1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nutrition/Excercise Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by trueroxfan, Sep 17, 2012.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Do you do the workouts in the morning? If I did them at night, should I still do eggwhites for breakfast? I was thinking of switching off egg white omelets and plain oatmeal every other day.

How do you feel when you workout in the morning? Do you feel sore/tired for the day? Do you feel the same? Do you feel better? I would prefer to work out in the afternoon just because I don't want to wake up earlier.

Also, how many hours before I sleep should I eat?

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

drink roughly 80 oz. of water a day. your kidneys will filter out the majority of your metabolic wastes. you will pee a lot.

3. Classic

Classic Member

Raw egg yolks are actually pretty healthy. I try and have about 15 a week. When dropping weight, fatty acids play a very important role in breaking plateaus when the body is in a sustained state of caloric deficits. The health benefits of raw yolks far outweigh any negativity commonly associated with yolks (calories & cholesterol) IMO from the numerous articles I've read published on topic. Note, this is raw yolks, not cooked.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/418994-the-health-benefits-of-raw-egg-yolks/

I also work out every morning first thing so my dietary intake would be different than someone working out in the PM.

4. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Cook your protein the night before. Chicken breast or pork tenderloin. Both lean and high in protein.

Steam Broccli or brussel sprouts. Cut up romaine lettuce, toss in cherry tomatoes... package all the night before and just microwave the meats at work. Not the greens obviously.

Fruit for dessert. Apples, organges, bananas. Or 0% fat greek yogurt.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Well part of it is the logistics of what you can cook when, etc. If you plan on working out after work, it may not make as much sense to load up on eggs for breakfast in the morning. You might want to just stick with something like oatmeal for example. Plus, it's pretty hard to make eggs if you go strait to the gym after work. Most people just do a protein shake and some fruit (or juice) in that case pre-workout. (again, there are a lot of divergent strategies... so you probably want to spend some time reading on bodybuilding.com, for example)

But yeah, I'm married with kids and have a full time job plus some extra curricular obligations, so I've found that I can only realistically work out in the morning. Some days I'm more sore than others, but generally I feel pretty good overall. Since I've lost so much weight and leaned up, I feel less sluggish than I used to, and generally more alert.

The first couple of weeks are probably going to be the hardest for you, but once you get in a rhythm you realize how much better you feel all around.

And it's like someone else said earlier, you don't necessarily have to go full on into diet and exercise mode at your age, but by making some simple changes you can probably start seeing a lot of great benefits. Just getting more active helps, but you really do need to make some diet changes as well if you want to feel better. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to go into a low calorie, vegan raw food diet or anything faddy either.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah something like this...you can prepare different things over one or two nights and then just mix and match over the week for lunch. Certain meats you could buy already prepared, like grilled chicken, if you dont have time.

For veggies, i just put them in frozen in a container with water. Microwave for about 2mins and drain. You can steam too, If you'd you'd like.

Also, there's nothing wrong with switching lunch and breakfast, if it helps your save time.

Boiled eggs also work. Take some tuna and make egg/tuna salad.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

People here telling you to eat carbs and lean meat while avoiding fat are ignoring some basic biochemistry. The majority of calories in your diet should come from fat, very little from carbs. That's been the diet for 99% of our existence as a species, animal products and leafy green vegetables (google paleo diet).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9mIvj6HmHBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Hmm, I've always heard that carbs were good when you are trying to put on muscle mass. I figured fats were unnecessary for those who have a high body-fat ratio since you burn fat as a last source for energy. I am a newbie in this area so I'll check out that video when I get home. Thanks.

9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It seems every time there is a diet thread someone gives bad info and me and Commodore make the same points. Eat as few carbs as possible, they are terrible for you. Fats are not a big deal. People think that fat in food = fat in your body wich is wrong. Carbs are much more easily digested and turned into fat. Protein you can eat a lot of without gaining weight. This is why the Atkins and low glycemic index diets works.

There are different types of carbs, and they are not all created equal. Simple carbs are the ones that are terrible for you. Complex carbs, less so and fiber does not get digested by your body at all.

The advice to stay on the outside of the supermarket is good. Eat meat, fruits, vegetables and beans and you will lose weight. Stay away from bread, pasta, cereal, potatoes, rice.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's a good point to make. I'd say 1 out of every 2 people, at least, dont know this.

However, even leaner cuts have fat and there's other sources of fat. For meats i suggested leaner cuts to ease into the new diet. His digestive system will thank him.

Personally, i keep doing it for the taste. Eating large amounts of meat fat just doesn't taste good to me.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

p90x is legit and works

but don't forget to eat plenty of GERMAN POTATO SOUP!!!

and to the guy that's going to do insanity and p90x same day? Overtraining brah. Competing objectives

12. blink

blink Contributing Member

I mustve missed the part where everyone here is a board certified doctor or registered dietitian

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

I will add a few things.

1. No matter what you hear..the most important thing is net calorie deficit.
    2. Second most important is daily macro nutrient ratio (more protein the better)
    3. Meal timing is more important than meal frequency. Don't believe the bull**** about you have to eat 6 times a day to keep your metabolism going.

There's some other tips like..
    1. Eat less calories on the days you're not working out. like..eat -20% on days you are not working out vs +10% on workout days. Also have a day every 7-10 days where you eat around 2x your resting metabolic rate. Hell, have foods you like.

2. cycle carbs..eat carbs on workout days vs. 50-75grams on non workout days. keep your protein intake the same at least 1gram/lb.
    on non workout days, replace carbs with good dietary fat if you need to get some more cals in.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

And what have our doctors and dietitians done for our country? Value advice where over half of this country is fat??:p

15. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

+1 for paleo
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=paleo

damn, broke my oath to never enter another health/exercise thread on clutchfans again.

16. Classic

Classic Member

[​IMG]

17. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Cut those and you're in good shape. As far as eating, it gonna take lot of work with cooking and tailor it to your taste cuz it's not couple weeks thing but long haul for you to have any result. But once you feel the difference you'll never go back to old eating habit. It's all in your head

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

If your too tall to use your pull up machine in your house i suggest locking your legs at a 90° angle in frontt of you... this will be difficult, and will make your abs sorer than any ab workout you do... it doesnt have to be perfect either, if it starts becoming to taxing bend your knees... but i guarentee you you will seee a much better improvent... the only time i had a sixpack was because i was doing this type of pull up, and i wasnt doing anything else for my abs but watchin my diet...

As for your diet, you can listen to everyone, and everyone has great ideas and mostly all good knowledge, the truth is everyone is different, and what works for them might not work for you... start slow, dont leap into it or youll likely become overwhelmed and start cheating alot....

Keep your diet simple, high proteins, low fats, high carbs around workout, low carbs when your not... eat a snack immediatly after waking up, preferably a protein shake(you need to kickstart your metabolism that has been stopped for 6-10hrs while sleeping)... shower and get ready like normal and eat your breakfast(which ahould be your biggeat meal)...

Dont worry about all packeged foods and what not jus yet.... jus focus on calories, fats, protein, carbs... in abiut a month (or quiker) you can start dropping these foods from your diet...

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Whoa wtf are we looking at here in this thumbnail? :eek:

Looks like a man wearing women's panties with a sleeve over his dong.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Fat deposits from a person injecting themselves with insulin over a lifetime.

Insulin (not calorie consumption) regulates fat accumulation.