1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2010.

1. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

You have got to give Foster a shot, he showed enough towards the end of the season in BIG games to go into camp as the #1 or #2 back as of right now. That would be crucial in terms of draft preparations as we wouldn't have to spend a 1st or a 2nd on a running back.

Our most pressing needs that need to be addressed in terms of the draft IMO would be a 1st on a corner/safety (hopefully Joe Haden slips, doubt it though), 2nd on an interior offensive lineman (preferrably center). Here's the problem with that, looking at the multiple mocks out there around the 19th-20th pick is nothing but linebackers, DT's, and tackles. The two corners I've seen go in the first are Joe Haden (top 10) and FSU Patrick Robinson (late first). One guy that stands out to me that could be a 3rd/4th round guy:

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: He reminds me of, dare I say, Cortland Finnegan. Fiery competitor that doesn't back down from the guy he's standing across

Now in terms of the Safety position: Two guys are projected to be around our area:

1) Early Thomas, S, UT. He would fit perfectly with us, rangy safety that would give us a playmaker in coverage. Perfect fit with Bernard who is dynamite in the run game

2) Taylor Mays, S, USC. Not sold on him. I keep hearing the Roy Williams tag which is basically Bernard Pollard. He would provide an even heavier boost in the run game but our last lines of defense against the pass would be scary to think about.

Another thing about this draft that is very apparent is the depth at Defensive Tackle, hearing even "Deepest Interior Defensive Line Draft in Years". This could be something would could look at, maybe a trade down if our guys aren't there at our 1st round pick, but with the erractic learning curve (Amobi) there is at this position I would rather address this spot with a veteran (pipedream Casey Hampton). We are at the cusp, we need guys that can contribute IMMEDIATELY.

FREE AGENCY:

We have one franchise tag and a three headed free agent monster: Owen Daniels, Demeco Ryans, Bernard Pollard. Losing any one of these guys IMO would be steps back. I know some of you have alot of confidence in Dressen and Casey but Owen is a Pro Bowler. Dressen was nice at times but other times he wasn't as sure-handed and wasn't that elite safety valve that Daniels provides. Casey is still unproven and Hill is more a blocking/swine flu type TE
    Best case scenario: Re-Sign all three of these guys on your own.
    Next Best case scenario: Re-sign 2 of them on your own and franchise the third.
    Any scenario that involves us losing one of them again would be a major step back and could be dangerous to our team not making the playoffs. Again we are at the cusp and this is an offseason of adding playmakers and building depth not the other way around.

Kevin Walter is a guy I would like to see back but Jacoby has really impressed me this season, he is maturing and seems to be primed to take the next step.

Bring Dunta back for a REASONABLE contract. Corner is not a position you want to lose depth at, and if Dunta gets a clue of how bad he is, a cheap contract could be lose risk/high reward if he gains some of his old self back after being more than a year removed from his injury. There are some intriguing free agent corners though: (Descriptions are from www.footballsfuture.com)

1) Carlos Rogers, Washington, Rogers is a good cover corner and in the league’s top 10. He does a nice job of contesting passes and is rarely caught completely out of position.

2) Tramon Williams, Green Bay. As Williams earns a reputation in the league and learns to use more subtle contact downfield, he could develop into one of the top-end corners in the league

3) Marlin Jackson, Indy

SAFETIES

Once Eugene went down we saw an ugly carousel of players that tried to fill his position (Barber, Busing, and Russel) It is obvious we need depth and/or an upgrade that can slide Wilson to the second team.

1) Nick Collins, Green Bay, the former second-round selection from Bethune-Cookman plays a very unique game. Collins isn’t always in the exact right position and plays aggressively in coverage, but has elite recovery speed

2) O.J. Atogwe, Rams
    3) Ryan Clark, Pittsburg

As you can tell, I feel the secondary is a very glaring need. Watching one half of starting corners get burned all year (Bennett first, Robinson second) how we play here can hold us back against pass happy teams (INDY!!). I like Quinn and adding a top flight guy through the draft and/or free agency would give us a scary, scary, scaryyyyyyy defense with playmakers littered all over the place. Again we are at that cusp, with our nice foundation, adding more chips and bullets will make us a dangerous team to reckon with.

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Allow me to explain why Smith needs to be moved.

1) he is overpaid based on his 5 yr $35 mil contract. At that price range one can do better than "above average" DE.

2) We have his replacement Connor Barwin is eager to prove himself for a fraction of the cost.

I just think with Barwin emerging next year, we have the flexibility to trade Smith while he still holds value. I would package him with Dunta for an upgrade at DT or Safety plus a pick or two.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

not to mention Smith had an unbelievable amount of penalties

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You don't know what you are talking about. Seriously. You are wrong about Smith's performance. You are wrong about his relative salary compared to other starting defensive ends in the NFL. You are wrong about Barwin's role. You are wrong if you think an NFL team only needs two defensive ends. Finally, you have no concept of how teams in the NFL make trades. When is the last time a free agent cornerback was packaged with a defensive end? You want to know when? NEVER.

1 person likes this.
  5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Smith played great towards the end of the year where he started to get alot of penetration, I was rewatching the Patriots game today and it was him who knifed through their O-line and made the initial hit to cause that fumble/touchdown.

Barwin is still one-dimensional. His skills are pass rushing and he's just too green against the run to be counted upon heavily throughout a game. Your putting alot of eggs in one basket if you expect to go into next season, the season where its playoffs or bust (who's heard that one before), with Barwin making great strides against the run in just one off season

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Keep arguing on techincal grounds still doesn't change the fact that Smith is getting paid Top 10 money while his prodection is outside of top 25. In short keep defending the garbage GM that is Rick Smith. Oh yeah the trade suggestion wasn't neccessarily both Smith and Dunta in the same deal. But it would nice to get rid the two overpriced non performers. As for the Barwin idea, I meant he could easily replace Smith's production if given the starting role, 26 tackles and 4 sacks aren't a monumental feat. Also when did I ever say we needed only 2 DE? You can have as many as you on the roster via draft or free agency but none should be as overpaid as Smith. If you are happy with mediocrity then fine good for you but I can stand the sight of our GM pulling crap through his anus avd telling us it's solid gold. Smith should have never been signed for that price. Dunta should have been traded in week 3 and Demeco should have Bern taken care of considering he among the few pro bowlers we have on our team.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Smith is overpaid, but thats pretty much the rub with all FA pickups.

However, he is a solid contributor and he's not going anywhere.

#87 DonnyMost, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. msn

msn Member

...stopped reading here. laughing... too... hard...

what a stupid, stupid, idiotic take.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Why are people sold on Foster? Well, he was projected to go in the first or second round if he had came out his junior year, but he stayed another year at Tennessee. Foster had more than one big game. We also had the Miami game. He would have did better in St. Louis, too, but Kubiak pulled him after one fumble.

And just look at the way Foster runs. He runs downhill and is protecting the ball very well. Just like you could tell Slaton was going to be good after that one preseason game against the Cowboys last year, Foster will be, too.

And Foster is 23. Normal age for rookies really (22 or 23).

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

A little self-pwnage? What does package usually mean? Putting the two together!

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, he's not getting paid as a top 10 DE, he's getting paid as #23...basically matching his production using your number of near/outside the top 25...
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=148

So...any other points you want to wrongly throw out there?

11. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

With no CBA in place, none of the above will become UFA except Ryan Clark.

You have to be in the league 6 years

12. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

IIRC, Smith was paid 15.5million of his 24 guaranteed last year, so I don't think he cost us much to keep him from this point on.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ghettocheese, I suggest you either watch football (instead of looking at box scores for Smith)....or at least understand that Smith isn't getting paid as much as you think he's getting paid.

During the last half of the season, he definitely stepped it up and was earning his contract. If he can keep up that production for a whole season, he'd be a nice asset.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wish list

RB
    OG
    C
    WR- More of a game changer type at the #2 spot
    DT
    DE- A legit hell raiser to go on the other side of Mario
    CB- Probably 2
    FS- Bushing and Barber are horrible
    Pk- Was the worst place kicker in the league this yr

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

We need a running back, not by draft. I rather have a FA.

Fred Jackson (best option)
    Willis McGahee
    Jerome Harrison

16. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Mcgahee is not a free agent, he signed a 7 year deal in 2007

Jackson and Harrison will be RFA's and would probably be resigned by their teams.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Pierre Thomas (who is going to be a FA) would do wonders for your team, although personally.. I would not give up on Slaton.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

He has the size we need.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because he is 2" taller?

Pierre Thomas | #23 | RB

New Orleans Saints

Height: 5-11 Weight: 215 Age: 25

Born: 12/18/1984 Chicago , IL

College: Illinois

Experience: 3rd season

High School: Thornton Fractional South HS [Lansing, IL]

Steve Slaton | #20 | RB

Houston Texans | Official Team Site

Height: 5-9 Weight: 215 Age: 24

Born: 1/4/1986 Levittown , PA

College: West Virginia

Experience: 2nd season

High School: Conwell-Egan HS [Fairless Hills, PA]

20. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Antonio Smith easily ended up being the most consistent player on the D-Line. Hell he single handedly caused two fumbles in the end zone this season (OAK and NE). Overall, he's probably the best big money FA the Texans have ever gotten.

1 person likes this.