1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Could the Rockets get Yi?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRowdy111, Jul 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

If we can get Yi and Ginobili/Nocioni.. that would make us an International all star team.

2. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I am not too sure about your last statement. Yi could be more athletic, but not necessarily a better rebounder or shotblocker. Beside compared with Scolar, Yi's play could be considered rather soft. Yao Ming needs a strong and physical power forward willing to take up all those blue collar dirty work for him. Scola seemed a better fit than Yi Jianlian in that regard.

When reporters asked Big Yao about his impression of Luis Scola in Beijing, Yao Ming said he still had that stint of fear in him, as he remembered playing against Scola before.

He said Luis Scola is an outstanding power forward, and he plays a fierce and physical role in the Argentina national team. He also mentioned Scola has great skills and nice shooting touches, but better still, he plays smart team basketball. Yao Ming said he eagerly looks forward to partner with Scola.

Yao Ming also told the reporters, the new season will pose a new challenge to Scola as a rookie in adapting to NBA, and at the same time also a new challenge to him because of the arrival of Rick Adelman. He anticipates he will need to make major changes to his game and role in the team under Rick Adelman. "We have a new head coach. We will have a complete different systems/game plan. We shall have to make alot of changes. It will present a stern test not only for Scola but also me."

3. Bank_Shot

Bank_Shot Contributing Member

Watched Yi play some in the summer league and he is not ready for the NBA. He has some good tools but needs time to develop. We don't need a project big man.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Scola>>>>>>>Yi. from what i've seen, yi is overrated. i can believe people were saying he is gonna better then yao. Yi wouldnt be able to carry yao's socks. same goes for scola. scola is better then yi in every department.

5. roxfan_bos

roxfan_bos Member

How did you know his age?

6. yaozzzi

yaozzzi Member

Wow, i guess only someone whos immatured, stupid and dumass himself would say somthing like this. Oh BTW are u bucks fan or somethin?

7. yaozzzi

yaozzzi Member

DUDe, i dont disagree we dont need him on our team, but who the f u think u are to call someone BS...

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That means there can never be more than 30 Chinese players in the NBA.

9. bushi63

bushi63 Member

The Bucks made it very clear that they had no intention of trading Yi and i think they are gonna stick to it. So if Yi isn't in Milwaukee I think his career in the NBA is pretty much over since they own his draft rights. If I was the Bucks I would do the same and let it be a lesson to all those foreign Eli Mannings who wanna whine about where they end up!!!

10. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

Yeah, 4 for 1 trades are made at least every other day... I think Milwaukee would do that trade just to do it. They've always wanted a mediocre point guard glut and I'm the Rockets would be more than willing to accomodate them in that quest... :rolleyes:

Though I do agree that Villanueva is a potnetial target. Bogut not so much, but you never know with Morey.

11. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

I like Chinese.
    They come from a long way overseas,
    but they're cute and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

12. aznhowie20

aznhowie20 Member

isnt it true that if he doesnt sign, but still wants to play in the NBA, he has to wait 2 years to be drafted again?

in this case, if rockets DO get an unprotected first round pick for JL3 for the year yi becomes eligible that would be good. yi would be more developed by then.

but then again im dreaming at work... haha

13. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

A one word answer: no. The reason? Too much money, and the Bucks will not give him up, despite how upset he is about playing there. I wouldn't mind him in a Rockets uniform, and I bet he wouldn't be mad either, but do we really need him at this point? We just acquired Scola.

14. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Maybe the Lakers will make a deal for Yi ... Kobe and Yi versus T-mac and Yao. That should be fun to watch.

15. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

It sure would, but Yao would kill Yi ;) .

16. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

:eek: :eek:

Anyways hell no to that whiny boy

17. rnbni99a

rnbni99a Member

not happenin

18. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

This thread deserves defecating on.

19. htownclones

htownclones Member

Can you really blame Yi? Who wants to live in Milwaukee? Most of us wouldn't. So why would you want to play basketball there. Why are you guys dog-piling on Yi? Just because he is foreign. Stevie Francis , Eli Mannig, and Elway did the same stuff. I haven't seen as much bad press as Yi is getting now. Milwaukee was stupid to draft him. They knew he didn't want to go and they still picked them.

that's my two cents.

20. SupraJames

SupraJames Member

I completely agree in that Scola is an awesome fit to Yao. But I just said that Yi has the potential to be a better fit than Yao due to his athleticism, not anytime soon though it seems. Yi might look like he plays soft compared to Scola right now, but that's because his body and game hasn't matured yet compared to Luis. His style might never evolve into a hard nose player like Scola, but he definitely doesn't play soft. Watching him in summer league, he actually plays very strong for a foreign rookie (a rarity).