1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela at PF? Or is he best suited for C only?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tc0330, May 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Thoughts?

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think he can probably play some spot minutes at F but he's better at center. He just needs to bulk up a bit more without losing his agility.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Dude I'm done with the Dwight and Capella front court it sucked. The center or the PF must off set each other in order to create space. This is not the 1980's of basketball, but to answer your question he has to stay in the gym and play center. He needs to develop into Ibaka, minus the shooting threes.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I think he's too skinny for center... but at the same time he has no outside game at all, so he can't play PF either unless we want another Dwight/Asik situation.

Although he did alright I guess this past season at PF with Dwight.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Capela/Dwight lineup was intriguing and I thought they shouldn't have completely abandoned it like they did last year. I think in spurts it can be effective, but you don't want it as your main lineup, because Capela won't be able to develop an outside shot.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

You know in spurts it's fine, if you can capitalize on it in a certain situation go for it. However, it can't be your starting line up. I remember when teams used to just abandon Chuck Hayes on the defensive end daring him to make a play. He used to make some acrobatic lay ups, but teams got smart against us.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Good chance with Howard gone he's the starting C next year.

8. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I'm not a fan of Dwight anymore. Getting paid $20 mill a year to be "injured" majority of the season or only start trying towards the end of the season when Free Agency is nearing? I'll pass...

I read a report that Philly might shop Jahlil Okafor, but I feel like his price tag will be extra inflated. Yall think Rockets could push for a trade? Or at least push for a big trade to move up in the draft since we lost our 1st round pick?

9. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

In today's NBA he's a center. He just needs to add some muscle to his frame to handle the load. I hope he commits this summer to really developing his body. Last year he played PF out of necessity but ideally you want versatility out of that position. Someone who can step out knock down a few three's, score inside, and rebound at a good clip.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

We will see an undersized power forward starting under Mike D'Antoni's system. His offense is a fast pace so I dont think D'Antoni will use a big at 4. Clint Capela will be playing center. I hope Montrezl Harrell fits into D'Antoni's system because I don't want Terrence Jones or Sam Dekker on the Rockets roster next year.

11. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

More of a PF too me I think him and DMO and Herrell combo would be nice if we can find a solid a backup reliable center

12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I honestly like Capela at center. His body frame/type reminds me of Hakeem.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Today you cannot play a 4 who not only can't shot, but doesn't have an offensive game at all...Clint is just decent/good in rolling after a screen.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

He's a center.

Enough of the twin-tower-can't-shoot-beyond-5-feet duo.

Asik-Howard
    Capela-Howard
    No no no no no

15. basketballholic

Our best defensive front last season was Howard/Capela. It was the only combination that allowed us to consistently win the defensive glass and cut opponents finishing percentage down to a positive number for our defensive unit save for the few scant minutes we played Howard/Smith or Smith/Capela together.

Capela is best served playing the defensive 4 alongside a dominant paint and rim defender like Dwight. He's not strong enough to play the 5 and if he puts on the necessary bulk to bang around as a 5 be will likely lose a lot of explosion.

If Capela was smart (he isn't) and/or if he had the proper group of advisors/coaches (there's a chance) he'd be in the gym every day this summer working on the catch-and-shoot 3-ball. Shooting the 3 is the most significant single skill that Capela could develop that would make him a difference-maker and earn him a huge contact in 2 more seasons. And shooting the 3 would only enhance his value at either the 4 or 5 regardless of how his body develops. At the 5, he would open up a myriad of offensive options by being able to run PnR or pick-and-pop. At the 4 alongside a power 5 he could do the same things while being able to use his length and athleticism to stay with small 4's or switch onto perimeter matchups as needed.

Capela should be focused on developing specific skills at this stage of his career instead of worrying about playing a defined position.

#15 basketballholic, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He can't even shoot free throws at a decent clip and you want him jacking 3's?

LULZ.

Let him learn to make FT's at about 60% first.

17. basketballholic

Didn't say I wanted him jacking 3's.

What I said was he should develop a serious catch-and-shoot 3-ball if he wanted to best enhance his value on the court and in his bank account.

#17 basketballholic, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  18. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

He needs to be able to shoot 3s and be our Serge Ibaka.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How do you expect him to develop a serious 3-ball when he can't even develop a serious Free throw?

Baby steps.....

20. chandlerbang21

unless he gets a jumper like Ibaka he needs to stay at center