1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why So Much Hate Against One of the Rockets' Best Playoff Performers Since 1995?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jbasket, Jan 26, 2015.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

Hakeem, Akeem, Olajuwon, and Dream are all Dreamy names. Don't distort the truth here.

Tmac, Mcgrady, Tracy, all pale in comparison to the Dreamy names.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I thought we lost game 1 because of a bad call involving Howard and Lopez (2 fts went the wrong way, NBA later admitted the mistake)
    I thouht we lost game 4 because of a bad tech on Howard (NBA later rescinded the T)

Props to Aldridge, but we won 1 of those first 2 games, and had already won the series 4-1 before the game involving Lillard and the shot....
    Really poor officiating cost us 2nd round last year

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Dwight's skills will be more appreciated in the playoffs.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

From a historical point of view it's not saying much because it was only 6 games. Great stretch, but so was Linsanity. I give props for that stretch, but it's not enough to indicate he (or Lin) can keep it up from one year to the next, or even from one series to another. You're also almost implying he's up there with dream, but he did it from series to series, against great bigs.

It sounds like you're referring to the future though...and given how Dwight has been playing, it's not saying much either because he's unlikely to do it again. It would already be unlikely, if he just went up against better bigs, but now that he can't hustle on foot, spin, or jump repeatedly to block shots? Maybe you think or expect him to get better by then, I just don't. I think it's more likely this will linger on for the rest of the season, and that's if he doesn't get hurt any worse.

5. kemah

kemah Member

The site here hates Dwight and loves Dmo and no matter what stats you bring will not change anything. Now they will hate you for not agreeing that Dwight sucks and Dmo is the best.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

The difference between Lin is that he was an unknown, un-scouted player whom posted some great numbers in the regular season. Linsanity was also historic: can you name another undrafted player whome did that?

Dwight is a known, scouted, superstar who has posted great numbers in many playoff series. And it is not just an aberration: there is a clear correlation that when he is allowed to play more physical, aka playoffs, he is more dominant.

I am not implying he is Dream: I positively compared him to *one* Hakeem series. One.

In the OP, I said if he is injured, so be it. So if you believe that he won't get healthy, and thus will be the downfall of his play, I can't argue with that. We will just have to see with time.

7. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I like this thread and OP.

People will ignore the facts. Dwight has somehow become their scapegoat and it is relatively unwarranted.

I just REALLY hope Dwight brings it in the playoffs so all the Dwight haters can eat crow. By the way, believing in the Rockets means believing in Dwight too.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I was referring to the "since 1995" part of the title. I just don't think rockets fans can read that, think back to Dream, and be amazed by Dwight's 6 games. You did write "Rockets Playoff Performers" in the title, so I was only taking into consideration last season's playoffs.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Well done, OP. You went overboard a little on some of your selective analysis, but Dwight is good and he is waiting for the playoffs and I'm not complaining. Incidentally, Yao was better than Dwight, but I don't care.

I don't get why so many people are unhappy. It's entertainment. If your entertainment makes you unhappy, NEWS FLASH: you are unhappy.

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

The Dwight hate is hilarious. This board is really fast to overreact. Go read Harden threads a year ago; they were polluted with WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT KMART!

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dwight did play great in last year's playoffs series. We lost because (1) Harden didn't step up, and (2) McHale didn't adjust soon enough to defend LMA. It was not Dwight's fault at all.

But that's last year. This year, Dwight's health is a HUGE concern.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly - and his lack of effort since he came back is seriously disheartening.

DD

13. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I've said it many times before. That Portland series only went 6 games because of DH .

His injuries this year are very concerning though and after his performance in the playoffs, his play thus far this season has been a letdown in comparison.

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He's obviously still rusty and/or injured. His post game recently is beyond horrendous - there's clearly still something wrong with him. Normally, Dwight can hit a few of the hooks he throws up, but lately he's been way off. It's pretty clear that he isn't right yet but he suits up and plays hard for the team still.

The guy plays hard and plays through injury. You guys have absolutely no reason to keep hating on this guy.

15. Remii

Remii Member

The fact is Portland played him heavily one on one with Side Show Bob... But yes. He was great for that once in a blue moon performance. If he had a history of playing in the post like he did in the playoffs ---> different story... But he doesn't. So criticism of his inconsistency is very warranted.

16. JazzLakerHater

I know Dwight went off in the playoffs and he deserves credit for that, but I felt like that it played well into Portland's hands. I don't think the Blazers were too concerned whether or not Dwight went off. I think they were primarily concerned about Harden and our shooters much more than Dwight.

17. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

This. Dwight was easily the best player for us during playoffs and Harden was the worst. I will reserve my judgment for Dwight for when it actually matters: the playoffs. He certainly doesn't deserve the trash he's getting now.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right now Dwight is not very good. Whatever the reason might be - he's not playing well enough to elevate us from a good to great team.

Harden is doing everything he can.

If this team is going to compete - someone else has to step up big and step up consistently. But who?

19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

wow, thanks for reminding me how awesome t-mac is. he's one of the greatest rockets ever.

20. NotChandlerParsons

C'mon now I don't think anyone ever went that far.