1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Buck Turgidson

Very much Texas BBQ, that's how people have been cooking pigs in the Hill Country for generations. Don't tell the Carolinians, but they even used mustard/vinegar based sop. Cabrito's done the same, just different spices.

Never done any bbq standing up like your cajun pig video, reminds me of Argentina, I've been meaning to weld a couple of these racks:

[​IMG]

The whole steer cook is proper fun, my buddy rigged up the rack so you could lift it with a tractor/skid steer, pull 2 pins and flip the whole thing over, and set it back on the pit.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, of course, but dozens of cultures on the planet probably have some form of sausage somewhere in their lineage. I was referring to the fact Texas is really known for their brisket while the east coast is all about pig. It's like there's a form of a "flat thin bread" in hundreds of cultures around the planet, but when you think of that in the US, most people think of Mexico and the tortilla. There are probably 3-5 different styles of bbq in Texas alone influenced by Czech, Polish, and Mexican immigrants, but all most people think of when they think of Texas BBQ is "central texas" or "hill country" style.

The first place I ever saw that done was years ago from a picture of a giant bbq somebody was having in Argentina. That's when I first discovered the love they have for meat. Just goes to show you really don't need a $1000-$2000 pit to cook great meat.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

The next in Texas BBQ:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/building-a-biobq-brisket/

Two Austin Women Hope to Build the First Lab-Grown Brisket

That’s when Kam expects BioBQ, the company she started with cofounder Janet Zoldan in late 2018, will harvest its first lab-grown brisket. Kam and Zoldan want the world’s first lab-grown barbecue to be produced or, as they describe it, “cultivated,” in Austin.

The framework was only the beginning. They’ll need to design each component of a brisket separately, like the lean muscle, the fat, and the collagen. Kam has been reading meat science studies about the brisket structure they’re trying to replicate. The components will need to be grown alongside one another and intertwine to mimic the structure of a brisket. That’s a challenge, Kam says, that most lab-grown meat projects won’t encounter because they focus on ground meat like burgers and chicken nuggets—food that has “no texture and orientation,” unlike brisket, adds Zoldan.

And that demonstrates the odd duality of a product like BioBQ. It is not to be confused with the Impossible Burger or other plant-based meats. This will be meat-based meat, which is grown from bovine cells harvested via biopsy. The fact that they’ll produce real meat is the whole point. Kam’s mission isn’t to persuade omnivores to adapt to her vegan diet, but rather to provide them a beef option that doesn’t require animal slaughter. “No animal had to die for this,” she explains, which is why she feels that eating BioBQ won’t compromise her vegan principles.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I am an unrepentant omnivore. Attempting to reproduce brisket in a lab just seems . . . wrong.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I read that on Texas Monthly a couple of weeks ago and wasn't sure how to feel about it. On the one hand it sounds positively disgusting, but on the other hand, does that mean eventually I could grow my own brisket? Hmm....

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Today’s edition of Texas BBQ from outside Texas is from Durango Colorado. Despite poor reviews on Yelp I decided to give “Serious Texas BBQ” a try mostly so I could sit on their patio overlooking river and enjoy the weather while I worked. Let’s just say the view was nice, and the BBQ was meh. I guess that’s why they didn’t name the restaurant Seriously GOOD Texas BBQ.

1/4 lb moist brisket was blah and didn’t have any flavor... and to top it off they cut off all the bark. Barely edible. Grade: D-

The ribs were a little better but not much. They were almost too dry to eat and again lacking any real flavor. Grade D+

I won’t be back unless it’s to enjoy the weather on the deck.

F20370EB-70A4-44FC-AF8E-2603079D596A.jpeg DD0324E8-98C4-4A3F-974B-BF2E92699F57.jpeg

#1806 VooDooPope, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

@VooDooPope , are you heading up to the Denver area? And damn, that's a nice view. One of the reasons I want to get out of Dallas. LOL.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm not heading into Denver on this trip. Probably spend another week around Pagosa Springs/Durango.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, ok. I was going to tell you to try a place up there that everyone says is pretty good - Owlbear BBQ. But now that I look online, it looks like they're online only during COVID. Oh well. He used to work at Franklin, from what I remember.

FranchiseBlade, Blatz and VooDooPope like this.
  10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll store this in the memory for next time I come up here. Next time i visit might be the last time I visit. I hope to move up here before the end of the year. Such an incredible state.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

20A72D51-8CB7-41B3-BA7C-3ED03A3556AC.jpeg Back in Texas to vote and grab some BBQ before heading back out after thanksgiving. In Cedar Park north of Austin Stiles Switch opened up a second location. I finally got to stop in for a visit.

I picked up a 2 meat plate with moist brisket and pork ribs.

Brisket was as moist and flavorful. Solid A-
    Ribs were awesome. Had a nice heavy black pepper flavor which is different from the flavor profile you get in a lot of places. They were well cooked even when I stopped in at 7pm with a nice bite but pulling away from the bone easily. Solid A

I’m not much into the sides but the pinto beans were tasty and the fries were as well. Best BBQ in the Cedar Park/Leander area for sure.

Bonus point much of the decor on the walls comes from the recently closed Threadgill’s.

#1811 VooDooPope, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Gotta pick up some macalu meat. Primo cut.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hit up Pinkertons in H town last week . Good stuff but I like Truth better

14. SuraGotMadHops

That looks like complete ass (the bbq, the view is A++)

davidio840, VooDooPope and STR8Thugg like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

For those of you with more money than skills (or sense), or you want to impress the Mexican Industrialists at your next backyard shindig, Franklin's is now delivering nationwide via goodbelly. $250 (includes shipping!) will get you a 5-lb brisket and a bottle of sauce.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

$35 dollars for 15-lb brisket, apply rub, and then onto the Old Smokey. I have $715 to spend on whatever I want using shopaholic math.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

that is INSANE!

davidio840, Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I was going to try this until I saw the price. Will just keep cooking my own. It's getting cold, so I might try some brisket tamales and pulled pork tamales.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Anyone try them yet?

20. Buck Turgidson

That looks ****ing awesome.

arkoe likes this.