1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden wearing a Blue Lives Matter mask????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 16, 2020.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That’s objectively true, especially if you understand the history of the antifa movement in Germany that the US antifa movement is supposedly derived from.

Let’s be honest though, nobody that willingly associates themselves with the antifa movement in the US actually reads, lol.

waytookrzy079 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No I mean that's bigtexxx's avatar and the name is ktex lol.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You're personally disappointed in James Harden?? Yeah you and his mom, right? FOH

Oh, Black people only have one opinion. And you know what it is. That simplifies Black thought a lot! Thanks.

You don't expect Harden to spend half his life studying the African diaspora? But why are you pissed at him then?
    I heard a Black celebrity say something, but he wasn't you. Is that OK?
    He said "Why is it my responsibility to educated White people?" Can a Black person be born without special burdens from you?
    Seems like you don't view James Harden as a normal man; you view him a Black man. That's your own race problem.

#303 sirbaihu, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alot of these Haters of James Harden coming from Utah Fans, Warrior Fans, ESPN, FOX Sports.

People have nothing to do just at home, type on their Smartphones. Thats all their Lives are about, that is all that is left in this World Now it is just pathetic.

People on Social Media are Toxic, always Negative People Judging, creating drama.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah.

HP3 likes this.
  6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Harden knew what he was doing. The man goes to each game wearing something so over-the-top, just so people can have something to say. He is a walking billboard. This was probably orchestrated by either Adidas, or the rocket organization. Being aligned with law enforcement is big-money, even when they're out harming civilians

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL

King1, harold bingo and sirbaihu like this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

I’m convinced a lot of posters on this board post the first things that come to their mind regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

Post #189. We are essentially saying the same thing. Harden pretty much lives in his own world and I definitely don’t expect him to know about things that aren’t mainstream. I wish he did though because with his platform he could change quite a bit but that’s not who he is.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I believe you.

Amaru, let's find some common ground here. I feel like I agree with you deep down, but there's a surface problem. You're attacking a Black man for not behaving how a Black man should. Sounds racist. And a lot of non-Blacks are defending him saying "He can do whatever he wants." What's happening here?

I think minorities of all kinds face a special challenge: they don't know if their experiences are "minority" or universal. For example, women can be afraid of White men as well as Black men. When I'm out running in the desert and I pass a woman in the middle of nowhere, she's afraid! Won't make eye contact, won't say hi. Even though we're the only two people for miles around, and I'm considered White! If I were Black, I'd blame it on being Black. Since I'm a man, I blame it on being a man. Maybe it's not for either of those reasons. . . .

Blacks as a group certainly have a LOT of challenges to deal with! But let's not forget that all humans face challenges, insults, etc., and Black people probably have some non-"Black," universal experiences as well. Isn't that the whole premise: humanity is universal?

With James Harden, I feel like you're not letting him just be a human. He has to be Black when he gets dressed in the morning, Black when he surfs the internet, and he can never stop remembering "I'm Black right now." Maybe you feel like that's how it really is: you can never stop remembering you're Black, even for one second, and other people won't let you forget. I believe you.

But, here on CF, seems like a lot of people are saying "Let him be a normal guy" and you're saying "No, he has to be Black right now." If James Harden were White, you wouldn't be disappointed in him, right?

For me, I don't care if you or James Harden are whatever color. You don't believe me? I don't qualify to be on your team? That's your choice.

11. amaru

amaru Member

I read the rest of your point but this statement seems to be the main cause of our disagreement (as well of other posters disagreements with me). I get that Rockets fans are generally sensitive to any criticism send in Harden’s direction because he’s probably the most criticized NBA player. At no point have I attacked Harden, I’ve simply shared my opinions. I’ve said that Harden strikes me as a guy who lives in his own little world and because of that I believe him when he says he didn’t know what he was wearing. I then expressed my disappointment because Harden, imho, has the type of platform needed to effect change if he so desired. I don’t really see that as an “attack” but if you do we can agree to disagree.

I’m not sure what you are getting at with “not letting Harden be human”. He’s free to do whatever he wants...this is America. I’m also free to wish he would do more to actively advocate for black people.....and y’all are free to disagree with me.

Am I saying James Harden “has” to be black right now? I’m not sure what you are getting at as “being black” isn’t something we can turn on and off. All the majority of black people have EVER wanted was to be treated as “human”. That was literally the goal of the Civil Rights movement. We still aren’t there yet because the dominant society hasn’t yet allowed us to live like that.

I can’t say that I’d be disappointed in Harden if he were white because disappointment implies a certain level of expectation. Generally speaking, I don’t expect non-black people to really advocate for causes that benefit black people. Anti-blackness is ubiquitous and it’s even in the black community. Honestly, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of non-black people taking to the streets in recent months. Maybe that’s a sign of change to come...I’m CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. If I did see a non-black NBA player supporting something like “Blue Lives Matter”, I’d chuckle, roll me eyes and think “Figures”/“No surprise there”.

I don’t think black people have any real “friends” (long term) that aren’t black. Therefore, I think it’s incumbent on those of us who have the skill sets to help the less fortunate of us to do so. Altruism in a sense. Not everyone feels that way, and I’d put Harden in that bunch. It is surprising that he isn’t more active/aware when some of the people he’s close to are the opposite. It is what it is though.

#311 amaru, Jul 18, 2020
    DreamShook likes this.
  12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

[QUOTE="amaru, post: 13009240, member: 42710"Harden pretty much lives in his own world.[/QUOTE]

same world as majority of this country

majority doesn't know that the punisher logo had something to do with blue thin line

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think both Morey and Harden have to be careful, they are viewed as public personalities, even if Morey doesn't think of himself as a 'star'.

Different scenarios but both were not thinking ahead, being sort of naive.

amaru likes this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Cool looking mask. I just bought one... thanks James for showing me a cool looking mask.

15. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

All lives matter as it should...next time anyone talks to me about black lives matter I would simple ask them if they are black? If no, does that mean your lives doesn't matter and the police could beat you up? They all shut up.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I think we are converging here! True: you didn't "attack" Harden, but you are very disappointed in him.

I agree it would be better if every Black celebrity (and every other person) were well informed on every issue and did all in their power to make the world a better place (according to their understand). But that's not reality.

As an exceptionally successful Black man, Harden is a busy guy: being the best in the world, being a celebrity, managing millions of dollars. All these things are full-time jobs unto themselves. But, because he is Black, James Harden must also be aware of the blue mask thing, or else people will be very disappointed. That's what I mean by "being Black." And what I mean by "being human" is: it's OK if you didn't know about the blue mask thing, Human.

So, you're born an African-American male infant. You become James Harden. Some Black people are disappointed in you. It must be hard indeed to be a Black man in America.

You don't think Black people have any long-term friends, huh? Good luck with that.

#316 sirbaihu, Jul 18, 2020
  17. amaru

amaru Member

Yea we’ve probably converged as much as possible. I respect the fact that you made the effort. It’s almost impossible to talk across the gap in this country for many reasons.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude WTF?

I am very socially conscious and had no idea about that mask.

And now you are saying Harden is blissfully ignorant?

How condescending can you be?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you know who he is or what he is doing?

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

This is exactly the level of nuanced political discussion i would expect from you, RocketsElf. Nicely done!

Rockets4lf, amaru and jiggyfly like this.