1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long Will Small Ball in Houston Last?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, May 12, 2020.

?

Small Ball will come to an end ...

Poll closed Sep 12, 2020.
  1. When Next Season Begins

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. When We Get a New Head coach

31 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. When We Get a New Owner

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. When Morey Gets Fired

16 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. After the Next First Round Playoff Exit

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. When either Harder or Westbrook is no longer on the team

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. When Hell Freezes Over

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What do you all think?

(May choose 2 responses in poll)

2. fattz

fattz Member

We are locked in with cap and the contracts we must honor. So small ball it is.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

it'll be gone for next season - along with MDA...

for further elaboration see the sig...

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't think small ball was 100% MDA... morey has some belief in it too.

also, our cappella for covington move was in part because a player like covington is worth his salary more than a player like capela was. small sample size but covington improved our offense by being able to spread the floor while not hurting our defense because he's actually an all nba defender.

what may change with a defensive coach like thibs or JVG (the type of coach that morey has been rumored to want since before MDA was hired) is that they may value some size for certain matchups. so I'd assume we add a defensive 4/5 using the MLE over the summer and have them backup RoCo and tucker.

Patience, joshuaao, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Small ball had nothing to do with the cap. It was a choice made by Morey/MDA to get rid of Capela and go small.

saleem and fattz like this.
  6. StevieCrossover

Small ball is dead next season. Rockets wont win with a bunch of midgets who cant get a rebound.

Imanimal likes this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

You are right it was a choice. I am right, too. It has everything to do with the cap because we can’t undo what’s done. There is a void now with no cap room (money) to fill it; hence we’re stuck with it.

Imanimal likes this.
  8. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I think that they will eventually find a balance between going small and having a traditional Center. I don’t see them going after a Center via trade or FA though. I think that they will give Hartenstien or Bruno some time at Center next season. But, MDA or the new coach (along with WB/JH) will have to be able to trust the youngsters on both ends of the floor.

If the Rockets do go for a front court starter via trade, then I hope that it is AG. Unfortunately, a Gordon for Gordon trade doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Magic. Maybe the Rockets could bring in OKC and possibly a fourth team AND maybe the Magic would be interested in a CP3/Gordon starting back court. I don’t think anyone is interested in Vucevic so things get tricky.

Here is something that I worked out: https://tradenba.com/trades/j2M6kCDKs

Notes:
    - I don’t think McLemore would need to be included bc of EG’s increased salary next season.
    - The Rockets, Rivers and the Magic could agree to a separate sign and trade deal in conjunction to this trade. The SnT could help the Magic and Rockets balance the Gordon trade. Rivers is from Orlando and lives there in the offseason so there is a decent chance he agrees to this. Hopefully this isn’t needed but it could help get the deal done.

Why OKC does this: to get off of CP3’s contract. Fournier’s contract ends at the end of next season so that is 17m off of the books 2 years sooner. Aminu and Ross are solid vets who will work well with the young core and could be used as trade assets down the line. OKC might even be able to get an additional pick out of the deal.

Why ORL does this: it frees up the minutes in the front court so their young players can develop. They get to bring in solid vets to pair with their young players (Fultz could learn a lot from CP). It lessens the stress on their young back court players and allows them to develop at a more natural pace. Brings in premier ball handling and shooting. Should be able to also gain Houston’s 2022 frp.

Why HOU does this: Ummm... just look at this rotation!

Westbrook / Rivers (bird rights)
    Harden / McLemore (not needed in trade)
    RoCo / House
    PJ / J. Green (via partial MLE or Vet Min)
    A. Gordon / Hartenstien

#8 DM'sVP, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    fckbandwagons, D-rock and fattz like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

I just can’t see Orlando ever doing Gordon for Gordon, now with OKC putting Paul in.
    If Rivers wants to be in Orlando he would be there.

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I hope its gone soon I am sick of watching us overmatched against average bigs.

Imanimal likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree!!! I have been a die hard Rockets fan since the 80s and this year for the first time I no longer had fun watching the games. I actually was rooting for Minnesota that last game as it would have made 5 losses in a row against pathetic teams and surely would have sealed the fate of smallball. Hearing now that MDA will likely sign a 1 year deal due to Covid-19 and it makes me want to puke!

Jturbofuel likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Let's hope for the best. Morey says we can win with small ball, despite it's obvious shortcomings. Even Aron Baynes might have been enough to boost the team. He can shoot the ball, and rebound/ play defense. If we can get him with the MLE, it would be great, though it's unlikely he would come so cheap. Retain the rest, and try to trade Gordon, with a 1st round pick plus a high second round pick. I like him, but his injuries have slowed him down a lot.

@ApacheWarrior @BaselineFade

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey was looking to do 2nd trade for a traditional 5 after acquiring Covington.

I believe MDA and Morey realized that a traditional 5 wasn't going to be a starter or play significant minutes anyway since 5 out was more successful than anticipated.

fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I don’t think that Rivers would want to play for the Magic today. I think that if the Magic had CP and EG then it would drastically increase their floor. The increased floor, staying close to his family and (probably) a higher salary than what he could get from any contender in FA might make Orlando attractive for Rivers.

15. fattz

fattz Member

That is all fair. I had a tuff time following the bouncing ball.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they're following the warriors model. they always started a traditional 5, but they never pay more than vet minimum to centers. their money is spent on the perimeter which is where the modern game is won.

I don't expect the rockets to forgo centers on the roster, but I do expect them to be paid the minimum, and probably play about 18-24mpg. I'm hoping Harty becomes that guy next year so they can spend the MLE elsewhere.

additionally, I think it was pretty clear post trade deadline that harden without Westbrook needs a PnR lob threat to be his most effective. basically we consider Westbrook the starting center (on offense) as he's the only starter who can't shoot, and he's been guarded by opposing centers since the capela trade. when Westbrook comes out, the backup center comes in to play PnR with harden.

IvanLCPM, Corrosion, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

I am a basketball player.

Small ball is not working because Lakers and Clippers are able to shut down 3 pointers.

Please stop lining up the small ball while playing against Good defensive teams.

bmelo likes this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Can Morey find a way to acquire J Allen from nets and John Collins from Hawks?

4 million salary each player next season.

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

the most recent dynasty is founded based on a small-ball lineup with versatility.

unless we get another Dirk, Timmy, etc., which some players have the potential to turn into (i guess?), we're not going to see a Center-dominated league for a while.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That’s a bunch of bologna. GS had multiple centers on their roster and Looney and another tall player killed us on the boards in the 4th quarter of game 6 last year when MDA reverted ro small ball. They have always had Looney, Bogut, and others playing the position.

Little Bit likes this.