1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 2, 2014.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

Keuchel, McHugh, Oberholtzer as our 3/4/5 of the future could be nice. Keuchel, McHugh as 4/5 of the future would be even nicer.

Stud FA/Appel/2015 1st rounder, Keuchel, McHugh in 2017. Dirty.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

I view Singleton almost as a bonus at this point. There's no longer a necessity for him to be a stud. It would be mighty nice, but he no longer has much bearing on our future outlook.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No, I was not being sarcastic. And no, I don't pay attention to a media induced sense of rivalry either. But seeing a Dallas team fail is always a bright spot for many a Houston fan, regardless of sport. And after a 2-17 clip against the Rangers only last year, a series win this year should be a satisfying affair for Astros fans.

Your reaction is a little puzzling to me. Perhaps you carry a lot of baggage from the Selig conspiracy? OK. That stunk. But at the expense of a sour grapes attitude in beating a division opponent?

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

That's all they are to me: another division opponent. And one who sucks something fierce this year.

The Angels had the best record in baseball, the Rangers have the worst. Take Selig's forced, formerly non-existent rivalry out of the picture, and the weights of beating the two aren't really comparable.

That's how I will always look at it, at least. Like I said off the bat though, to each his own.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If we win the season series vs the Angels, yes, that will top winning the season series vs the Rangers, certainly. Don't see that happening though.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because of Carter's development you mean?

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think you have to re-sign Fowler.

Premier lead off hitter. Gets on base an absurd amount it seems like.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's a great leadoff hitter... I actually like it when he actually leads off (but I presume its because Springer is still out, hence why Grossman is filling in for now).

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Primarily. In addition to some other spots in the lineup looking stronger than anticipated (Altuve included), some good looking potential 1B's drafted this year (early, I know), etc.

Just feels like about a year or so ago at this time, a large percentage of future hopes hinged on him becoming a stud.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's still under control for 2015.

11. MadMax

Given that we signed him for a while, I hope he figures it out.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but its his free agent year.

I'd say the Astros chances of re-signing him once he hits the open market may not only be less, but his price becomes that much higher with another good year.

If he hints at not wanting to sign an extension this off-season, I say there's a good chance they move him. Hell, they can always sign him as a free agent after that (if they really want to keep him, and he ultimately wants to stay).

13. tmacfor35

Is this the year that we actually go out and acquire a big time FA?

One pitcher and one hitter.

This team should be playoff bound.

Fowler
    Altuve
    Springer
    Carter
    FA

Add a quality starter and this team will fighting for the wildcard spot next year.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I hope so and there could likely be a trade as well using some of the depth in the system. Still have a wave of talent to come like Appel, Correa, Ruiz, Moran, LMJ, Hader, VV on and on. Not to mention two top 5 picks in the next draft!

15. tmacfor35

True, but if you can maximize this teams potential by taking advantage of your salary cap space than you have to do it.

This is a 500 ball club right now.

I think 100 plus games is a big enough sample size to say so.

I don't really understand how Lunhow could have axed Porter with a straight face, but its a past issue now.

16. juicystream

I didn't realize he was only 28. He's exactly 2 weeks younger than me. I figured he was 30.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Yeah bc a Houston/Dallas rivalry is way more contrived than Houston/Chicago/st. Louis/Atlanta etc etc

:rollseye

18. juicystream

It isn't about the cities, but rather the teams.

Astros & Rangers is contrived.

Astros & Cardinals or Astros & Braves were naturally created through division & playoff battles.

That doesn't mean Astros/Rangers won't be a great rivalry one day, it just isn't much of one today. I'd have never called the Mavs a rival until we met in the playoffs. Similar can be said about the Rangers.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why didn't MLB try to get Pittsburgh and Philly in the same division?

Why didn't MLB try to get the Mets and the Yankees in the same division?

Why didn't MLB try to get the Cardinals and Royals in the same division?

Why didn't MLB try to get the A's and Giants in the same division?

Astros-Rangers is about as big of a rivalry as Texans-Cowboys. It doesn't really exist.

2 people like this.
  20. MadMax

I agree, and yet I still hate both of those teams. I don't think Astros/Rangers will take very long to simmer.