1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Rockets Epic Defense! For Real or Fools Gold?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 26, 2013.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It'll work against the Warriors. David Lee is a versatile PF but not a stretch four by any stretch. Iggy is also not a major threat from out there. We were a tough matchup for them last year and will be even tougher for them now.

3. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

It's pretty darn good.

Asik bodying up Randolph, Dwight came up to block the running hook. That was a thing of beauty.

Seems like Harden is determined and ready to take the next step in becoming a better defender and a great player. The problem is just that the entire offense now relies on him and he might be fatigued a little later. (they're trying to turn Parsons into a point forward, we'll see how that goes) If he's on board, with Bev, Parsons and the Twin Towers, it could no doubt be the best defensive team in the league.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Defensive intensity correlates with offensive touches.

That's the only way it lasts beyond the regular season.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It works against some teams but any team with a PF that can hit a midrange shot or further is going to be trouble.

DD

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

thats the point. Even if its dirk or whoever doesnt matter. we want them shooting outside overall thats a low percentage. We OWN the inside. Why are you so negative on this issue? Come to the twin towers side and enjoy it for a second. We just brutalized dallas san antonio and memphis albeit preseason. No more time to develop Dmo or jones. There is still time to stop being stubborn about this and become a TT fan club member. Come on you know you want to join us.As one of the TT fan club members I welcome you.

7. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

If we clog the middle and close out the three point, that would leave the mid-range, the most inefficient shot available. We could just let them shoot all game long mid-range jumpers and gobble up all the rebounds. That's a recipe of success.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I don't know why this is even a question. We didn't lose any major piece from last year and added a DPOY in Howard. Is current result (albeit just a small glimpse) really surprising to anybody? It's not like we were expected to have a bad defense. Then you may say what they have displayed so far may be fool's gold or simply a fluke. But it's not the case.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. The other team will score. We just have to make the score as little as possible! We funnel them into one type of shot mid range and 3. Some nights we might get beat in spurts but even for 4 quarters.. I dont see it working out for the other team. Especially over the long haul. on top of that we are running and getting points in bunches. its just too much.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - I will cheer for my boys, but I believe that teams will be able to exploit it fairly easily as time goes by.

Dwight nor Asik should be out of the paint, I don't mind it as an occasional thing but not as a normal occurance.

We shall see.

DD

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

No.

Asik and Howard are two of the most mobile defensive bigs in the game. They'll have problems against teams playing small-ball lineups with four wings, but we saw last year that Omer can handle defending guys like LMA.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coventional thinking.
    Get enough out of Asik, trade him for a PF.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, when only of one of them is on the court. With both, you always have paint protection. I don't think there is an offense that would pull both of them out of the paint. That's a plus of TT. I'm not worry on the defense side as much as on the offense side with the ultra big line up.

And if Dwight can't keep up with a smaller speedy stretch 4, we simply go to our smaller line up.

14. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

What i dont get is how people dont fully understand the effectiveness of twin towers. We have the best post defence and best rebounding power with our starters. With that, we take out their option of driving and rebounding. Without rebounding they would feel less comfortable shooting the ball and would make them miss more; More pressure. And with the other three starters. They dont have to worry about people attacking the rim, meaning they can do their tighest defence and contest every shot.

If there is a way they can score please tell me but dont tell me by taking asim and howard out of the paint because thats stupid. Why would they go out and if that happens we can just play zone (i thought we were).

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I think you're underestimate how quickly Asik can move his feet. I'm very intrigued by this, even if one gets pulled away from the basket we've got another elite rim-protector just hovering around.

16. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Oh i forgot about that part, but problem is camby has not even played a.single minutr in preseason, we cant really gauge what he has left.

If camby was in prime dpoy form now, asik will be traded.

17. verysimplejason

Defense wins championships. Nothing has changed. TT all the way! :)

18. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

PFs like LMA?

Maybe, but then again, who is backing up LMA? You have the flexibility to go smaller against mobile 4s, and play the TT lineup against bigger 4s, or when you need to shut down the paint.

To me, the key is that the TT lineup WAS a success against certain other lineups (after the initial attempt), meaning that you can pick and choose as to when it is going to be implemented. I still think a trade will happen before the deadline, but if not I am OK with keeping Omer after seeing the SA and MEM games. Given time, this lineup could be really effective.

19. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

We aren't underestimating anything. Asik is a solid defender but against stretch 4's he doesn't stand a chance. If you think he does you have no clue what you are talking about. Stretch 4's are typically not only good at shooting 4's but can drive to the basket. Asik can't be guarding players out there on the perimeter.

The only way this type of lineup works is if we go against the likes of memphis or indiana.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

It seems like there aren't many great stretch 4s in this league. Dirk, Love, maybe Bosh? Several years ago, yes, there were many big men who shot threes. Not so much nowadays.(just top of my head, didn't do research or anything.

Sounds good!