks , we've had more than enough sources say for the last few months.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Money and the opportunity to play with arguably one of the top 5 players in the history of the game along with two quality bigs ..... speaks volumes.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Option 5: we suck and anything Is better than the 14th pick!

Ima go with option number 5

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Money and the opportunity to be close to his children. He divorced his wife. Money and being close to his family were the two biggest motivators. Kobe, Bynum Pau were third. But the point is that all evidence pointed to the fact that he would go to Toronto. He changed his mind. Players do this all the time. Deron was more than ready to leave Brooklyn. The Nets get Joe Johnson and he stays.

9. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Howard makes just about any team a championship contender. I would say Houston's chances of securing Howard to a long term deal are approx. 5-10% at this point.

10. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Howard makes team a championship contender only on East.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

This doesn't make sense. Howard is arguably one of the top two best players in the NBA.

12. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Playing in Houston with the best PG he's ever played with in his entire NBA career that also provides him with huge market opportunities in Southeast Asia alongside an extremely flexible roster might also 'speak volumes' to Dwight and make him change his mind.

13. dragonz

dragonz Member

Durant, Lebron, who don't you like?

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lebron and Howard are top two. Both players that completely transform the fortunes of any team once added.

15. thekad

thekad Member

Uh, dude, we know Dwight and his agent are speaking through the media. He doesn't want to come to Houston, period. Let that sink in. Embrace it.

If Dwight isn't willing to take a paycut then why is Orlando trading him? They've got him over a barrel, right? So they can just keep "arguably the third best player in the league" and continue to build around him.

Of course, we both know that isn't true. He's willing to leave money on the table if it means he can flee from teams he doesn't want to play for. That's why he's being traded.

Stop being so desperate.

16. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I get the feeling that the ship has sailed on the D12 to Htown fantasy. Let's move on please.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

If the personal relationship between Howard and the Magic wasn't so terrible, and if the Orlando fans didn't hate him so much, the best solution for the Magic in fact would be to keep him. That's the difference between the Magic and the Rockets.

And as I've said over and over again - if we're only willing to take stars who would rather play in Houston than LA or Brooklyn, you better be prepared to wait a looooooonnnnngggggg time and get used to taking the backseat to those teams. I'm not.

1 person likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it is obvious he wants NY or LA. Those aren't going to happen without significant help from other teams. Dwight can throw a temper tantrum all he wants, but he can't force Orlando to take a worse deal. If traded to Houston, Dwight will have to choose between huge paycut for a preferred city, stay in Houston, or take pay cut to sign with team with cap room. Odds of keepinlg Dwight better than getting star in draft.

All this is contingent on him passing physical.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Read my sig. These are the two posters you don't want to get into an argument with. They just spread crap all over the GARM.

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Dont want because he has back problems, back problems dont go away and its really really hard to come back 100%. Plus we will have to take on Hedo.

If he was without the back problems then it would me worth taking on Hedo.