1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone been to Thailand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

A friend of mine wants me to move over there. She's worried about all of the current turmoil here. I'm looking into it because I can work from anywhere and she says it is cheap as hell.

Anyone been? Any advice? Is it the type of place that would be worth living a couple years?

Jontro likes this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Hey guys. ... So I know this eskimo chick. Super hot. Wants ne to igloo with her just north of Alaska. I am badass right? F U Jeff.

CometsWin, Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

1) Never been to Thailand
    2) Time zone is +12 hours. Do you plan on working nights or perhaps you don’t deal with clients who need answers in real time
    3) Thread responses could be pretty hilarious

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been many times. I think you would like it. Friends of mine actually moved there. A single guy who has been living in Pattaya (of all places - I would never move there) for 15 years or so, but also a family with a child who live in Bangkok.

TMac'n and Jontro like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watch those Tiger Knees and Tiger Uppercuts.

Guy I know is married to a Tai lady. He says it's absolutely batshit there, from driving to living. Could be fun but...you might be a bit too long in the tooth and love your USA luxuries too much to enjoy it. . On the plus side, it's cheap.

Cost of Living Comparison Between Bangkok and Houston, TX

Consumer Prices in Houston, TX are 24.84% higher than in Bangkok
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in Houston, TX are 38.43% higher than in Bangkok
    Rent Prices in Houston, TX are 69.95% higher than in Bangkok
    Restaurant Prices in Houston, TX are 156.24% higher than in Bangkok
    Groceries Prices in Houston, TX are 17.68% higher than in Bangkok
    Local Purchasing Power in Houston, TX is 312.60% higher than in Bangkok

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I would pay to watch the adventures and exploits.

[​IMG]

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

She said she found a nice place there already for $400/mo. Not sure if it is in Bangkok. Says from her research that it would cost roughly half what I spend per month right now. Just started thinking about this as she brought it up only 2 weeks ago. Totally flaked on Time Zone differential. That could be an issue. We will see. It would be a big change.

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Another thing that makes me think about this is I've wanted to go to Dubai, Singapore, Tokyo. I could do all of those easily while there.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I have been to Thailand.

Thailand is a pretty area, but it is not terribly safe.

There are worse places to move for sure, but it would not be in my top 20 places...... it is also well known that Thailand covers up and under reports crime, especially against foreigners because it is so dependent on tourism.

Get used to seeing mopped bikes everywhere... and you will see some horrendous traffic accidents.

Avoid over drinking or going to parties where you get wasted.

The Thailand royal family are a bunch of oppressive assholes.

On the bright side there are lots of loose women (in the cities only) and lots of ex pats to hangout with.

The streotype of old English and American men coming to plow an endless line of women is true in certain parts...... just be aware that the locals HATE these men...... especially the local men hate foreigners.

With your prior history........ just be aware they will put you in prison for small things like criticizing Thailand or the government.... drugs are a HUGE no no, and prostitution is only tolerate in some places.... and the punishment in Thailand is quite draconian.

Also, foreigners keep jumping out of their hotel windows and off the balcony. It really is the damnedest thing..... regular, happy foreigners that just suddenly take a header into the concrete below.

Joshfast, Kim and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I love it there. Thailand Laos and Japan are my favorite places in Asia. And all verrrry different. If it is moving to Bangkok though I would consider visiting. That isn’t just a city. It’s gigantic and different by most measures in anything in the US. I have a good friend from high school that Is half Thai and half white, lives there and Phuket And took over his grandmother’s real estate business. So I’ve been all over that city and ate a ton of great food and partied more than enough. Good luck with your decision. I say go for it though if it is temporary. Life is short!

Roscoe Arbuckle and Kim like this.
  14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Try visiting first to see if you like it. I love visiting there, but the occasional Montezuma's revenge is much worse than the ones that happen stateside.

Jontro, Nook and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Place she found the house is in Phuket. Also sent me this video.

16. Nook

Nook Member

As for Bangkok... I wouldn’t live there personally but I have known some people that have moved and like it there. I have a friend that moved there with his young wife. They are big into threesomes with young Americans and Brits... the reason it is relevant is that you may not get too home sick, he claims there are a lot of Anglo’s in Bangkok.

Also it is a massive city. Last time I visited the sheer size and density of the place becomes suffocating if you don’t like large cities. There are almost 11 million legals living in Bangkok and a lot of illegals.

If I were moving outside the USA I would move to Northern Ireland (where I have lived), Ireland, England, Finland, Sweden, Germany, Italy or Australia.

New Zealand is probably the best place to stay long term.

China has a crime problem and the government is incredibly oppressive and intrusive. If you have a desire for an Asian wife, that is where to go. Chinese women love foreign men, especially from USA or UK or Canada... they also date to marry and if my friends are any indication, they are very willing to come to the USA.

I suggest people immigrating to the USA with money to come to Southern California or NY. Those with skills but light funds should consider Texas and Georgia.

Joshfast and IBTL like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

Classic Archer

jiggyfly, Kim, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Ray-Bans are $25 over there

19. Nook

Nook Member

The thing that none of these videos address is the crime.... that these countries under report and lie about their crime rates and that as a foreigner you are viewed as wealthy and as a target.

Having said that, if you are savvy and aware of crime and adventurous then it will be fun.

I know people all over the world happy living over seas (almost all men as women are often targets).

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Waiting for Jeff to chime in.

AroundTheWorld, Nook and Kim like this.