1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden wearing a Blue Lives Matter mask????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 16, 2020.

1. amaru

amaru Member

You assume that a topic you know little about is “obscure” or “fringe” but I’m the tone deaf one. Next time don’t assume your knowledge base is somehow the “norm”. When you admit how much you have to learn...you may actually learn something :)

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

None of the people around him. None of the Rockets social media team that posted the image. None of any of the Rockets personnel around him that saw him wearing the mask took notice of it. Hell im sure some teammates had to have been around and saw him in it. Haven’t heard anything about them noticing and saying something about it.

To me that says a lot about the actual awareness your average person has about the image on the mask. Or that most people, myself included, saw the picture and didn’t bother to full on examine it/didn’t even notice what was on the mask.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I’ve heard that line of logic but it seems disingenuous for several reasons. I’d rather not have a “political” debate in GARM. It’s a damn shame that black people asking for police to respect our constitutional rights has become a political issue but that’s America for you.

Blue Lives matter didn’t show up until after Black Lives Matter gained popularity. It is an attempt to”talk down” legitimate concerns for police reform in a vulnerable group.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Why are you requiring Harden to be aware of blue mask stuff? Because you are?
    Does everyone have to consume the same internet as you?
    This is like Red Guard ****. "He wore the wrong colors! Strike him!"

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Again, when did I use "obscure" or "fringe?" When did I say my knowledge base is the "norm?" You really like inserting context where it's not, and I'm not sure why.

You basically interpreted what I wrote as a personal attack, and felt the need to be condescending. Do I know less about Blue Lives Matter than you? Clearly. But being condescending really isn't a great way to go about educating someone about a social issue.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

I didn’t interpret anything you said as a personal attack. I simply called you out on your use of biased/dismissive language.

7. amaru

amaru Member

I’m not requiring Harden to do anything. I’ve already acknowledged that he doesn’t seem to be a socially conscious person. While I think it’s incredibly foolish for a black person, particularly one with a platform as large as his, to lack social conscious it is Harden’s right to be blissfully ignorant if he wants.

Dandy Chiggins likes this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Now every non-foolish Black person has to be socially conscious? Is there anyone, Black, White, whatever, who is allowed not to be socially conscious?

What does that mean, "socially conscious"? Reading about blue masks on the internet........... James Harden might be too busy for that. And some other people too.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Haven't read the comic books in a long time, but The Punisher seemed more like a tragedy than a superhero or regular hero tale. It was a guy traumatized by the murder of his wife and children and became a vigilante whose bloodlust helped suppress his overwhelming grief. A much more violent, less thoughtful Batman. Anyway, I did like the game.

[​IMG]

10. amaru

amaru Member

This is starting to trend towards a D&D discussion but for the record, yes I feel EVERY black person needs to be socially conscious. If that offends you then so be it, but I will not apologize for feeling this way.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Seems like you're the offended one. Harden is good; I'm good. Yeah, you have an issue for the D&D.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Lol ok

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Netflix series is good too
    He actually shows up first on DareDevil season 2 or 3

dc rock likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Definitely, respecting constitutional rights certainly shouldn't be a controversial political issue. But Black Lives Matters is, in fact, a radical political movement and some of their political positions are debatable. Black Lives Matters does not own the conversation on police reform or solutions to systemic issues that impact Black people. They've been at the forefront of raising public awareness about these issues in recent years, and for that the movement should be commended, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for criticism.

It was a response to Black Lives Matters, but the open question (for me) is whether its aims are to talk down legitimate concerns (which predate BLM) or to counter messaging from BLM which they feel endangers police officers. Just as people who associate with BLM are not uniformly of the same opinion on all things, the same is probably true for people who support "Blue Lives Matters".

jordnnnn and JumpMan like this.
  15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#standwithdaryl

16. amaru

amaru Member

Interesting perspective. I will say that I’ve never seen anybody claim that BLM “owns” the discussion on police reform. Our ancestors (quietly) asked for that over 100 years ago. BLM is simply the latest group attempting to address centuries of inadequate policing. And it should go without saying but you are correct, NOBODY is above criticism. I have several criticism of BLM myself. As far as Blue Lives Matter you may be correct in that some police view any attempt at reform as a “war on cops”. It’s true that when you have privilege, movement to equality can feel like “oppression”. The kicker for me is the timing of the movement’s creation but we can agree to disagree.

Nook likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Looks like we got ourselves a sleeper cell in the 99ers.... @tinman

tinman likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Are you from America btw?

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member