1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all encompassing VR thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Mar 30, 2016.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Anyone purchase or looking forward to the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or PS VR?

The contenders;

Oculus Rift, $599
    [​IMG]

HTC Vive, $799
    [​IMG]

PS VR $399, but need to purchase PS Camera and Move controllers separately. They have a bundle with camera, controller and VR for $499
    [​IMG]

I preordered the PSVR because my PC (970 gtx and i7) might not be powerful enough to handle the Vive/Rift in all its glory and it's cheaper. The technology is fairly new and future iterations will definitely be better and more affordable. It's probably not at a price point where the mass market have to own one, but the enthusiasts have met the supply thus far.

I didn't buy into the 3D TV hype, but I think VR is here to stay. What I would like to see next is interactive holograms, via star trek or something similar to nerve gear from SOA. If anyone has any experience with these VR headsets, it would be interesting to hear your opinion. I find it encouraging that developers are excited about this tech and have ordered/preordered the headsets themselves.

For the ones who aren't really interested in VR, what price point would make you interested?

#1 chow_yun_fat, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

500 with haptic controllers seems like a good entry price.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I am actually more bullish on Hololens. VR limits itself as strictly an entertainment system, AR seems like it could fill a larger market.

Could be completely wrong, but thats my initial impression.

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Funny you should ask. I have a Samsung GearVR for my Galzxy S7 coming in on Thursday. I'm thinking of selling it. I have no need for it.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

seriously thought this was gonna be about 'Vivi Revived'

2 people like this.
  6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I also have a gear VR coming in, any cool apps or videos to check out with that? I'm gonna try the Netflix thing first

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This never gets old.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You left out the entry-level and VERY accessible Google Cardboard.

I picked up a Viewmaster VR for $20, and it's amazing to pop in your smartphone and have 360 VR. I know that it's a far cry from PC or Concole-based VR, but it's a viable sector given the cost.

[​IMG]

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I was entertained by my cardboard but then I got the Gear VR and it was like night and day difference. I haven't touched the cardboard since. Mine was refurbished, so got a good deal. If you can find one cheap and have a Samsung, i highly suggest it.

I want to get PSVR eventually since my computer sucks.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Locked & loaded.
    [​IMG]

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The real power of this will be when it can be combined with 360 degree video recording technology.

Imagine one of those cameras at the 50 yard line of the Superbowl, or your family reunion, or some other event that might be important to you.

Then years later, people can put on a headset and experience it like they were there.

As someone prone to motion sickness, this seems like a nightmare without any technical remedy.

12. Xerobull

You can use Google Cardboard with Google Street View. It's pretty neat.

I think Samsung is running a promo giving away the Gear VR with new phones. Don't know the details.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wanted one of those SO bad as a kid. Never got it.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Is that one of their April Fools jokes or a real thing?

15. Xerobull

Nope - you should try it out. Pretty amazing what you can do with your smartphone for a few bucks.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Too bad I'm a poor student, want this so bad.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We support all 3, about to be in the HTC VIVE press announcement - and we just got the new Oculus runtime 1.3 working so will be in their store too - even as we are an early access title that is mostly multiplayer until this summer where co-op and Single player will be put in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oAre1t0Tutc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DD

1 person likes this.
  18. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I just got a S7 Edge, anybody try the Samsung Gear VR worth the 100 ? i was reading some reviews and said the quality is ****ty.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was wanting the VIVE, but the Rift has a friendlier price tag to it.

Having spent quite a bit of time playing around with the DK2, with games on the PC etc.... I can't wait to get my hands on the higher res screens....go away screen door

20. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

I got it for free when I got the S7. The quality is in fact ****ty and content seems pretty limited. Games look better but there aren't that many and while videos look like 240p quality, the experience is pretty cool. I personally would not pay $100 for it though