1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 2, 2014.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And our shaky bullpen delivered. Props to what-his-name for building a better bullpen for the 2014 season.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When your starter goes 7.2, you don't need the shaky part of our bullpen. Getting Sipp & Veras during the season has been the difference. They've stepped up and filled the void of Crain & Albers.

3. No Worries

Like I said, props to what-his-name.

61 wins. How sweet it is.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Veras has posted a 2.14 ERA over his past 21 innings. Pretty impressive. You have got to think that he will be willing to sign any contract to stay in Houston next season. A Qualls, Veras, Sipp bullpen isn't terrible and you would think the team would reconsider signing Crain or Albers at a discounted "bounce back" rate. I just wonder what Folty will be used as next season.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

It's so rewarding to have watched Carter and his struggles and his turn into this monster. For the post steroid era, he is must watch baseball when he is at the plate. Such a pretty swing.

6. juicystream

Crain will have to take a minor league deal, and I think it is very likely we see him sign that type of deal with us.

Albers is more difficult because he was healthy before, and pitched well when healthy this year. I'm guessing he gets a 1 year major league deal, but I'd be open to bringing him back for a low salary.

I'd guess we bring back:

Keuchel
    McHugh
    Oberholtzer

I think Nick Tropeano deserves a rotation spot going into next season, as long as he pitches well in ST. If Feldman isn't traded, he'll obviously be in the rotation, so I think Folty will either be in the pen, or back in AAA.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I cannot see Feldman in AAA. He would be traded for bad value before that would happen. I could see us using him in relief if all isn't well.

Tropeano deserves a chance to earn that spot, and I agree that we can pencil in the three you listed... but I really do see Feldman being a starter for the immediate future. I think the best case scenario is that Feldman is moved in the off season.

Crain to me is the toss up. I would think that a guy with his history could get a major league deal somewhere for a million. Albers should land somewhere. I could see both taking smaller deals with us and hope that's the case.

8. juicystream

I said Folty in AAA or pen. Feldman is traded (which I consider likely) or in rotation.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Angels were just swept by a minor league team that is 48-52 in their last 100 games. A team that includes two players that will be the batting/hits leader and one of, if not the AL leader in HRs. Disgraceful.

10. No Worries

As a point of reference, at the start of 2014 spring training Oberholtzer was a lock for the starting rotation, but yoyo-ed back and forth from AAA.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Astros in the outfield.

12. No Worries

Angel manager, Mike Scioscia, might get fired! Other managers have been fired for less.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sweeping the Angels was almost as satisfying as taking the silver boot from the Rangers.

14. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

No love for Peacock being in the starting rotation next? I know the forum doesn't like him, but he has shown time and again he has the stuff, just needs to be consistent.

Keuchel
    McHugh
    Feldman
    Oberholtzer
    Peacock/A. White/A. Woj???

And don't sleep on Fields developing more to really anchor the bullpen.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Having the stuff without the consistency is basically worthless. You don't get to the major league level period without the former. And you don't stay long without the later.

He has been better lately though.

16. juicystream

He's consistently shown he's not consistent.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Bagwell lead the league in homers during the strike shortened year?

18. juicystream

Matt Williams led the league in 1994.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

To each their own, but I beg all of you to never acknowledge or give credence to the contrived bullcrap of the Rangers/Astros as a real rivalry.

And, Mr. Carter, I will continue to apologize to you for past outbursts of negativity towards you until my dying day, if need be. Truly mindblowing.

And Mr. McHugh: Filthy.

Carter, McHugh, and Keuchel are absolute monster denominations of "found money" this year. Our future contender roster is beginning to finally be carved out. That bright light off in the distance has become considerably brighter and closer this year.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If they can continue to play like this while taking into account Altuve and Springer (and hope for improvement from Singleton), this is exactly right.