1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Member

Anyone Interested in some UM Footballs?

2. Landlord Landry

Patrick Surtain anyone?

he's probably at least better than Reeves.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Eh, I doubt it. Surtain is pretty old.

I'm willing to give Reeves another half a season to get it together. He's got the talent, just needs the coaching. And he made some nice picks last season, something we desperately need.

Between Reeves, Bennett, and Moldin I hope at least two of those guys step up to give us three legit corners.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Reeves isn't a bad CB. Sure, as a top of the line guy he's below average, but assuming Dunta comes back fully healthy, he's more than capable of being a solid No. 2/3 corner, depending on Bennett's development.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6132948.html

I agree with DHR -- I'm intrigued by Reeves because he seems a player where solid coaching could make a lot of difference. He's not a bad player now -- he's average -- but he has the potential to be very good if he made more plays on the ball. From an athletic standpoint, he stays with receivers quite well, and that's the element you (mostly) can't coach.

I'd imagine the priority areas for FA are safety, defensive line, OLB, RB (bigger), QB (backup) and maybe an extra offensive lineman, depending on the price.

5. conquistador#11

in the past, how many players wanted to be a texan? derek ward is one of those the drools at possibility of playing behind gibb's legendary scheme. I think we should make his wish come true. slaton and ward :eek: I think it's worth the money. we've done worst in the past.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. We shouldn't forget how well Bennett played for us his rookie season when he had Dunta on the otherside. I think Bennett will be much improved with a healthy Dunta back.

Reeves wasn't too bad for us last season, he had some nice picks but also had a lot of trouble covering. My biggest concern about Reeves is that covering has always been his weakness, it was his weakness in Dallas and it was the same last season.

I'm really hoping Jenkins falls to us at #15 and we stick him at FS. He didn't perform that great at the combine which gives us a shot, but I really don't see the Saints passing on him unless Vontae Davis is the pick.

7. AkeemTheDreem86

I don't know if this deserves its own thread or what, but ESPN is reporting that the Bucs are expected to release:

LB Derrick Brooks
    WR Joey Galloway
    RB Warrick Dunn
    WR Ike Hilliard
    LB Cato June

Any chance the Texans have of signing any of those guys, particularly a linebacker? I think Derrick Brooks still has a little left in the tank, and last time I checked Cato June was pretty sweet.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i tend to agree; it'd be one thing if he was consistently out of place and getting beat. but he's often right where he should be, he just fails to get his head turned and/or make a play on the ball.

but then i remember: this'll be, i believe, the fourth defensive regime (parcells, phillips (??), smith and now bush) that, if they could just get reeves to do this or that.......

(PS i don't want surtain, either; i'm fine if reeves is our 2nd option; finer if he's our nickeback)

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Didn't Reeves play a lot of zone with the Cowboys? If so, I could see that being a plausible explanation for some of his awkward moments in his first year of consistent NFL man-to-man, especially with all the other defensive issues the Texans/Smith had to focus on last season.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i have no idea, though that sounds familiar. he's also playing here with a subpar pass rush and... mediocre-ish safeties. i'm not down on the guy at all (though i'm not his biggest fan, either) - but at some point, the potential has to be realized. this will be his 6th year in the league - i mean, he's not a 22-year old rookie. he's had at least 3 defensive coordinators, and the knock on him coming here was that he struggled to play the ball (which i think is more instinctual that coachable).

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What they need to do is install some sort of servo-motor in his helmet that is activated remotely with a push button that the DBs coach holds. Just tell Reeves to run with his man, and when the ball is thrown they can push the button, which will jerk his head up and around so he will know to look for the ball. Of course, it could also potentially break his neck, but there's always risks.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That was a big deal with him coming here, saying how he liked to play on the line better. Apparently in Dallas they were playing him off the line in more of a cover-2 type coverage I guess. That's why we gave him such a generous contract, because they thought he'd flourish in our type of coverage. This will be a big year for him.

There may be a small chance, but I think they'll look to draft one first and if that doesn't work out and one of these guys is still available come May/June they'll look into signing them for cheap. I doubt they'll spend much money on them, because those guys will want to start, and I think the Texans would rather bring in a rookie to compete with Diles and Adibi.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

anyone check out the sporting news picks for the texans' top 5 free agent targets:

1. ron bartell, cb rams
    2. antonio smith, de cards (also mentioned bertrand berry)
    3. michael boly, lb falcons
    4. jovan haye, dt bucs
    5. derrick ward, rb giants

it mentioned that ward has expressed interest in playing here, but they're not sure he wants to go to another backup role. of course, most teams are using two backs and he'd be a perfect counter punch from slaton. #2 and #5 would make rm95 very happy.

sorry, no link...i read it in that e-zine that gets delivered to my inbox every morning.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ive also read that Antonio Smith is a target of the Texans...Depending on the price, I'd be up for that.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

he's in town today.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like Antonio Smith and Jabari Greer.

Then, in the first round, I say you draft the best player(other than a qb or running back) available.

18. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Re-signed one of the TE's

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9274304

The Houston Texans signed tight end Joel Dreessen to a three-year, $3.6 million contract extension, a source told FOXSports.com.
    Dreessen caught 11 passes for 77 yards last season as the backup for Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels. Dreessen also made three starts in two tight-end sets and is a core member of Houston's special teams unit.

Dreessen, 26, was a restricted free agent who has spent the past two seasons with the Texans. He was a 2006 sixth-round pick of the New York Jets.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

can't see Ward coming here given the teams interested who will offer bigger roles to him.. but man would I love that!

20. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Dreessen is a nice role player for us. It's good to see him back :)