1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7 Things That Could Have Made This Outcome Different

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I know the finish sucked and the end results were the worst but I still see a silver lining on this loss and that is if plausible events would have different there is a good chance IMO the final outcome would have been different as well.

1. If Budinger can improve his confidence in his offensive game and his defense enough so he actually deserves to start over Battier! I love Battier but Budinger is such a better offensive player
    2. If Kyle Lowry is not injured and can relieve Brooks from ever playing long minutes. Brooks needs to be mr Speed on the floor. Extended minutes for him take he best skill away in the 4th.
    3. If Courtney Lee gets more experience and one day realizes he is the 5th option on offense which means he should never try to create his own shot and strictly stick to scoring on fastbreak points and open threes.
    4. If Scola ever gets his feet under him and gets his rhythm back and stops being messed up from having a baby and playing all those summer games.
    5. If we played them one month from now when we actually have some experience playing together as a team.
    6. If Patrick Patterson continues to improve over the course of the season enough to beat out Hayes. Yes as much as I love Hayes he still a major liability on offense and should not be on the court any extended minutes. We would be better with Landry off the bench but since he is gone my hope and belief is that Patterson who is already a much better offensive player and more athletic will become a good enough defensive player to deserve to take Hayes minutes.
    7. And Finally... If and When Yao gets his wind back and Rhythm Back and extended Minutes to at least 30 we would have won this game. Yes I know he fouled out but Yao has not to foul out and with more time he would not have fouled out tonight.

So there you have it if anyone of those seven were true tonight we would have one this game and the fact is all 7 of those are real possibilities and doesn't even include the fact that Shannon Brown had to have the best shooting night of his career and we probably make one trade before deadline designed strictly to improve this team.

So cheer up Rocket fans. Martin was right the coach should have played him in the 4th of that Dallas so the team could get a rhythm and one. I honestly that loss carried over a bit to this loss. We do not have the confidence to beat the elite teams down the stretch and a win against even in the preseason would have helped. But we will get better and we will win those games later barring injury.
      sa
    8. a

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Because of most of the things you listed, I actually thought that, despite the loss, this was a great game. We were without one of our most important players (Lowry is VITAL to our success since Brooks is so ineffective when tired), still managed to hang in, Yao looked pretty damn good, and the team learned the hard way that we need to keep running our offense, no matter what.

Our guys are going to gel and we'll only get better from here on. Gonna be a great season.

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Brooks is so ineffective period. He can't really make real plays. See Brad Miller's passes this game.

4. macho87

macho87 Member

8. Don't miss lay ups

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

DUMB DUMB DUMB

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Six things that could of been different:

1.) Not having Martin on Bryant in the begining, picking up fouls and then not being able to play in the third.
    2.) Scola missing easy shots he used to make all the time easily.
    3.) Not leaving Brown and Blake open at the 3 point line.
    4.) Giving Hill some time when the rest of our bigs were inept defensively.
    5.) Lowry being able to play and giving Brooks an actual breather.
    6.) Shooting a 3 for the final shot.

7. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Funny people keeps saying we would of won with Lowry... they were without Bynum and Kobe isn't right... can't be using injury excuses at this time of year! Agree with the rest though.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think that you know you're wrong. :rolleyes:

9. DUHK

DUHK Member

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR NUMBER 1!! Man... When Kevin Martin sat on the bench, that's when our offense went cold. I think if AB would have had his partner out there, they would have been able to keep the offense going.. Especially since Luis just absolutely did not look himself out there.. Man was he off today..

I still believe if Luis made more of those easy shots he was given then the Rockets would have came out with a victory here. Luis was soo off.

10. DUHK

DUHK Member

Also your #5 too... I mean Ish is good and all, but he definitely isn't ready to be a good enough back up for AB even with Lowry out with injury.

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

LOL at your name and your post.

12. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

8. If the refs did not screw us over. That technical on Martin was completely bogus, and the Yao goaltending that was as clean a block as it gets, just these two bad calls cost us 3 points. :grin:

13. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I thought the Scola travel call on the lay-up near the end was pretty questionable. That doesn't get called outside of LA.

And I loved the scene where Lamar Odom committed assault and battery on Brad Miller, knock the ball out of bounds, then have the ref who was RIGHT THERE proceed to throw his hands up because he knew there was no way he could spin it to help the Lakers. Eventually a better ref had to come over and call the foul and send Miller to the FT line.

In fact, Lamar Odom was a one-man loose-ball-fouling machine out there. It's sad that in the playoffs the refs will resort to allowing him to get comfortable with such dirty play.

15. clippy

clippy Member

When you play the Lakers, you pretty much have to spot them about 10 points on dubious calls. This has been the case for years. Usually it's pretty well-hidden but last year Stern made it real obvious what the agenda was when he put Laker lover Joey Crawford in 3/7 Finals games. That's indefensible.

1 person likes this.
  16. macho87

macho87 Member

When you see Joey Crawford, just expect to be Brian_Chapman'd all night long. Expect to be screwed over.

But honestly, the Rockets had this game. They should have closed it out.

17. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

The abilty to close
    Lack of closer ( CAnthony wink wink)
    Less Battier and Chuck
    Adleman playing other guys when one is obviously struggling
    Ref *** us over
    Learn to play under pressure not melt away as usual (past 11 years)

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I disagree with #6, Did u see when Hayes came in the 2nd quarter..? he literally shut down Gasol, Hayes is great defensive player and I would rather have him over Hill and Patterson, but then again there are some games where you need certain players on the court.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Joey Crawford wasn't officiating the game..!! it some other referee I don't remember his name.

20. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

this was the one that killed the Rockets today. If they hit their layups today they win