1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese cuisine...?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by payaso, Feb 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. payaso

payaso Member

I hope the fans in mainland China can answer this once and for all.

There is a story about 'spare rib soup' that is ordered off-menu in Cantonese restaurants.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/boiled-babies-make-great-soup-shocking.html

Reports of it going for 4000 yuan per bowl.

This story gains traction because of the Chinese practice of harvesting healthy organs from executed prisoners.

Is this real?

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Good thing I don't plan on eating anytime soon.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Best article quote ever.

6. Mr. Brightside

4000 yuan is a bit expensive. If it was around 1250-1500 yuan I would consider trying Baby Soup, but I don't got that kinda dough to throw around.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

While we're on this subject, I hope the fans in the US can answer this once and for all.

There are many stories about ufos and aliens appearing the US who are here to abduct us and give us anal probes.

http://ufos.about.com/od/aliensalienabduction/a/encounters2009.htm

One report say a young boy from the city of South Park was once abducted and they put a huge machine into the boy's butthole.

This story gains traction because there have been gazillion UFO movies and consipracy theories in the US for the past century.

Is this real?

1 person likes this.
  8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

ToyCen428, any comment??

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

omg, thats ****ing gross

10. Invisible Fan

No ****, but the question is whether you think Asians would really do it.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This seems to be a pretty primal fear. For all of history people have figured out who they were scared of and then written stories about them eating babies. It apparently tugs on some pretty core heartstrings.

It is known as blood libel.

[rquoter]
    Blood libels are false and sensationalized allegations that a person or group engages in human sacrifice, often accompanied by the claim that the blood of the victims is used in various rituals and/or acts of cannibalism. The alleged victims are often children.

Some of the best documented cases of blood libel focus upon accusations against Jews, but many other groups have been accused throughout history, including Christians, Cathars, Carthaginians, Knights Templar, witches, Wiccans, Christian heretics, Romani people, Mormons, neopagans, Native Americans, Africans, atheists and communists.

[/rquoter]

Apparently, we need to add Chinese to that list.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It wouldn't really surprise me. They eat weird **** over there. I never know what I am eating in China, they always just tell me it is Chinese pizza and then laugh.

13. Invisible Fan

Ahh yes, the "Chinese pizza" with aborted fetus parts gag.

You got punked buddy.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Don't I know it

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

does it keep the wang up?

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

So they eat weird stuff could imply that they eat aborted fetuses? I like your logic.

Btw, am I the only American who thinks food in China aren't all that different to Chinese restuarants in America? I mean, I order a Kungpao Chicken in Beijing, and it tastes pretty similar to that Kungpao Chicken I find at any Houston Chinese restaurants. Mindblowing indeed. :)

17. Mr. Brightside

Why do ethnic Chinese people not like PF Changs?

18. Invisible Fan

Because it's founded by a white dude, who I think also owns Outback Steakhouse.

Plus there's no chance of delicious baby fetus parts in their dishes. Imitation crab? feh...

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like my logic too ;)

Yes, you probably are. I will agree that the food in Beijing may not be all that different, but try going to other places throughout China, particularly the south, it is VERY different.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree, but I've seen the Beijing episode of Bizarre Foods (Yak penis anyone?):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wrw3a1GgPOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wrw3a1GgPOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and the No Reservations episodes for Beijing and Shanghai which are a little less bizarre, but different nonetheless:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BTW5nJs_nU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BTW5nJs_nU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQ9JZRbKFt8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQ9JZRbKFt8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Although, all the roasted animals from the Hong Kong episode of No Reservations looked pretty damn good.