1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Rookie Report "Yao" & "Nachbar", Rudy down on Nachbar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This was from ESPN Insider today. I Thought it was particularly interesting in what they said about Nachbar!

###
    Judging the 2002 rookie class

Everyone knew the rookie class of 2002 had the potential to be one of the best in the last decade. The top two picks, Yao Ming and Jay Williams, were both tabbed as franchise players. Several others, including Mike Dunleavy, Drew Gooden, Caron Butler and Dajuan Wagner, were seen as sure things.

And while Yao and Butler have certainly panned out, most of the talent this year has come from unusual sources. International players like Nene Hilario, Gordan Giricek and Emanuel Ginobili have had a bigger-than-expected impact. And high school stud Amare Stoudemire is changing the way we think about high school kids entering the draft.

It's way too early to start labeling, but the class is shaping up to challenge the classes of 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2001 as the best of the past decade. Insider breaks down the impact these diaper dandies have had in year one.

All-Stars in the Making

Yao Ming, Rockets
    Drafted No. 1
    The big fella from China has exceeded just about everyone's expectations. That's a spectacular feat considering the hype that surrounded Yao when he came into the draft. He's already arguably the second-best true center in the NBA behind Shaq. He's backed down from no one. Has handled the swirling media storm with grace and eloquence. And, along with Steve Francis, he's on the verge of leading the Rockets to their first playoff berth in four years.

[NOTE: There are other categories listed with other players such as "Rock Solid","Starting to heat up", "Headed in the right direction", "Stuck in Neutral" and then the LAST category...."One Foot out the door" which is where Nachbar is!]

One Foot out the Door

Bostjan Nachbar, Rockets
    Drafted No. 15
    The Rockets' trade for James Posey sealed Nachbar's fate. One source in Houston claims that coach Rudy Tomajanovich has not been impressed at all with Nachbar. Second-rounders and undrafted players like Terrance Morris and Juaquin Hawkins play over him. Only one player on the Rockets' roster, Tito Maddox, plays less than Nachbar.

###
    This is the first time I have read anywhere that Rudy has NOT been impressed with Nachbar. All along I thought that Rudy was all for Nachbar, loved him in the pre-draft workout, was excited to get him and that his pre-season injury was something that set him back. That and the fact that he is in a loaded SF position. But could the truth really be that Nachbar is not practicing well and Rudy has really just been unimpressed with him? I hope that is not the case as I see Nachbar as a solid scoring SF bench guy for this team. I would hate to think that our #15 pick was wasted!!

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If true, this would be good news for Posey. If Nachbar is not our 3 of the future, then Posey can ask for a fatter contract this summer (in the Mobley range?).

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who was this source, TRG?????

Doc Rocket said that Rudy loves Nachbar and he will be our SF of the future. I trust Doc over anyone at ESPN insider. Doc is the real Rockets Insider.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

thx for the info Deuce.

I don't believe their "source" on the nachy comment tho. Not one bit.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

Didn't Rudy say Boki is essentially our 2004 first round pick since we won't have one? This is like his redshirt season.

Although if this report is true Rudy only has himself to blame since he was the one so impressed with Boki in the first place. You don't draft a player with a top 15 pick based on ten dunks in an Italian league scrimmage.

At least Jiri Welsch who was the 16th pick hasn't dont much better is Golden State.

Hopefully we don't have another Langhi on our hands but I'll give him another year or two to prove himself.

6. droxford

droxford Member

We'll probably never know for sure: Rudy always speaks highly of every player. If he was unimpressed with Boki, he would never say it.

-- droxford

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not sure who Chad Ford's (ESPN Insider) source was on that Nachbar comment. It could be someone from the Houston Media versus the actual Rockets organization for all we know.

Personally it seems sort of out in left field since this is the first "bad" thing we have heard about Nachbar.

Nevertheless, i wanted to post the info.

I do remember what Doc posted about Nachbar, so I hope that's the truth.

Chad Ford's email address is chad.m.ford@espn.com if anyone wants to try to find out more info.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly!

9. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Forgive me if I sound ignorant. Can someone tell me more about Doc Rocket and why he is Rockets insider? Also what's the relationship between Clutch the Bear and Clutch at ccnet?

10. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Actually, I trust Calvin Murphy (Rocket TV analyst and Hall of Famer who actually travels with the team for every game) & Bill Worrell more than this Chad Ford dude.

What Bill & Calvin said yesterday was the complete opposite of what this ESPN clown said. When Nachbar got in during the last 2 minutes of the game, they each said that Boki is going to be a key player for the Rockets in the years to come.

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

That has to be wrong, simple as that. First nobody was brought in over him. Posey was good value for a player who was here and ahead of Nachbar. Second, this is a very deep team and Nachbar is as good a candidate to sit and wait his turn. He did not have the good fortune of playing alot of minutes like the rookies last year did, so he has to sit and wait. This pick was Rudy's all the way and I cannot see anything that would cause Rudy to sour on him. This not a guy with a bad attitude and has been close to Ming. Insider obviously forgot we tried to move the pick to Memphis because we know we had depth at every position. In fact Brown, and Torres are now history because of how much talent is on the team. I reject the notion that Nachbar's fate is sealed. Rubbish.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

You can't believe everything ESPN says and does...Just ask Sir Charles...

Anyway, I'm glad there was a Boki Sighting last night, although the last minute...

Boki will be the future...He s/b playing now...

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

For what it is worth, I have also heard nearly the exact opposite of Ford's report. That sounds like a "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" comment. Everything I've heard suggests that the Rockets love Nachbar and consider him to be a prominent part of their future. However, the Rockets focus this season was improving defense, which they've done, and Nachbar is behind defensively like many European players. In addition, he fell behind pretty dramatically when he missed training camp because of his hernia.

I don't think Ford knows what he is talking about on this one.

14. matrixReloaded

from what i've seen through pre-game warmups, boki can shoot lights out, i just think that rudy t is taking it slow with him because he is a rookie and we won't have a first rounder this year, plus we are loaded at the 3 spot now.

funny how last year, that was our weakest position, now this year, we have a logjam there.

15. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

There was a time sometime ago when I wondered if the SPurs can bring Gino along so nicely why did we not do the same for Nachbar. I have since concluded that we have done our own bringing along of players or at least tried to and Nachbar was simple to low on the pole for to add to that group. I mean we had to deal with Ming, Posey, MoT, Rice and the continued development of EG and Tmo. Heck Tmo is another one that should not be sitting. But it is a good position to be in. I have no doubt that if we had a lot of injuries both Tmo and Nachbar would have been featuring.

16. AGBee

AGBee Member

This seems to be just speculation based on the fact that Boki hasn't played much.

17. Saphan

Saphan Member

I’ve read an interview with Nachbar yesterday (here in Slovenia). Unfortunately I don’t have the newspaper here with me, but I’ll try anyways to write some notes that I can remember.

- He talked about his non-playing time. In both his two previous clubs in Europe he has been sitting on the bench for the whole first year. He sad that he made to the first team in training, working hard and waiting his opportunity. He is confident that he’ll make it, probably not this year as Rockets are catching the play offs, but for sure next year.

- He also talked about his trainings. He gained 5 kg of muscles and has now 100 kg. He said that he has been working hard in gym. But because he slightly increased his weight, he has been playing SG in practice. So that he keeps his speed and quick legs, especially while defending.

- He also talked some about Yao, about all that hype that is surrounding him, and that they are good friends….

Other part probably won’t interest you (about our national team and upcoming European championship).

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I would only suggest that this has been a pattern in the past, and very few of the players stuck in that substitution pattern have stuck around more than 2 years. Right now, I'd say that Nachbar is on his way out. The only thing he has going for him is that T. Morris is dispensable and Rice is on the way out too. Thus his youth and potential are an advantage. But it all likelihood, I've seen this before, and it isn't good.

19. feishen

feishen Member

Huh, from what I saw yesterday in the shoot around before the clipper game, I thought Cat and Rice is better shooter than boki right now. But you know I dont get to see Boki much, so ..

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

For what it is worth also (sorry Mr Ford), we traded for Possey because we had one too many power forwards.

Calvin Murphy from his brief comment yesterday even sounded like he believed Boki can CONTRIBUTE now while getting on the job training.

Right now, Boki is arguably our second best shooting SF behind Rice and our best SF when it comes to attacking the rim.

Chad Ford is Wrong (again).