1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden wearing a Blue Lives Matter mask????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 16, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he already said what happened

BigShasta and tinman like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

Players like LBJ, Steph, Russ, etc. have a proven track record of speaking out on issues that don't affect them personally. I already said, in the very post you quoted, that I often don't agree with what these players say but I do acknowledge the fact that they do say something. Harden, on the other hand, lives in his own little world and seems pretty socially unaware (as an outsider looking in). I doubt either Steph or LBJ would get away with wearing the same mask.....in the eyes of most black people anyway. Some things are bigger than basketball.

"Harden doesn't open his mouth, doesn't tweet, etc and is photographed with a face mask that you have to research pretty intensely to find out what it even symbolizes...and gets completely crapped on"

I specifically highlighted this part because you are assuming that we all have the same level of privilege that you do. Some of us don't get to "ignore" or "walk away" from racial discussions as we please. As a black man, I know EXACTLY what "Blue Lives Matter" is all about and why it was created. "Blue Lives Matter" is something created by current/retired law enforcement officers as a counter movement to the Black Lives Matter movement. These officers were upset that black citizens/tax payers would have the audacity to demand lawful/human treatment from the officers WE are employing. Instead of simply acknowledging that mistakes have been made and retraining is needed, they wish to flip the conversation to criminal activity of citizens. "Blue Lives Matter" logic is that black criminals commit crimes in the black community and nobody complains (this is categorically false) so why can't we (meaning police officers) commit crimes in the black community and get away with it.

I say all that to say that while you may have the privilege of seeing "Blue Lives Matter" is a "fringe" movement, some of us have to deal with it as a direct assault on our rights as citizens.

#242 amaru, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. amaru

amaru Member

Knowledge in one area doesn't mean that you are knowledgeable in other areas.

4. amaru

amaru Member

I responded to a similar post from another member, but it applies here to:

You are assuming that we all have the same level of privilege that you do. Some of us don't get to "ignore" or "walk away" from racial discussions as we please. As a black man, I know EXACTLY what "Blue Lives Matter" is all about and why it was created. "Blue Lives Matter" is something created by current/retired law enforcement officers as a counter movement to the Black Lives Matter movement. These officers were upset that black citizens/tax payers would have the audacity to demand lawful/human treatment from the officers WE are employing. Instead of simply acknowledging that mistakes have been made and retraining is needed, they wish to flip the conversation to criminal activity of citizens. "Blue Lives Matter" logic is that black criminals commit crimes in the black community and nobody complains (this is categorically false) so why can't we commit crimes in the black community and get away with it.

I say all that to say that while you may have the privilege of seeing "Blue Lives Matter" is a "fringe" movement, some of us have to deal with it as a direct assault on our rights as citizens.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

To get a mask big enough to cover his beard, it would have to be from a hunting/fishing store or customer made. Considering the demographic that commonly shops at those locations, I am sure one can find those types of graphics there. Someone from his crew probably went to the store, saw a bunch of camo masks and then that one and was like "That looks pretty dope!" and then bought it for Harden.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

SJWs gonna SJW. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That means like 90% of Clutchfans

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Elon going to get us to Mars

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. if I wanted to live on Mars I could just go to El Paso. :cool:

NotInMyHouse and tinman like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I stand with Harden
    @Jontro @Reeko

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Sad that Beard had to make a statement at all ... :cool:
    Seems like everything is either "Black or White" these days ,,, (pun intended)

Go Rockets!!!

#251 BamBam, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

And LeBron endorses China
    Cause of money
    He doesn’t care about Hong Kong

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  13. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I believe Harden when he said that he didn't know what that mask represented. The mask looked cool and it covered his beard, the end. I'm familiar with the whole "Thin Blue Line" controversy but that's the first time I've seen that mask. Twitter mobs are an abomination.

Harden seems to be a pretty apolitical person, which is fine with me. I suppose you can criticize him for lacking "current social/cultural/societal awareness", but he's just a dude who wants to play ball, make his money, and have fun with the ladies. Plenty of dudes out there like that.

However...the Rockets PR staff should have known better, and caught this issue, recognized that mask symbolism for what it is, and advised/warned Harden before that pic was taken. Sure, mistakes happen, but this "non-story" could have been completely avoided. Part of experienced, effective PR is keeping up to date with the current political climate of the United States and other relevant areas of the world.

gotsis and JumpMan like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

it sucks for Harden that a MVP can’t do anything without being criticized for doing nothing
    @Os Trigonum

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/blue-lives-matter/

It looks like it was formed in response to criminal assault/attacks and other perceived injustices against police officers, and that is predominantly what they talk about. From what I can tell, their primary agenda is to seek out protected status for police officers, to treat targeted attacks against them as hate crimes. One can disagree with such stated goals and the expansion of what constitutes a protected class of people, I suppose. It's not clear to me that their problem with "Black Lives Matters" is black citizens demanding equal treatment, as opposed to messaging that is putting the safety of police officers at risk.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. Victorious

Victorious Member

From your link:

"Blue Lives Matter was formed in reaction to the Black Lives Matter movement, which seeks to end police brutality against the African American community"

HP3 and amaru like this.
  17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

True, but I would be inclined to give James Harden a break on this. The guy that grew up in Compton is not going to denigrate the BLM movement in support of the police.

18. amaru

amaru Member

I agree. Harden doesn’t strike me as the most socially conscious guy.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, but "which" and "because" mean very different things.

JumpMan likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're blowing my post completely out of proportion and completely making up context that isn't there. When did privilege enter the discussion? Why are you assuming I'm not black? When did I say to ignore or walk away from racial discussions? When did I say "Blue Lives Matter" was a fringe movement or that it wasn't a big deal?

Glad you stood on your soapbox and typed out what "Blue Lives Matter" was and what it means to you, but what a tone deaf post, otherwise.

My point was, associating that particular mask with "Blue Lives Matter," wasn't something I immediately thought of. Especially when the blue line isn't immediately and vibrantly obvious. Especially when the picture of a half skull is there, that's not really on other Blue Lives Matter graphics.

Regarding Harden's choice of mask, though - you would think there'd be someone physically close to him throughout the entire trip from Houston to Orlando, to maybe nudge him and say "bruh, that's not a good choice of face mask."

jiggyfly likes this.