1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nutrition/Excercise Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by trueroxfan, Sep 17, 2012.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Good day all,

So I just turned 25 yesterday and I have been putting off getting back in shape and eating healthy for a long time. So I have decided that it's time to grow up. I am giving up green/caffeine, starting to work out again, and for the first time I am going on a healthy diet. When I say the first time, I mean literally I have never eaten healthy, at least not since I was maybe 15 and my mom prepared family/healthy meals.

So today I am starting p90x again (did it the first week 3 separate times in college), and tomorrow I am starting my diet (can't go to the grocery store till tomorrow). I am not doing the complete p90 nutrition plan, but I am using it as a guide for what to buy at the store.

My question to all of you is, do you have any tips on habits, eating times, snacks, ways to suppress/distract myself from cravings.

I weigh 205lbs, I am just under 6'.

Also, for those of you who have done p90, my ceilings are too low for my pull up bar, any alternative suggestions besides bands?

I don't really have a weight goal, I just want to feel better, as I have been eating a study diet of Whataburger/Taco Bell/Wendy's for the last 6 years...

Much appreciated,

TR

2. Classic

Classic Member

What time of the day are you going to do P90X?

1 person likes this.
  3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

When are you working out? Morning or evening? That matters.

I work out in the morning. Egg whites for breakfast - I usually use onions, turkey bacon, and salsa. (high protein, low calories) Plus some fruit. (apple or banana usually)

After workout, I usually have fruit, a protein shake and make myself sweet potato fries. (good carbs) Avoid all fats after a workout, try to eat twice as many carbs as proteins post workout.

Other food suggestions:
    - oatmeal or better yet quinoia (good carbs)
    - chicken (good protein and pretty versatile)
    - fish, especially white fish (good protein and very good for you if you like it)
    - raw almonds/cashews (good snacks with protein and good fats)
    - avocados (good fats)
    - anything green or fresh vegetables (keep carrots, broccoli, etc around for snacks)
    - go easy on starchy foods
    - (optional) go easy on dairy (this one is controversial, but I've been doing it and having great success)

In general, shop for food on the edges of the grocery store. (produce, meats, etc) Avoid stuff in boxes.

One thing to remember. If you eat good, clean food, you don't have to worry so much about eating "less" food. Since I've started eating this way, I've lost over 25 pounds.

1 person likes this.
  4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Best of luck.

I have been dieting myself for the past few weeks. Same situation as you; I don't have a weight goal, I simply wanted to feel better. It hasn't been that bad, but I've been dieting and doing cardio, nothing ridiculous like p90x. I've lost about 15 pounds, but I've been a little relaxed on the diet for the last week or so. I guess I'm in the "sustaining your weight" stage now as I am happy with where I'm at for now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I too am doing p90x currently. Last time I did I got all the way to day 70ish.

For pullups I don't know what to say.

For diet try to follow the diet plan, you won;t have alot of gain unless you follow it well. When you are craving a snack like some chips or something, eat a piece of fruit.

If you really are not in shape I highly recommend you do Power 90 first But if you really want to do it "Just do your best, forget the rest

1 person likes this.
  6. KingHRockets

KingHRockets Member

I like to start off a good diet program with a 1 day fast. Gets me used to feeling hungry, I don't craving food as much and i eat much less with no problem after the fast. Some studies suggest intermittent fasting can be beneficial to health.

On a serendipitous note, I'm actually starting p90x today, and my 25th birthday is in a couple of days. I have a lot of free time on my hands for the next couple of months so Im combining Insanity + p90x. Insanity in the morning, p90x at night. I used to workout regularly but have gained a lot of weight recently so im going on a hardcore plan to get ready for summer 2013 :p.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cut out processed foods, and that includes most packaged food.

1 person likes this.
  8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I was hoping to do it right after work at 6. I COULD do it in the morning, but I would prefer not to cuz I don't want to get up any earlier.

That is insane man! Good luck and happy birthday. I did the first week of p90 in college at least 3 times. My problem has always been that I love playing basketball, and I hate feeling sore to the point I can't hoop. Lately though I have lost the urge to play because I have felt myself become so super slow that I am not effective anywhere besides the block.

I figure at the very least this is a test of my will power and strength. I want to prove to myself that I CAN eat right and be healthy.

Are sandwich meats processed? Is it worth getting the fresh deli meat, or will the Deli Fresh or whatever work just as fine. Also, what sandwich meat should I buy? Ham, Turkey, Chicken, Pastrami, etc...

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Also, as far the pull up bar, I am looking for something that stands under 6 ft. My ceilings are like 8 ft tall. So I will have to use something shorter than my height probable and just pull my legs up. Do they sell these things anywhere?

10. blink

blink Contributing Member

Being healthy is easy. Getting in shape is easy. Its the first month thats hard and it has more to do with breaking bad habits than it is about eating right or working out. If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than your body needs. Eat more protein and carbs and less fat, really pay attention to the labels. Work out 2-3 times a week. Even if its a wussy workout that youre only in the gym for 15min, it helps and it keeps you motivated. Consistency is king. I work in healthcare and see super athlete doctors. If they have time to hit the gym and eat right, so do you.

1 person likes this.
  11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

You said to pay attention to labels. What specifically should I keep an eye out for?

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This is really bad advice for someone who might not know a lot about nutrition. "Eat less calories" isn't really the right approach and it's hard to know how many your body actually needs if you are working out. If all of your calories come from subway sandwiches and processed foods, that's still not healthy.

My advice is to focus on lean meats, veggies (stick to fresh and frozen), fruits (raw), and nuts as your go-to foods. And try to gradually decrease your consumption of sweets/junk foods -- if you try to do it all at once, you'll just end up craving them and going back. Just eat them in moderation. Also, have a burger and fries or something as a cheat meal every once in a while.

Make it a gradual lifestyle change, not a crash diet.

1 person likes this.
  13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Gotcha, thanks.

As far as breakfast, what is a good breakfast. Do I really need to cut out the yokes when I have eggs? I feel like I will be buying a dozen eggs every 2 or 3 days.

And for snacks, so come January, my job gets very crazy and busy. I will be working 15+ hour days. I want to have snacks in my desk since I won't be able to leave for hours at a time. What are some good choices? I hear soy nuts, pecans, walnuts, and other nuts are good. Anything else? We have a refrigerator so I can also keep things that need to be kept cool.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Don't eat sandwich meats. In fact, just don't eat sandwiches. Eat chicken, fish, lean red meat, etc.....Basically you want most of your carbs to come before your workout and after. The further the meal is from your workout, the less carbs you want.

Are you referring to the pull up tower? Just get the bar that anchors to the door frame.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't eat eggs everyday (usually eat plain oatmeal with a cut up banana in it) but I'm not anal about cutting out the yolks. All things considered they're not really bad for you as long as you're eating right otherwise, IMO. But you could always buy the liquid egg whites if you don't want to go through the hassle of buying actual eggs.

17. blink

blink Contributing Member

don't go on a diet. this is a lifestyle change/choice. it's easy to figure out what your body needs a day. there are a ton of calculators out on the internet. for someone your size, you're probably looking at 2600-2700 calories a day. so bump that down to 2400-2500 a day, more protein/carbs and less fat. workout 2-3 times a week. forget all the "are you going to workout in the morning or night" or "don't eat processed foods." you need to get the big picture first, then you can micro-manage down to specific workouts/foods. do this for a month or two, then come back for specific workouts/food regimens.

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The main thing is that the yoke has a lot more calories, which can add up quickly.

17.2 calories each egg white (large)
    71.5 calories each egg whole (large)

I eat 6 egg whites each morning which is about 100 calories, but very filling and high in protein. (actually on morning when I'm working out but not doing cardio I throw in 1 yolk for the fat and antioxidants, etc.)

6 whole eggs would be 427 calories, which is a lot more.

It depends on your strategy I guess. There are different ways to go about it. I like eating something very filling with a low calorie total and high protein. And eggs are really cheap. I just get a couple of packs of 18 eggs and eat them all week.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I have the one that anchors to the door, but I have really low ceilings, and one of my two doors is at a weird angle that won't support it. The other is the front door, which may be too wide, I have to check, but I would prefer not to fail at pull ups while people drive by (I live on a decently busy st).

If I shouldn't eat sandwiches, what is a good substitute for lunch. I need something I can prepare easily and take to work.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

That was kind of my attitude in college, and it worked for the most part. I was 212lbs in high school, started playing basketball when I graduated and by the middle of my sophomore year of college I was down to 172. I didn't eat healthy, I continued to eat fast food, buffets, and Big Bite (UT students know whats up!). However, I don't play 4 hours of basketball a day anymore, and I can't blame the alcohol for feeling like crap since I essentially don't drink anymore. Also, this is just as much about being healthy as it is about proving to myself I can do anything I put my mind to. I always give up working out after a week or two. Already I am growing weary in anticipation for tomorrow's workout and the future changes. I am very weak willed.