1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peter Vecsey is a complete ass

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If you don't read this article and realize what a complete ego-driven prick Peter Vecsey is, then there's no helping you. It looks like Vecsey is a big-time web crawler, and had his ego hurt badly recently. <I>Extremely</I> bitter article.

<a href="http://www.nypost.com/sports/6457.htm">THERE'S NO DENYING 4-TEAM BLOCKBUSTER</a>

December 4, 2001 -- THOUGH not privy to all the particulars, sources continue to maintain (despite denials from all precincts) these are the major trade ingredients being discussed by four teams: Karl Malone to Dallas; Juwan Howard, Greg Buckner, a No. 1 pick, cash and more to Denver; Nick Van Exel and more to Golden State; Raef LaFrentz, Mookie Blaylock and Adonal Foyle or Danny Fortson (Marc Jackson is ineligible to be dealt until Jan. 19) to Utah.

Clearly, the Mavs (whose owner sparked the talks and persists in energizing them) and the Jazz have the most to gain in this scenario. Meaning, before any agreement can be reached, Mark Cuban - and Larry Miller, to a lesser degree - must find a way to upgrade their end of the package.

<B>Note to the NBA beat writers, TV typists and dot-com intellects who have no trustworthy sources of their own on this matter (most matters, in fact) but are quick to believe the belittlers (Dan Issel, for instance), and those who try to devalue the author, as if they don't have a transparent agenda:</B>

The translation of the above English text means, yes, there is on-going conversation. Yes, the Mavs think it'll get done. But, no, a deal has not been struck, verbally, spiritually or in sky writing.

Hopefully we're clear on this before the above-demeaned again manipulate a message found in this space and/or completely distort the sense of it (as NBA.com accomplished regarding last week's Jalen Rose prose) by creating a sensational headline (changing the Post's "Rose Is A Thorny Issue For Isiah" to "Rose Is Unhappy In Indiana").

Naturally, when Rose (in deep denial, I might add) was asked about the story, the provocateurs detonated the loaded question, "Are you really unhappy in Indiana?"

This is our wonderfully professional business of sports journalism; those who get beat on a story scramble in many directions. Some ignore the story (if allowed by their editors) as long as possible, praying it'll go away.

Others, like The Unwise Man, attempt to diminish or disgrace it. Which reminds me, <B>would someone at the NBA please send an updated roster of all 29 teams to The New York Times, care of The Unwise Man; Olden Polynice is not a member of the Jazz. Hasn't been since last season. He's unemployed.</B>

<B>Still others concoct a new element, or actually do the homework and advance the story a smidgen. Consequently, they figure, in their warped world that makes the story theirs.</B>

As for Issel, according to one report, the Nuggets' red nosed coach "smirked" when the subject of Van Exel possibly being traded was broached.

"He [Vecsey] has no credibility with me."

So, there! That proves my 35 years of covering basketball haven't been in vain.

Meanwhile, when Issel came to work at NBC several years ago, guess who he approached for help? And when he quit (fired?) the Nuggets years back and was doing a Denver radio show, guess who he unsuccessfully tried to enlist as an ally against former boss Bernie Bickerstaff?

<B>Talk about a no-account, incompetent, lazy fraud . . . oh, I'm sorry, I guess I just did.</B>

<B>Lousy coach</B>; never to be seen on the sidelines again after this season.

<B>Terrible GM</B>; my calculator can't compute how much money he squandered on stiffs. Evidently owner E. Stanley Kroenke did do the math when he purchased the team, which explains the off-season hiring of Kiki Vandeweghe.

And a <B>pretend president</B>; wonder how many recounts it took to get him that job?

Hey, Dan, at least if I called a practice there's a chance my players would show up.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LOL...when I read your title!

The question is this one: is there anybody out there that likes this guy other than his family and relatives?

It's funny that the 2 most obnoxious sportswriters, IMO, are him and Mike Lupica, who also writes for a New York paper.

Yea, Dan Issel is a jerk....everyone knows that. The thing that I can't stand about Vecsey is that he either tells things that are obvious like that Issel is a jerk or he comes up with these wild trade rumours.

The guy is not a good sportswriter, and I figured out long ago that he would rather be hated than respected. Hell, I think he actually enjoys being hated!

3. Live

Live Member

Manny Ramirez & Clutch: 1

Vescey: 0

BTW, anyone notice how the TNT\TBS crew has so much more fun when Barkley is in studio instead of 'Ol' Throw it Against the Wall...'.

Pete just better hope TNT\TBS doesn't choose between the 2.

#3 Live, Dec 4, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2001
  4. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I do find it funny that he ripped Issel a new one though. :D

5. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

CLUTCH - HELL YEAH. great post.

i wrote a similar thing on our board before readings yours. little would i know that a rocket fan would have read the article the same way i did. i am thoroughly impressed.

this is what i wrote after reading that garbage:

the dude makes a FOOL out of himself on NATIONAL TV. he blatantly says a 4 way deal could happen...the next day he is SHUT DOWN BAD by at least 2 of the 4 teams.

the nuggets GM and PRESIDENT went as far as to say "NO IT WONT HAPPEN" and "VESCEY IS WRONG" (or something to that effect) - totally ripping vescey. i mean you cant be more wrong with a 'rumor' that with the actual GM saying "NO, you are wrong"

so look what he writes today to cover his ass...

http://www.nypost.com/sports/6457.htm

basically, like a little child, starts making fun of this team, issel and kiki. its like we hurt his whittle feewings. that b****. just immature little childish jokes, which have NOTHING to do with the trade rumor that we denied (fruad, lousy coach, terrible gm, players not showing up).

seriously...reading this makes it look like vescey was crying while typing. just wanting to get any revenge for his own idiocy. saying in his head "OH YEAH...well ill show you!" the whole time.

especially the 'players not showing up part' - how pathetic is that?! seriously, the only way that could have been more clear is as if he actually wrote "at least my dad can beat up your dad! you dork!"

vecsey ; you were wrong. you blew it. you messed up. DEAL WITH IT *******.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Looks like he's taking pointers from one of our inside sources.

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

he hehe ehehehheheh he aaaaa heheheh

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I didn't need to read that article to know Vescey was an ass but my god he just took it to another level completely! What a completely immature, childish tantrum! Poor baby got his feelings hurt just because his trade was shot down completely by half the teams involved! AWWWW!!!! I'm surprised he didn't go after Cuban since he's taken numerous personal shots at him. It's literally a case of a small man thinking he's bigger then what he really is. It's embarrassing to read his articles. It's funny how when he's in a studio a dark cloud just descends on the place. I'll never forget a few years ago during the playoffs, I think it was the Finals, when they were at courtside with Hanna Storm and some other broadcasters when he tried to bring up a potential trade his "sources" told him and he kept screwing up and crossing I'm assuming other lies he was going to mention and named about 8 other teams and to this day I don't have a clue WHAT trade he was talking about. I guess when you have half a trillion lies floating around in your head they're bound to cross each other.

9. haven

haven Member

Peter Vescey could get better information by browsing the ccnet archives :).

..."According to one source, codename Oeilpere..."

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I thought that reporters had thick skin. It seems that Vecsey is wearing his emotions on his sleeve. I guess that, in his rush to report what he believes he knows, he forgot about how easy it is for any multi team deal to fall apart. I don't doubt that some deal was being discussed involving Malone/Howard/LaFrentz, but the logistics of moving 2 high dollar contracts (Malone@ $17.5 mill & Howard@ $18.75 mill) without gutting a team would be extremely difficult.

As for the GM's & coaches (Issel in particular) denying that trade discussions are on going, I don't believe them either. Of course they're going to deny it until all the details have been worked out. I can believe that the meat of his report is possible, but the part where he's saying that Denver is going to give up LaFrentz & Van Excel for Howard, Buckner (WHAT?), a #1 pick & others, is where he loses me. The "others" part would have to be pretty good. If Denver were to do something that stupid, it'd definitely qualify both Issel & Vandeweghe as stupidest management team of the year. Correction: of the Millenium.

11. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

I'm actually a bit surprised the sports editor let this one fly. It is so immature and ridiculous that some of the poo scent might contaminate the NY Post and give it a bad name.

Way to be Pete. You da man... snicker....

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

After all that and he misses his opportunity to make a classless punk comment about Kiki's new Special Helper.

What a wasted opportunity.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Clutch,

Shouldn't Vescey articles be in the Hangout Forum? Vecsey rivals many of the great soap opera writers of our time.

Not that I could be a better sports writer, but atleast I don't pretend to be one.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I wonder if any of his "sources" feed him false info just to see the idiot run to the nearest typewriter so he can give his "inside info" to the world. I can see those "sources" sitting back and laughing their asses off at this one.

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He is a big web crawler. I have his IM and he's always on...

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

What's his IM name? I'm sure no one here would IM him... ;)

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What an *******! I couldn't believe the writing until I read it from the page itself... It wouldnt be the first time he stuffed his foot in his mouth...

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Vecsey is REALLY going overboard.... I think the Internet is driving him nuts how badly he is disdained and disrespected throughout. Must have been an eye-opener for him....

http://www.nypost.com/sports/8537.htm

<I>Reports from <B>.com rewrite dummy</B> Chad Ford that Clippers are shopping Lamar Odom is <B>like the rest of the stuff he dreams up in print</B>. No, owner Donald Sterling or anyway else associated with the team, was happy about his mar1juana relapse, but "he's our best overall player and he's not going anywhere," states Andy Roeser. L.A.'s executive VP refutes another counterfeit tale being circulated by the above Edsel. "Jeff McInnis has not demanded to be traded."</I>

Total ass.

19. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Damn, Chad Ford's usually pretty reliable too. I've gotten info from him (through a third person) before, and it usually was right on.

Vecsey is a joke. Always has been, always will be.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So right, he <B>really</B> is. He just likes to write like he is the only one in the world in the know regarding the NBA. I've read quotes where he TOTALLY blasted other writers, like Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News (rival paper to the NY Post) and David Aldridge (OK, this can slide). To blast Chad is pretty ridiculous.... I haven't spoken to him in a while but we used to talk a lot back when he did sportstalk. Good guy...