1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Russell Westbrook may be key to the Rockets reinvention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 26, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Nice article everyone should read IMO

2. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I'm sorry but this article is sh*t especially this part

Westbrook's number exploded upward when playing 5 out without a traditional center. Infact the biggest reason we traded Capela was to give WEstbrook room to operate in the paint. Now this idiot is saying the Rockets are too small to let Westbrook thrive? Hello he had his most efficient year ever under this offense.

The problem is that in a 7 game series, coaches can gameplan for weaknesses. There is no overcoming Westbrook's lack of range. Teams didn't guard him from the outside. If we let Westbrook be WEstbrook he'll just be an inefficient chucker with high turnovers.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Writer mistyped the last word...I think he meant intervention.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol must be an uneventful day for the author. Talk about reaching

hakeem94 and pr0wler like this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Everyone is down on Westbrook. Sucks he had Covid-19 then a quad injury. I just wish he was in rhythm for the playoffs. The blessing in disguise may be that we won't trade him due to his value being all the way down but the reality is next year he gets his rhythm back.

18pbr, hakeem94, kjayp and 1 other person like this.
  6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

She

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He is the key to Rockets reinvention! It depends what we can get for him in the trade market.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

I heard that Morey is not planning to trade Westbrook next year.
    One more year 2nd round exit. IMO

CK Johnson and coachbadlee like this.
  9. riko

riko Member

With the warriors being healthy and having the second pick to trade for a additional star vet this team might be a first round fodder.

juanm34, saleem and CK Johnson like this.
  10. rockets13champs

We just have to hope he doesn’t get an injury. I feel like a big reason why he sucked was his conditioning due to covid and his quad injury. It’s not fair to trash Westbrook with recency bias

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not as down on WB as many of y'all seem to be... I think the dude can be viable.
    He was crap after coming back from injury - but he looked explosive before that!
    Hopefully we get a coach that actually runs plays and can do a better job of playing to the hot hand - and mitigating negatives when a guy has an off night - as opposed to just letting them 'play through it...'

12. Caprah

Caprah Member

If he miraculously develops skills that he up to this point never had Luke a brain and a shot maybe

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is unplayable in the playoffs and has been for 3 years.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Let him pad his stats early in the season, then trade him to a desperate team.

fattz and saleem like this.
  15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

We (or at least I) hated Russ for years but just forced myself to pretend I didn't when he became a Rocket. When he goes back to doing the same crap that made me hate him in the first place like forcing low percentage shots, disappearing on defense, running around like a headless chicken, and completely brain dead turnovers, I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking that any of those things were due to injury when they've been major parts of his game for years and years and years. Even in his MVP year these were all glaringly obvious and were the reasons why they only finished 7th and Harden was the true MVP that year.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

All that is true, but the comeback from the quad injury and covid-19 made things worse. He needs to get fit first and work with a coach who challenge him in the off season.

MettaWorldPete and 18pbr like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the bottom line.

MettaWorldPete, pr0wler and fattz like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt he can run things back.

He can't even play 80 games and 20 playoff games no more without extended rest.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He didn't look all that good in the 4 game losing streak prior to the Covid break either.

He had the hottest streak by any definition no doubt about that.

He was either going to get gassed or injured either way, his playing style is too reckless.

It's what the Rox needed from him yet it is not sustainable on your body.

fattz likes this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

All true statements but the not being sustainable sums up small ball, Westbrook AND the Rockets as a whole. Harden greatness has covered up a lot. It’s been fun to watch but there is no way to maintain as the norm.