1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you really want Dwight Howard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Aug 6, 2012.

?

Why do you really want Howard???

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Superstar presence in the City!

81.7%
  2. Easy to associate him as a name!

13.6%
  3. I don't know why

15.7%
  4. Just to have more National Televised Games

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I was talking to Jason Friedman and Bill Ingram over the weekend picking their brains about off season moves

Jason Friedman comments on Dwight Howard:

@reupdadj Not if you take a big picture view. Not like Rox are on cusp of title now. They have to put themselves in position to make moves that are best for the team long term, not necessarily what get them an extra win or two this season. And right now priority is to do everything they can to put themselves in best position to land a true superstar

Maybe Howard has been inconsistent on which team he wants to go to but one team he's been consistent of not wanting to go to is Houston

Bill Ingram Comments on moving Martin For Jefferson:

@reupdadj Martin for Jefferson makes sense. Though if you think Kevin is going to d up, think again. would be good for Houston!!

So my question is why you( the true fans who is not paid by this team) really want Dwight Howard?

I'm against this for many reasons but the main reason is he stated on many occasions he doesn't want to be here and if he somehow gets traded here he will bolt like Usain. I seen this movie before with established players coming to the Rockets its called Let's Screw the Rockets Future Part 3. Part 1 was Barkley followed by Scottie Pippen in part 2. I don't want Moochie Norris , Bryce Drew, Matt Mahoney, Kelvin Cato, Kevin Willis and the list can go on type players before we got Yao or Francis after Howard leave.

1 person likes this.
  2. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Yes I want Dwight,who wouldn't want the best center in the NBA?

3. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Yaaaa The Chuck Wagon only helped us get past the sonics with Maloney, and dream, and a worn out Dexlwr, and EJ to the WCF....big big screw up uh huh....

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mavs are going to get Howard because they signed Yi Jianlian last season.

Signed,

Bill Ingram

5. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Oh ya Charles also played for 1 mil one year so shut your mouth, Charles
    is part 1 no no no, you got that wrong..Quitten 1, holding onto Mcgrady 2...Cato is in between those bc we knew he wasn't going to amount to anything...

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

These are the most bizarre examples ever. You can say a lot of things about Charles Barkley, but one thing you can't say is that he didn't want to be here. He enjoyed Houston so much (and repeatedly testified as such) that he actually signed a $1 million deal to make room for Pippen and his $15 million salary. Likewise, Pippen was a free agent who CHOSE to come to Houston. How those two examples are comparable to a hypothetical Dwight Howard trade this summer boggles my mind.

As for why folks want Howard, it's because he's arguably the third-best player in the entire NBA. You don't contend in the modern NBA without a superstar, and once Howard is off the market, there isn't another one available for the foreseeable future. If the Rockets hope to contend in the next five years, they likely need to make this deal. As a fan of the team, I would enjoy that.

P.S. In case you don't know, Howard himself hasn't made even one single verified comment about Houston, and many of us are still waiting for a logical explanation as to why he would take a $30-55 million paycut to move to Dallas or Atlanta. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

7. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

No real reason, just that I heard he's pretty good.

8. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

For a 2/3'd year rental and end up with some bad contracts for our trouble? No. I guess Morey would start trying to trade DH as soon as it's permitted but the dice roll is more than just risky. No doubt I'd love to see him for the brief time. If this drags to the trade deadline my guess a trade here is a non-starter as there is no chance of an undo.

9. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I think you got it wrong I meant trading away a potential core to just get a name here and when he doesnt resign with us then we are going to be screwed. So although moronic your point is your opinion.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That deal would be a consolation prize that I would be all for. It would allow Houston to keep all of their rookies and future picks. That would give the Rockets the flexibility to improve other positions. But Jefferson is not close to Dwight Howard and as long as Houston is in the lead to acquire him, that has to be their top priority. And they can't do it without Kevin Martin, so no deal for Jefferson until Dwight is entirely out of the picture.

11. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

So is everybody who plays in the NBA being pretty good that is

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But Dwight isn't just a name. He's a name, a lot of points, a lot of blocked shots and a ton of rebounds. That's better than a "potential core." And the chances of Dwight leaving at the end of the year is no greater than the chance for that potential core to become something more.

13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

He wouldn't that's why this would have to happen before the season and a S&T could happen at or around the trade deadline. Lots of teams could potentially be in play under that scenario. Otherwise he just walks from whatever team he is on. He'll get to enjoy the fun of being a full FA.

PS. I live in orlando (but a lifelong houston fan), he has said little publicly, almost everything going through his agent. Houston has been absent from all comments from Dan Fegan and coach Hennigan said specifically he wanted the Nets. Odds are 99% he will not sign here.

14. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

So we have a representative at the all star game

15. sidestep

sidestep Member

I was under the impression Howard wants to play for a big market (such NY or LA) and to be able to contend immediately instead of be part of a rebuilding team. I don't see how Houston is that destination.

The question is more like if Howard and Bynum are part of a three-way trade so Howard gets to where he wants, how much should Houston give up to get Bynum?

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Don't...
    I'd rather get Bynum (via 3way)....
    I'd be happier with the Kmart for Al trade...

17. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Why is there no option for 'DH is a top 5 player and simply makes the team better?' Seems like an obvious omission to me.

18. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Why does everybody want Dwight? He is a garbage overrated center with no post moves who cant make free throws and chokes late in games. HE DOESNT WANT TO COME HERE either why give up our roster for an immature piece of garbage

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

screw Dwight - I'll make the swap for Al today!

3 bigs - Al, Asik n DMo...

leaving us with all the rooks AND all the draft picks?!?
    Oh Helllllllllllyeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I'll let DM play with those chips!

Tell Utah we'll even through in a half dozen cheap contracts to fill out their roster! lol

20. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I agree,the only reason we shouldn't trade for D12 is if Orlando forces all their bad contracts on us.As long as we have enough trade assets left over to get a 2nd star like Iggy/Gay/Jsmoove would should make the gamble.

Dwight wouldn't leave a extra 30mil and another star teammate just to go to Dallas.He will love Houston once he see's how passionate Clutch City fans are.