1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why can’t we resign both Springer & Brantley?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by finsraider, Oct 9, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just because it's rare does not make it more valuable.

Is REalmuto the equivilent of Springer on defense?

Is his bat better?

Is he as good on the basepaths?

Don't know that much about Realmuto just how everybody has ben lusting after him fo 3 years but I know Springer isa plus in all phases of the game, Isn't Reddick level performance a 5 million dollar CF?

Also how do you replace the energy Springer brings this club, that has to factor in there as well.

What is the added value of having a middle of the order catcher as opposed to another just as good bat?

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is Framber an actual legit top of the Rotation guy?

Would like to see a full year before locking him in to that, he has been kind of up and down the last 2 years.

I do think we have established some real depth but I am not comfortable saying pitching is set.

3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

So Lance Zeirlein said on air that both Brantley and Springer put their homes up for sale this year.
    I know it isn’t definitive ... but it’s not a good sign.

raining threes and lw17 like this.
  4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

You make a fair point, however with the track record Strom has, I’d bet money they are formidable enough to support our lineup with enough pitching.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Astros should match and be willing to slightly exceed whatever Springer gets on the open market. If he wants to leave, nothing we can do about that. But we need to come out of the gate with a real offer that shows him we want to keep him. Pay. The. Man. He is literally legendary already.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Maybe. Maybe not.

If someone offers Springer 7 years 210 million the Astros should pat him on the back, thank him, and say best of luck.

htwnbandit and jim1961 like this.
  7. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

I'm guessing the Astros max out at 4 yr $110M for Springer. That's right in line with Altuve's remaining contract.

Maybe they try to resign Brantley for 2 yr / $35M. But I think they more likely give him a QO and sign a cheap CF (Marisnick reunion?)

raining threes and Rileydog like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm wondering if Bagwell has talked to Springer. Bagwell was also from the Northeast and there was a lot of talk about him in his early years wanting to go back and play there. He ended up loving the Houston, the city and the organization enough to finish his career here.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

No, there wasn't.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t think either come back but would be pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Springer in another jersey would just be ****ing wrong.

Astros will still be in contention assuming Yordan is healthy.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If I were a betting man, I'd say Springer has played his last game as an Astro, sure as hell hope I'm wrong.

I suspect that means they will get something done with Brantley, who while not as good a player as Springer, will come with a much more manageable contract.

#111 sealclubber1016, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling Springer will be a Red Sock next year

lw17 likes this.
  13. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

Both put their homes up for sale halfway through the season. Springer repeatedly refuses to address the plans. Reddick talks about conversations they have had about this being the final run (in a way that was broader than just him). They are leaving.

This feels like Cole last year - a lot of posters coming up with perfectly reasonable reasons they might stay and building theoretical payrolls as if it is fantasy baseball, while ignoring that the person who actually decides has sent pretty clear and consistent signals.

raining threes and Kim like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Red Sox have to be the favorite for Springer if he doesn’t resign with Houston. Secondary options would be Phillies, Nationals, Cardinals, Reds, White Sox, Giants, and Marlins. But I would be surprised if he doesn’t sign with either Houston or Boston.

#115 Snake Diggit, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Kim likes this.
  16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I know losing Springer is going to hurt but after seeing this quote it's going to be a massive blow. Apparently he said this when they were still down 3-0.
    “When you go, we go,” Correa reminded Springer. “We don’t win the World Series without you, and we don’t win this series without you.”
    Springer proceeded to hit a homer in games 4 and 5.
    He's the engine of the team. Going to be hard to replace although I think Correa can take over the engine role.

raining threes likes this.
  17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I think White Sox can be a secondary option as well. But I also think he goes to the Red Sox(although someone on another message board said Boston should spend money on pitching). And I think Brantley goes to the White Sox .

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree the a White Sox would be a pretty good fit for Springer and Brantley.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Red Sox were previously in financial hell before the pandemic, hence the Betts trade... doubt the shutdown "helped" that situation.

But they're also in a market that doesn't tolerate losing or crying poor. Springer would fill a hole there... but they're not getting out of the East without major pitching improvements.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Something worth noting with these guys - what is the value of winning? They are a bit spoiled, but Springer has been to 2 World Series and another 7-game ALCS in the last 4 years. He's built an amazing postseason legacy and is climbing a lot of charts in career statistics there.

How exciting is it to go from that to play for a Red Sox team that may not be all that great for the next few years where you might just be playing out the string by June or July? I don't know how much that will play into any decision making, but outside of the Yankees or Dodgers, there aren't many situations out there where you can confidently say "we'll be a contender the next few years".