1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Russell Westbrook may be key to the Rockets reinvention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 26, 2020.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the key to a championship formula

(for the opponent)

2. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Unless Russ can shoot 35%+ on wide open 3-point shots, I don't think the Rockets are going anywhere in the playoffs. It's a bit unnerving when teams just sit back and are willing to let him shoot a wide open corner 3.

I think he had a bit of an off year shooting 3-pointers and shooting numbers will look a bit better next season. But even under a best case scenario of him shooting, say maybe 33% from 3, that's only a TS of 50%. If you're the opponents, would you rather live with that, or deal with the gangster James Harden and his GOAT iso-dance moves? Which averaged 39 PPG on 64 TS% for 2.5 months btw, until he started getting double teamed on 75% of possessions. It's an easy choice if you're the defense.

HP3, BigShasta, daywalker02 and 2 others like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

kjayp and 18pbr like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the micro ball was one last effort to save his career as a superstar.

Now they are gradually contemplating acquring a taller player at Center again.

It would be like it never really happened.

It's not just Harden, the team played relatively well against OKC without him, they built chemistry without him.

He might dominate regular season Lakers again, but do not expect him to dominate a high end Playoff series against top contenders.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. anchel

anchel Member

Yep, in a 7-game series a coach adjusts and then we see the real thing.

Where is then the high efficiency of Westbrook and our superoffense?
    I think what you're saying precisely goes in favor of what you're quoting, and not the other way around. I mean, it has not been proven at the key moment that an offense without a roll guy like Capela does work better for us than with him included. Actually we have looked even more predictable and easy to gameplan against.

Then we could argue about the true value of regular season numbers (both collective and individual) knowing that differ that much from the playoff numbers. Also note that the team's RS level even counting those Westbrook numbers it was a 7th seed before the lokcdown. Probably you'll speak about Harden's poor level, but did that Covington4Capela move helped also Harden's game?? And the rest of our shooters really shooted better without Capela?? What about our rebounding numbers and defensive presence inside the paint?

I mean, you're sacrificing a few things in the name of Russ's numbers and efficiency, and that's only referring to RS. We saw what happened in the playoffs. Then you don't even have his RS numbers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think he meant regression

Invisible Fan, HP3 and jordnnnn like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Well the resilient Nuggets got put away 4-1 just like us. Makes me feel slightly better. With the refs on their side, the Lakers look like they're on a mission. A mission with the aid of the league.

Free throws, free throws.. for everyone! If you're wearing purple and gold.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

LeBron, AD, Rondo, Caruso, KCP, and Morris are all playing at a high level. They clearly switched to another gear I didn’t know they had.

Somehow Kuzma still playing badly though. He should be feasting while everybody’s focused on the stars, but he looks totally lost out there.

#28 Patience, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Oh lord. What is it about Westbrook that makes people try to like him so much? If any other player played like he did we'd all unanimously br asking to move on ASAP.

HP3 and jordnnnn like this.
  10. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Great read from everybody on here nice opinions but I been a Rockets fan for over 25 years and I must say I’m tired of them falling short every season and I know y’all are feeling the same. Everyone on this board including me have high expectations for the Rockets every season. So I must say and some of y’all won’t agree with me but If Daryl Morey can’t put the best team around Harden( and I mean putting James in position to win it all) I really think it’s time for this franchise to part ways with Morey or Harden other wise we as fans will get the same result every season smh

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For better or worse we are stuck with Westbrook and have no real ability to add talent. So if we're gonna actually compete for anything then he absolutely will have to be key to it. Needing him to be and expecting him to be are obviously 2 very different things.

The only small glimmer of hope (very small IMO) is a new coach manages utilize Westbrook. Frankly I think Morey and Pringles went all out trying to do that and Westbrook still failed.

Patience and Roxfan4lyfe like this.
  12. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

And Another thing I’m not a fan of conspiracy or all that other bull crap I just know putting together the best team wins chips. Look at the Lakers they haven’t done nothing in 10 seasons and still made it back to the finals before the Rockets. I love this team but some point we need to wake up people us fans shouldn’t settle for this mediocre play the Rockets been doing over and over again in the playoffs its sad

13. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

How can you feel good about that when clearly the Lakers outplayed our Rockets and outplayed the Nuggets we need to stop as fans crying over calls and free throws u must don’t know ball because if you did you would know every season the refs don’t favor the Rockets it’s been like this for over 30 years even when the Rockets won back to back the ref was against them and the league stop making excuses

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Totally agree with this article. Trading Westbrook would be very key for a productive Rockets reinvention.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is truly the most perplexing thing.

If we did blind statistical resumes comparing players, Westbrook’s name would wind up sooooooo far down the list. But because his name is attached and at one time for a 2-3 year period he WAS a star people will hold on to it for dear life. No matter that he’s been trash for 3-4 years now outside of a pretty small sample size on a team that did everything possible to maximize his abilities.

Very similar to Melo. That name STILL has people convinced he’s good.

napalm06 and HP3 like this.
  16. Asian Sensation

Westbrick is crap. He always has been. He sucked cause he sucks. Using Covid and a quad injury as excuses is just plain delusional. He looked healthy and as explosive as ever so you can’t use the injury excuse. His timing and rhythm looked off because the dude is notorious for making terrible decisions and being extra bad in the playoffs. He nearly led us to his 4th straight First round exit. Rondo who was out longer than him outplayed him for a tiny fraction of what Westbrick makes. It’s not surprising though. Playoff Rondo is a stud and he’s always been a high IQ player. You can’t fix stupid. Can’t wait till this fool is gone.

I do pray that there’s at least 1 or 2 other GM’s that think like either one of you guys for the sake of our future.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I would actually argue Melo is very different. Melo had A1 superstar talent. He just chose to play in an archaic/innefficient manner until he was past his prime. Dwight Howard is very similar. He can get a double double now without a play call. If he would have just played PnR basketball in his prime he could have won a championship already.

Westbrook does not have star skill. His talent is playing hard and being athletic. This was hidden when he was on teams where he could setup every play. The problem is that shouldn't happen here.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Westbrook will be the nail in the Harden era's coffin. Unless Westbrook starts knocking down open shots there's no way both players can be at their best on the court at the same time. That's a major roster construction problem. You're best players should compliment each other not the other way around.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I'll take 30% at this point. And the only way he can achieve that is by keeping his attempts down.

Honestly I think the Russ/Harden pairing can work, but it will take him maintaining the level of efficiency he hit in the regular season. The issue with Russ in the playoffs was his turnovers and poor decision making/ lack of control. His 3-point shooting is what it is. But the bad handles and live-ball turnovers were killers. I think a lot of it had to do with his injury and COVID recovery, which made him tentative, and less aggressive than usual. When he is not in full attack mode, he seems uncertain what to do. I'm hopeful by the time the new season starts, he can get some of his mojo back.

D-rock likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

If the Nuggets beat LA, I’d feel worse. Get it now?

pr0wler and D-rock like this.
  20. don grahamleone

Maybe they’re taking LeBron’s roids?

pippendagimp likes this.